Fitness trackers for weight lifting

Options

Replies

• FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use JEFIT it records the time you work out and your breaks and all exercises and old post to keep track of gains. an 1 1/2 hr work out after the 60 second breaks and everything ends up being only like 39 min of really working out and that's what I put in MFP and leave the calories like that. works decent
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    so in other words, if you turn on your fitness tracker for strength training. and Lets say in 40 minutes of stop and start strength training, i burn ,according to the tracker, 600 cals, then that is wrong right?
  • raven56706
    Options
    bump to see if anyone can answer my question
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    so in other words, if you turn on your fitness tracker for strength training. and Lets say in 40 minutes of stop and start strength training, i burn ,according to the tracker, 600 cals, then that is wrong right?

Right, it's wrong.
  • raven56706
    Options

Right, it's wrong.

so would this mean i didnt burn any calories and i shouldnt put calories burned to MFP?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Right, it's wrong.

so would this mean i didnt burn any calories and i shouldnt put calories burned to MFP?

That isn't what it means. It means your fitness tracker is incapable of determining the number of calories burned for that activity.
  • raven56706
    Options
    quick question then... if my routine is:
    • Bike for 5 minutes
    • Strength training (backs and Biceps)
    • Elliptical

and my polar says i burned 500 calories

should i input that in myfitnesspal or only half?
  • raven56706
    Options
    sorry but i just want to know because i want to make sure im doing it right
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    quick question then... if my routine is:
    • Bike for 5 minutes
    • Strength training (backs and Biceps)
    • Elliptical

and my polar says i burned 500 calories

should i input that in myfitnesspal or only half?

Can you pause your HRM while you are doing your strength training?
  • raven56706
    Options
    i definitely can. most Def. but i seem to burn alot more during strength than the cardio. But i guess the polar is just for the cardio correct(as in the bike and ellipitcal)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

No, you just burned far fewer than the tracker says you burned. 40 minutes of resistance training, call it 200cals.

Hel it takes me an hour to burn 600 cals running.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »
    Pen and paper may work for you, but you can achieve that same long term accessibility you're referring to without touching pen and paper...

Sure, by contorting yourself into knots to make it happen.

Still I can pull a book off the shelf, flip to this day in history and see what's going on.

And easy to make decent notes on injuries, sleep, intensity, diet, technique concerns, how you respond to this kind of rep scheme, frequency, how other training modalities may be feeding in/detracting from performance, etc.

All easy to do in notebook form, all easily accessible at a later date, no technological meltdown can threaten it. No technological revolution will obsolete it.

Simple, flexible, future-proof, easy to use.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    sorry but i just want to know because i want to make sure im doing it right

You can google for the MET values of the activities you are undertaking and work it out roughly for yourself. Then input that value as a custom entry in MFP.

You can use an online calculator such as this:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

as an example.

Please be aware that this will still be an estimate, because only you know what intensity you are working, etc. But it'll give you an idea.

You can work out your weight training, elliptical and cycling separately for their respective durations and then sum them to get the gross value. You can then subtract the amount of cals you would have burned in a coma to get a rough net calorie burn value if you want to be super picky and Bob's your uncle.

Please be aware, that anything you use will just be a more or less accurate estimation at the end of the day. Close enough is good enough...
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i definitely can. most Def. but i seem to burn alot more during strength than the cardio. But i guess the polar is just for the cardio correct(as in the bike and ellipitcal)

Which polar are you using, and how long are you doing cardio, today I did on 1hour of demanding cardio, and only burn 664 cal, but mine has different profiles. I change according to what I'm doing to keep the cal burn separate
  • nbooth07
    nbooth07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about "push" tracker? Anyone used that?
    http://www.trainwithpush.com
  • raven56706
    Options
    im using the polar blue tooth strap. I use digifit to cal the calories. I guess my question would be : how would i know how much to eat if i dont track calories burned for strength training? i can calculate the cardio work but was wondering if i should factor in strength training.

i appreciate everyones input and i think this can help others as well
  • raven56706
    Options
    bump
  • jimmmer
    edited June 2015
    Options
    im using the polar blue tooth strap. I use digifit to cal the calories. I guess my question would be : how would i know how much to eat if i dont track calories burned for strength training? i can calculate the cardio work but was wondering if i should factor in strength training.

Have a look at my last reply - it was directly in reply to you and directly addressed how you would work it out. I quote it here, because you obviously didn't read it:
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You can google for the MET values of the activities you are undertaking and work it out roughly for yourself. Then input that value as a custom entry in MFP.

You can use an online calculator such as this:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

as an example.

Please be aware that this will still be an estimate, because only you know what intensity you are working, etc. But it'll give you an idea.

You can work out your weight training, elliptical and cycling separately for their respective durations and then sum them to get the gross value. You can then subtract the amount of cals you would have burned in a coma to get a rough net calorie burn value if you want to be super picky and Bob's your uncle.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

You mean like in every other thread where it's explained that HRMs aren't effective for guestimating calorie expenditure in most circumstances.