What am I doing wrong?? Help me somebody!!

ruelha
ruelha Posts: 16 Member
I am 29yr old 5'3" female. Started working out in dec 14 casually and intensely since Feb 15. been counting calories since Feb. Started with 53kgs and I am stable at 47.5-49kgs since the past 2months. I stay away from all processed food and simple carbs (except once-twice a week).My gym has very basic equipment and no trainer (in our building).So i use the treadmill, crosstrainer, 2kg dumbells, leg curls, leg press in the gym. i also do leg and glute exercises usimg my own body wt. I concentrate on one muscle group once a week. When its Ab day, I do 10-15 different ab exercises including crunches, sit ups, leg raises, cycling etc 50 times each.So my ab workout goes on for 1hr 15mins. I do lotsa free squats (150-200) with no weights on leg/glutes day. I dont use supplements or protein shakes. My protein intake is only 20-25% out of my 1400-1500calorie diet (used to be 1200 first 3months).I make sure i burn around 300-500calories in my HIIT which i do 3-5days a week.(Used to be 600-900calories 3months ago).But I still have a little tummy (27"waist).I really cannot lose more weight as I will be declared underweight and health is more important than looks to me. So what am i doibg wrong?? Why do i still have that tummy?!?!Will amping my protein intake to 30-40% help??Should I start Keto??

Replies

• DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    So why are you not losing that last bit of belly fat? Genetics, plain and simple. Everybody puts on weight in different areas first, be you a man or woman. Those areas will also be the last go. Continue to eat at a deficit. Continue your workouts, add more intensity if you want. Those last few pounds for everyone's trouble spots are notoriously difficult to lose. If you want adjust and add a little more protein in order to preserve what lean muscle mass you have and promote building up a little more. You should be at 0.8g-1g of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass that you have. Lean muscle mass is what is going to burn more calories and you do need to preserve what you have. If you are not a fan of protein shakes, just adjust for real food instead.

Good Luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    So why are you not losing that last bit of belly fat? Genetics, plain and simple. Everybody puts on weight in different areas first, be you a man or woman. Those areas will also be the last go. Continue to eat at a deficit. Continue your workouts, add more intensity if you want. Those last few pounds for everyone's trouble spots are notoriously difficult to lose. If you want adjust and add a little more protein in order to preserve what lean muscle mass you have and promote building up a little more. You should be at 0.8g-1g of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass that you have. Lean muscle mass is what is going to burn more calories and you do need to preserve what you have. If you are not a fan of protein shakes, just adjust for real food instead.

Good Luck!

Pretty much this.

Also, doing hundreds of reps of BW (or very light weight) exercises really isn't going to do much. 75mins of ab work isn't going to either. If you want to do weights, pick a beginner program of your choice and stick with it. You will see infinitely better results in body composition.
  • ruelha
    Thanks @DesertGunR, got it! Ill be adding more protein and go back to my initial momths' plan of calorie deficit.Only prob is I don't wanna lose more weight, just fat. Ill also be increasing the resistance.
    @DopeItUp Thanks for your advice. Ill try these things and see how it works out. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    added protein is not going to help preserve the muscle...you need to do resistance training with that added protein...
    you are at 104lbs...

my sister who is your height weighs 120lbs...size 2 and no visible fat anywhere...why because she does resistance training...not heavy lifting...she eats at maintenance and does bodyweight workouts and uses small dumb bells 5-10lbs typcially for OHPs lunges etc.

She does this at home with Jillian Michaels DVD's.
  • DesertGunR
    @ruelha By adding more resistance training (Highly Recommended), be it body weight or traditional strength training you will be building/retaining lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat and it burns more calories too. If you find a good resistance/strength training plan you like the muscle you build will keep or add some weight for you on the scale. So in the end by increasing your lean muscle you will add a little weight, lose more fat and have an overall more athletic looking body. Sounds like what you are looking for in my opinion.

Checkout this link for body weight training ideas calisthenicexercise.com/

Checkout this link for a good strength training program stronglifts.com/5x5/. Work your way up to being able to lift a 20kg Olympic bar and then use fractional weights (weight plates under 2.5kg) if you have them available.
  • SezxyStef
    @ruelha By adding more resistance training (Highly Recommended), be it body weight or traditional strength training you will be building/retaining lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat and it burns more calories too. If you find a good resistance/strength training plan you like the muscle you build will keep or add some weight for you on the scale. So in the end by increasing your lean muscle you will add a little weight, lose more fat and have an overall more athletic looking body. Sounds like what you are looking for in my opinion.

Checkout this link for a good strength training program stronglifts.com/5x5/. Work your way up to being able to lift a 20kg Olympic bar and then use fractional weights (weight plates under 2.5kg) if you have them available.

The bolded above is not factual.

the OP will not be building any muscle...she is not obese, an 18 yo boy and new to lifting only means a few oz if any....

Muscle does not weigh more than fat...it takes up less space...ie 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat.

The program I high lighted is a heavy lifting program for people who want to build strength...it is by no means "easy" nor is it something that you can do at home easily (I do as I have all the equipment) as you need a barbell and a squat rack and a bench....
  • DesertGunR
    SezxyStef wrote: »

the OP will not be building any muscle...she is not obese, an 18 yo boy and new to lifting only means a few oz if any....

Muscle does not weigh more than fat...it takes up less space...ie 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat.

The program I high lighted is a heavy lifting program for people who want to build strength...it is by no means "easy" nor is it something that you can do at home easily (I do as I have all the equipment) as you need a barbell and a squat rack and a bench....

Sorry that I forgot to add by volume. Though, I am glad you pointed it out so there is no confusion on anyone's part. My bad I didn't catch that before I submitted.

Not sure what obesity has to do with anything. Since it is physically impossible to spot train for losing fat in a specific area. If she starts a resistance/weight program of any kind even a few ounces added over time is still adding and will benefit her in the long run by being able to burn more calories. Thereby making it easier to maintain the figure along with the weight range she apparently is looking for.

If you consider starting at 20kg/45lbs and using fractional weights (which the program is more than capable of adjusting to for both men and women) as part of your progression to be to difficult for a beginning program. I am not sure what to think, since most everyone I've known in and out of gyms over the decades have started there or on a very similar one to it and then moved on to the more advanced variations of it. Yes it can lead to heavy lifting, if you so choose, and often does because those that start it get addicted to it so to speak.

Though you can build both size and strength without lifting a single ounce of metal. Which is why calisthenics were also mentioned. Though the majority of people scoff at them these days. Because, after all if you're not pushing iron you're not really serious these days.

As for age, I am not sure of your point on that. I started gaining size and strength at 14 years old. Though the size did take a hit, for awhile, when the grow spurt kicked in. Anybody, male or female at any age after puberty can gain size and strength if they so choose.

Thanks again.
  • SezxyStef

Sorry that I forgot to add by volume. Though, I am glad you pointed it out so there is no confusion on anyone's part. My bad I didn't catch that before I submitted.

Not sure what obesity has to do with anything. Since it is physically impossible to spot train for losing fat in a specific area. If she starts a resistance/weight program of any kind even a few ounces added over time is still adding and will benefit her in the long run by being able to burn more calories. Thereby making it easier to maintain the figure along with the weight range she apparently is looking for.

If you consider starting at 20kg/45lbs and using fractional weights (which the program is more than capable of adjusting to for both men and women) as part of your progression to be to difficult for a beginning program. I am not sure what to think, since most everyone I've known in and out of gyms over the decades have started there or on a very similar one to it and then moved on to the more advanced variations of it. Yes it can lead to heavy lifting, if you so choose, and often does because those that start it get addicted to it so to speak.

Though you can build both size and strength without lifting a single ounce of metal. Which is why calisthenics were also mentioned. Though the majority of people scoff at them these days. Because, after all if you're not pushing iron you're not really serious these days.

As for age, I am not sure of your point on that. I started gaining size and strength at 14 years old. Though the size did take a hit, for awhile, when the grow spurt kicked in. Anybody, male or female at any age after puberty can gain size and strength if they so choose.

Thanks again.

Obese people who are lifting can build muscle....that's one point...and she may be a couple oz of muscle but that is not all that much in the large scheme of things and highly doubtful so saying she could build muscle is incorrect.

Age is relevant for building muscle in men as young men has a lot of testosterone...

Those comments were all about your comment of "building muscle" women in general have a difficult time building muscle let alone one in a deficit lifting small loads...

I was pointing out SL is a hard program...I know a lot of women who can't bench an olympic bar at first...or OHP it...squat maybe, DL yes but not the upper body movements...

I started on that program at home and know it can be hard to do at home without the proper equipment...not trying to convince them not to just letting them know it's not an easy go all the time.

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    SezxyStef, I think DesertGunR was recommending doing heavy lifting or calisthenics while eating at or close to maintenance (correct me if I'm wrong DesertGunR), in which case, I think your both saying about the same thing, which is what I'd also recommend to OP.

-Since you're already at a healthy weight, it would be better to try a more focused progressive lifting or body weight program and whatever moderate cardio you enjoy. It seems like your current routine is time consuming and a little unfocused. You'll be able to do more with less. I like Stronglifts 5x5, there's also You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning, which may work better if you have limited equipment.
    -Eat at or very close to maintenance so you can start making some strength gains. Stef is right that you won't build new muscle at a deficit, but you'll probably be able to take advantage of some newbie gains and preserve your current muscle mass. If you eat at maintenance your body will -very slowly- begin building muscle. It'll always be slow, because womenz.
    -After you've been lifting for a while, you may want to consider a bulk and cut cycle, but you'll have to do more research and plan that further down the road.

Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    SezxyStef, I think DesertGunR was recommending doing heavy lifting or calisthenics while eating at or close to maintenance (correct me if I'm wrong DesertGunR), in which case, I think your both saying about the same thing, which is what I'd also recommend to OP.

-Since you're already at a healthy weight, it would be better to try a more focused progressive lifting or body weight program and whatever moderate cardio you enjoy. It seems like your current routine is time consuming and a little unfocused. You'll be able to do more with less. I like Stronglifts 5x5, there's also You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning, which may work better if you have limited equipment.
    -Eat at or very close to maintenance so you can start making some strength gains. Stef is right that you won't build new muscle at a deficit, but you'll probably be able to take advantage of some newbie gains and preserve your current muscle mass. If you eat at maintenance your body will -very slowly- begin building muscle. It'll always be slow, because womenz.
    -After you've been lifting for a while, you may want to consider a bulk and cut cycle, but you'll have to do more research and plan that further down the road.

Good luck!

The variance is that DesertGunR states muscle will be gained....it won't be.

To build muscle you need to be at a surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program (which SL 5x5 is)

A recomp could be done yes...but that wasn't mentioned unless I missed it somewhere and if I did my bad.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

Good luck!

The variance is that DesertGunR states muscle will be gained....it won't be.

To build muscle you need to be at a surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program (which SL 5x5 is)

A recomp could be done yes...but that wasn't mentioned unless I missed it somewhere and if I did my bad.

Well, that's why I stated all of those things explicitly. Just trying to unmuddy the waters a bit for our poor OP.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    also- please stop doing over an hour of ab work. that just hurts my feelings.

start weight training for real- and knock off the hundreds of reps of body weight workouts. Get on a progressive loaded program. If you're gym doesn't have the facilities (which it sounds like it wont') do a body weight progression.
  • ruelha
    Hi guys,
    Thanks you alll sooooo much for all your inputs. I took some time to reply as all of this is so new to me and I really didnt understand much of what was said so i had to make several references and read these replies over and over again (lol). But my understanding is that the group recommends :
    -progressive lifting
    -eat at maintainence
    -moderate cardio
    -stop the insane reps with abworkouts esp
    Do correct me if i got it all wrong pls :smile:
    Thanks SezxyStef, DesertGunR, SBRRepeat, JoRocka for all the help. Really appreciate it :smiley:

Ps: everyone kept referring to me as 'the OP'. What does OP stand for?
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Op stands for Original Poster ( I think )

Congrats on your awesomeness!!!!
  • SBRRepeat
    You got it, ma'am! Good luck!

(OP means original post[er].)