Blown shoulder

Options
So they found bone spurs on my C5 and C6. arthitis, and muscle spasms in my shoulder. They put me in 12 sessions of PT to try and reduce the inflamation in the shoulder muscles. But don't want me lifting weights or doing "high impact" cardio like running and jumping rope. That pretty much wiped out my whole training program. I have no idea where to go from here to get my cardio and strength training. Any ideas?

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    My shoulder is messed up,too. I am wondering the same thing.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've been having shoulder troubles too recently - I think from lifting too heavy or something. How did they find this out? What do those things feel like (I'm wondering if it could be similar to what's going on with me - I sure hope not).

Anyway, that SUCKS!!!!! I would be so upset.

A far a what to do instead, I suggest the elliptical. It's low impact, although you do use your arms, so maybe they don't want you doing that?? So maybe the stair machine or maybe the stationary bikes?? What about low-impact aerobics? I love my Cathe Intensity DVD and I have a couple of FIRM videos that are low impact but great workouts... If you want to know which ones, just let me know - I won't bother digging out the titles unless you want them :-)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    What about elliptical or biking without using your arms? Those bikes that sit back more would be easier on your shoulders, I think. The other option would be swimming with a kick board or water aerobics, again, without the arms. I would also ask your PT. They should have some suggestions for folks with injuries.

good luck! injuries suck, but if you modify, you can stay on track. :flowerforyou:
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    What do your PT people say about exercise under the circumstances? I had bone spurs in my shoulder..they removed those with arthroscopic surgery, and I was good to go. Swimming? What if you were to run or jog in the pool? I'm assuming that the running and jumping rope would really jar the spine. I have an artificial hip, so no running or jumping for me either. I get it done with walking and yoga. Check with your PT people. They can be very helpful.
    Also, check in your area and see if there is anyone who teaches theraputic yoga. I've been doing that for about a year. Classes are very small. We have someone with RA, someone with 3 fused bones in her neck, me, artificial hip..you get the drift here. The classes are small so she gave give each person the attention they need to supply alternate ways to do the poses to fit their problem. Yoga is great for strength building and flexibility, stamina...
    Just a thought.....
    Good luck!!
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump. I screwed up my shoulder too. Turning the heater off under my desk! LOL.

It's been months. Grrrrr SO FRUSTRATING!!

I've been doing Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism video. And that seems to be okay.

But then at night I sleep on that shoulder w/o even realising it and that doesn't help. I hear that swimming might be a low impact exercise that might actually fix the shoulder thing but I haven't tried it...
  • beezalar
    beezalar Posts: 10
    Options
    Walk and stationary bike will work as well as jogging...........just do it longer. Don't do any shoulder weight lifting, but you can still work the others. I tore my rotator cuff once and I know how it hurts............don't give up, there are alot of other things you can do that don't include the shoulder. Good luck and don't give up. Trisha