Early Gym Sesh

Options
Always game for it the night before then alarm goes off...best feeling ever when you get up an smash it though! What do you do to make sure you get up and go?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Practice the 5 P's: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Peformance.

For me, that means laying out my gym clothes the night before, making my pre-workout the night before, and getting to bed at a reasonable time. I am not sure I have ever gotten used to waking up at 4am, but it has become a habit.
  • ShanonVdM
    ShanonVdM Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have my workout gear set out the night before !!
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    4am!? No way. 6.30 earliest for me!
  • ShanonVdM
    Options
    Ha haaa ! I can workout at 8 am !!!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I usually moan, and groan until my mind is just awake enough to accept the fact that I'll have to make up for it later if I don't get it done now.

Then, I trudge out the door like a grumpy schoolchild. I usually don't accept my early morning fate, and actually get into it until I'm about halfway through.
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    I say 6.30 I mean I've done that once in last 6 months haha
  • ShanonVdM
    Options
    :D haha lazy !
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    Doesn't matter how much I try. I wake up every morning an think right am going bed early tonight an it never happens. and then repeat that sequence all week, haha!
  • ShanonVdM
    Options
    But it's the worst waking up to your alarm and knowing you gotta be active right now when all you wanna do is sleep
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I pack my gym bag the day before and set it by the front door. This might be weird, but I refuse to shower until I've worked out. Since, I'm not going to go in "public" (aside from the gym) without showering - it motivates me to hit the gym or get my run in early in the day.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is currently Mon - Fri 10a-7p, so I have to get out the door by 6:30am if I either want to eat breakfast after, or get home before 10pm. Thankfully, I'm still a huge slug regardless of my fitness level, and prefer to go to bed before 11pm (even on non-gym days) in order to get a huge amount of sleep, so getting to bed isn't a problem. Also, I prefer working out fasted because I feel extraordinarily sluggish if my stomach has any food in it during a workout.

Every gym morning, I make a deal with myself that I need to give it an extra day to rest because this hurts, or that's sore, and I'll just make up for it by changing up my schedule for the next week. After that thought, I roll over to go back to sleep, and feel so guilty that I couldn't sleep if I tried. If I went to the gym seven days per week, the first fifteen minutes of my morning would be a scene out of Groundhog Day.

At 6:15am, the only part of my being which wants to work at all is my sense of guilt.
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    Haha love them last 2 paras
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:10 or 5:15 on workout days. I'm a morning person and hate snooze buttons so I just set the alarm and get up when I hear it. I usually set out my clothes the night before. I usually workout at home so that's about all the prep I need. If I am going to the gym, I pack my bag, breakfast, and lunch the night before. Gym opens at 6 so I leave home around 5:40 or so.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's hard 3:45 am to make it by 5, but just have to make myself get up. I have everything ready, so all I have to do is the morning essentials and go.
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    ShanonVdM wrote: »
    But it's the worst waking up to your alarm and knowing you gotta be active right now when all you wanna do is sleep

Worse when you set your alarm an it tells you how long till it goes off. Anything less than 7 hours and am already defeated :D@ShanonVdM
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Make sure I get an early night, and had a decent size dinner or maybe a bedtime snack so I don't feel too hungry first thing. Lay out gym clothes the night before and pack bag with everything I need to get showered and ready for work afterwards. Set alarm. When alarm goes off, GET UP IMMEDIATELY BEFORE YOU REALISE WHAT IS HAPPENING. Think longingly of the delicious toasted salmon and cream cheese bagel I will eat in the coffee shop after I have exercised and showered :)
  • HappyKite
    HappyKite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I sort my breakfast and lunch out the night before, so I don't need to worry about that. Have my running gear ready. Try not to think too much when my alarm goes off, but just get dressed on autopilot. I don't worry if I put my running tights on back to front (as I did yesterday) as hardly anyone is going to see me any way. Then leave the house, yawning my head off.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't workout early morning. I work out in the evening, after work.

On the weekend I might go about 9am but I've been up for a couple hours.

Not everyone works out in the morning and that's okay.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Snooze button is your enemy.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I get everything ready the night before and then ask my wife to shove/kick me out of bed at 5am!