lower back issues/ working out

Options
Recently I have been told that I have one of a few different back problems. Degenerative disk disease, bulging discs, or something unknown.

I am a 24year young women who is EXTREMELY used to working out, I was an athlete my entire life.
It is slightly discouraging that I am not able to do the things I love to do such as running, pitching, things like that.
However I refuse to allow this to put me down!

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for excersize for lower back issues. I know the bike is always a go to, but I get bored on that!

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have had a lower back fusion as well as another back surgery. I'm getting more injections now for facet problems as well. Despite the pain, it's important to keep exercising because not working out can make things worse. However, exercising with lower back problems is difficult and painful.
    Riding a bike is not the best idea, because sitting is not great for your lower back. It puts a lot of pressure on your disks, and the constant motions are also taxing on the small muscles and joints.
    I use the elliptical for my workouts. It's no impact for the lower back. I like to watch TV or movies, or read.

Don't run. Running is probably the worst thing you can do for your back. I tried to keep running but after my last surgery my doc said I am done running unless, literally, I have to run for my life. I can't even do it at all because it is so painful.
    also avoid free weights when standing because the added pressure can be very hard on those disks. Use weight machines and resistance bands.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lisacic28 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for excersize for lower back issues.

Do whatever doesn't cause you more harm. What works well for one person or one type of back can have the opposite effect for another person or a different back issue. Best thing you can do is ask a physiotherapist, orthopedist, or similar med. professional.

Just curious - did your "issues" coincide with a gain in weight?
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Have you met with a physical therapist? If not I would start there. They can give you exercises that will help to strengthen the muscles around your injured area which will help to reduce pain and allow you to better function.
  • mitchbutin
    mitchbutin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try DDP Yoga. Great for back, and it's a strength and aerobic workout without the stress in the joints.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Long time low back issues for me including a bulged disc. Get a referral to PT to learn the best strengthening and stretching exercises for your condition and ask your doctor if he would approve swimming or pool exercises. I have staved off surgery for years doing the exercises from my PT, and earlier this year I finally followed my doc's recommendation to hit the pool. That has been the absolute best thing I have ever done and I feel better and much stronger than I have in probably15 years. No matter what you do, make sure your doctor approves it first!!
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Have you met with a physical therapist? If not I would start there. They can give you exercises that will help to strengthen the muscles around your injured area which will help to reduce pain and allow you to better function.

+1 to this.

I am in recovery for a major unknown back problem. Having a good Physical Therapist helps keep the muscles groups that need to remain loose, loose and those that need rehabilitating get the training they require. They will not only work with you but with your Doctor to get you back on your feet again. Just be patient with the process of physical rehab and you will get result that will last you a lifetime.

Good Luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    lisacic28 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for excersize for lower back issues.

Do whatever doesn't cause you more harm. What works well for one person or one type of back can have the opposite effect for another person or a different back issue. Best thing you can do is ask a physiotherapist, orthopedist, or similar med. professional.

Just curious - did your "issues" coincide with a gain in weight?

Since OP clearly said what her back issue is, and since sitting and running are not good for exactly those issues, then yes, those would do her harm.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Since OP clearly said what her back issue is..

Yes, she clearly it might be "something unknown". ;)

I think it's safest for a medical professional to tell her what she should and shouldn't do.

• lisacic28
    lisacic28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »
    +1 to this.

I am in recovery for a major unknown back problem. Having a good Physical Therapist helps keep the muscles groups that need to remain loose, loose and those that need rehabilitating get the training they require. They will not only work with you but with your Doctor to get you back on your feet again. Just be patient with the process of physical rehab and you will get result that will last you a lifetime.

Good Luck!

My issue is also unknown. It is not by any means from weight gain. When it first happened I was in my prime! I did go to a PT which did help... But I want to do more than only focus on my back.
  • DonnaKelley98
    DonnaKelley98 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If it hurts then don't do it. For me biking hurts my back because of the bent over position. I love the eliptical. It's low impact and I find it doesn't hurt my back at all.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yoga or seated yoga is great. The superman helps strengthen lower back and a strong core helps support back. Cobra is also goo strength thener do gently what you are able.
  • omkarbhimraobhosekar01313
    Options
    I use belt (gym belt) while lifting heavy wrs. Try it if u want, hope then you will not get lower back probs.