I HATE Bananas!

Options
The sheer smell of them makes me feel sick. BLAH

I know they are the best thing to eat but what alternatives can you suggest? I run once/twice a week and would love to have something beforehand that helps me out.

Replies

• Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    eat an apple or a granola bar--- I usually eat after workouts but apples are good for you, they keep you full :)
  • FierceFox81
    FierceFox81 Posts: 89
    Options
    Apples are a great sources of extra energy.. supposedly equivalent to a cup of coffee. Bananas are full of potassium, so if you are looking for something to help with that, maybe a potassium supplement. That's what I take when I start noticing cramps from running. Good luck!
  • apeydawn
    apeydawn Posts: 52
    Options
    Wish I could help you here but I love banana's!!
    Here is a list of foods high in Potassium if that's what you are looking for.
    List of Potassium Rich Foods
    Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Brazil Nuts, Brown Rice, Cantaloupe, Figs, Honeydew, Kiwi, Legumes, Lima beans, Milk, Oranges, Orange Juice, Peaches, Potatoes, Prunes, Rasins, Roasted Peanuts with skin, Spinach, Squash, Vegetable Juices, Wheat Bread, White Rice, Winter Squash, Yogurt

Tomatoes, milk products, avocados, meats, potato, celery

Carrots, broccoli, rasins, prunes, watermelon,

Fish: Cod, flounder, sardines, salmon, poultry: chicken, turkey are high potassium foods.

Hamburger, grains such as bran and wheat.

Artichoke, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Corn, Dates, Green Beans, Green Peppers, Iceburg

Letttuce, Kidney Beans, Onions, Papayas, Parsley, Pumpkin, Peas, Romaine Lettuce, Strawberries, Sweet Potato, Tomato. Note that potassium is found in the skin of many vegetables
  • emoslayer84
    emoslayer84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with the apples. I eat my regular dinner, wait 30-45 minutes, go workout for 30-45 minutes, immediately eat a fresh apple after work. I do granny smith apples because they are more sour than sweet, settles better on stomach. :)
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Too funny!!! I had 2 cases of them in my car and almost was sick driving to work from the smell!!! They were leftover from a 5K/10K race this weekend so I brought them to work to share.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for potassium 1c. zucchini has more potassium. Grapefruit and oranges have potassium too.
  • mackemshazza
    mackemshazza Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you replies x
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I know they are the best thing to eat but what alternatives can you suggest? I run once/twice a week and would love to have something beforehand that helps me out.

IF you're just looking for a quick carb pre-run, any simple carb will do. So any non-fibrous fruit or baked good will get the job done.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas too. If my morning run is 40 minutes or less I'll go on an empty stomach. For a longer run, I like toast and boiled eggs. It takes a long time to digest, though, so sometimes I get up early, eat and go back to bed!

I found porridge great for energy but bad for the guts!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think bananas are an essential part of anyone's diet. If you eat other fruit, they are unnecessary, and really high in calories compared to apples or peaches.

If you don't like them, don't eat them!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    kiwi