Wanting to give up

Options
It's only been about 2 and a half weeks but I'm already feeling discouraged.
I didn't have weight to lose, I just want to change fat to muscle. But I feel like every time I look in the mirror I'm getting bigger than I was when I started. I want to lose the "pooch" and I could suck in a bit and see myself without it, now I feel like I can't even suck it in.
I've been doing cardio, and ab conditioning, changed my eating habits, and am drinking nothing but water.
I'm focusing so hard on doing the right things and I feel like I'm getting bigger than when I started.
Right now I just feel like I'm stressing myself over every calorie and whether or not I'm getting enough protein or fiber, less carbs, low sodium, healthy fats, etc. And I'm just viewing myself as getting bigger.

Replies

• irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Are you eating enough? I know that sounds weird, but that could be a problem...
  • wrmon81
    wrmon81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Believe me, you're not the only one in that case, and it is absolutely fine. I would advise you, if you are not already doing so, to work out with friends. It is much better to have something to take your mind off everything when someone is doing cardio with you.

Also, here is a sentence that I've heard quite a few times lately: "When you think about quitting, remember why you started in the first place."

You may want to try and set daily or weekly goals, not necessarily based on weight loss but rather personal challenges that are still achievable with some effort. Things like run a mile every day, whatever works for you.

Your state of mind is very important when it comes to getting results. Try not to let yourself get discouraged, I'm sure perseverance will pay eventually. Remember, two weeks is a relatively short time, and it most likely will take longer than that to see the results you'd like to see.

Good luck :smiley:
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Are you eating enough? I know that sounds weird, but that could be a problem...
    Around 1200 calories a day.
    Just for curiosity, why would eating less make me feel bigger?
  • allison_moushey
    Options
    wrmon81 wrote: »
    Hi there!

Believe me, you're not the only one in that case, and it is absolutely fine. I would advise you, if you are not already doing so, to work out with friends. It is much better to have something to take your mind off everything when someone is doing cardio with you.

Also, here is a sentence that I've heard quite a few times lately: "When you think about quitting, remember why you started in the first place."

You may want to try and set daily or weekly goals, not necessarily based on weight loss but rather personal challenges that are still achievable with some effort. Things like run a mile every day, whatever works for you.

Your state of mind is very important when it comes to getting results. Try not to let yourself get discouraged, I'm sure perseverance will pay eventually. Remember, two weeks is a relatively short time, and it most likely will take longer than that to see the results you'd like to see.

Good luck :smiley:

I try it! I think I just need to get into a better routine. I'm moving to New Jersey for the summer (I live in Missouri) so I've been busy trying to get things done for the move and my job has me scheduled some mornings then nights then mornings again so all my workouts and meals are always at different times. Maybe that's part of it?
  • allison_moushey
    Options
    I think I'm just overwhelming myself. I'm taking it too far. Maybe I need to start slower. Focus on just on calorie deficit and not so much on the nutrition "goals" on here. Make changes like instead on a honey bun, eat fruit or carrots with peanut butter. Less bread and pasta, etc.
    It's a lot of work to plan out everything keeping all these "rules" in mind. I just don't have the time to put that much attention to everything with this move right now.
    So maybe I'll just do simple food changes and keep up with cardio and conditioning.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1200 calories with that much workout? No, you need more food. And you may have more fun with Fitocracy which has an emphasis on the exercise rather than the food.
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Use your BMR and then the Harris Benedict Equation to figure out how many calories you really need. I'm 5'6 176lbs and to maintain a loss of 1.3 lbs a week I take in 1200 without work outs included. If you're working out, there's no way that's enough calories for you, and it might be why you're having trouble.
    Also, check to see if you're getting enough calcium. In women it is especially important to get enough calcium while dieting. If there is not enough, your body will retain fat.
    Buttttt 2 1/2 weeks in, also remember that working out injures your muscles, so they swell and retain water while strengthening. You will gain a little before you lose a little, especially if you're out of shape.
    Take measurements once a week as well. Sometimes you feel bigger, but are smaller. In addition, your new diet might be giving you a bit of belly bloat.
  • crrh1984
    crrh1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm new to this but I'm 4'11" and weigh around 108lbs and my calories are 1400 so as people said above you could need more food. I'm still changing my figures but I was 1200 last week and I was starving! Try to eat homemade, nutrient dense foods and get some healthy fats in as I find they keep me feeling full. Best of luck but hang in there. You've started. That's the hard part x
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Eating at the bare minimum caloric requirement for women will not get you any muscle gain. You need to look into doing a proper bulk to gain muscle if you don't need to lose weight - eating at a slight surplus and lifting heavy things. There are groups on here, and a number of very knowledgeable people ( @MrM27 @JoRocka @Sarauk2sf ), that can help you with that. Also, you cannot spot reduce fat, nor is this something that will happen in a matter of weeks. People spend months and years working towards a leaner and more muscular body.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

If you want muscle, eating a calorie deficit won't get you there. You need a surplus or at least maintenance to start making small gains. Eat enough, pick up heavy things and put them down, and hit your protein macros.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    DawnIn wrote: »
    Don't give up... I have been a part of the most amazing community of people since last October and at 50 have never felt so strong and confident. If you would like to message me..I would love to help you with you struggles.

Oh, MFP? Yeah, it's great.
    If you're trying to sell the OP something, take it elsewhere.
  • allison_moushey
    Options

If you want muscle, eating a calorie deficit won't get you there. You need a surplus or at least maintenance to start making small gains. Eat enough, pick up heavy things and put them down, and hit your protein macros.

Oh I see. I don't really know how many calories I was eating before since I want keeping track so I'm not sure what a maintenence amount is. But I'll look up what @coraborealis80 was suggesting to find out! I really appreciate your comments. I do feel better about how much I'll eat now. I think after focusing on staying at 1200 for even just 2 weeks made me feel discouraged because it was difficult. Lol
  • allison_moushey
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eating at the bare minimum caloric requirement for women will not get you any muscle gain. You need to look into doing a proper bulk to gain muscle if you don't need to lose weight - eating at a slight surplus and lifting heavy things. There are groups on here, and a number of very knowledgeable people ( @MrM27 @JoRocka @Sarauk2sf ), that can help you with that. Also, you cannot spot reduce fat, nor is this something that will happen in a matter of weeks. People spend months and years working towards a leaner and more muscular body.

I need to work on my patience. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Just gotta keep that in my mind. And I'll definitely look for the groups! I feel like there's just a lot I don't know about this stuff so I was getting overwhelmed. Thank you for tagging those that could help me too! I really appreciate any advise