working at kfc

Options
hi i just started my diet im on day 3 and was looking for a job and i found a job at kfc <3 dream job right lol . i sent in an cv and have a interview tomorrow i have good hopes of getting the job but my biggest fear is will i be able to stay on the diet :D . so how would you handle working there thanks guys B)

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken is really good, and the green beans instead of potatoes are a better option even though they are the canned kind
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look at their menu online to find low calorie options. Or bring your own food from home.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely find healthy options at KFC, just check their nutrition facts.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If they don't have salad greens bring your own and make 5he grilled chicken into salad
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Most definitely just take your own food :p don't know what their rules are, but if they make employees pay for food, just leave your money at home and then you won't have the option if you don't want it.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Eat all you want. In 2 weeks you'll never want fried chicken again. :)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's not like you'll be snacking on the fries while working, right? Are you concerned that free/cheap staff meals will be too tempting? Maybe you can bring your own lunches, and make sure you're not hungry when you start work.

FWIW, I worked at Subway as a teen and after about 2 months there I couldn't stand the thought of eating there. 10 years later and I've still never eaten there again haha
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I work part time at Dominos. I get a discount, and sometimes its just not doable to bring food or go somewhere else.

So my suggestions: learn the menu, proper portion amounts, etc. You'll probably do that anyhow. Its a major chain so probably has posted calorie information. I know they had grilled chicken at one point - if they do that is probably a good way to go. Just remove the skin, as that is where much of the fat is. Corn on the cobb, mashed potatoes. Again, portion size is important. Of the top of my head & based on what I know of the menu (which isn't alot) that combination is probably 350-450 calories.
    hi i just started my diet im on day 3 and was looking for a job and i found a job at kfc <3 dream job right lol . i sent in an cv and have a interview tomorrow i have good hopes of getting the job but my biggest fear is will i be able to stay on the diet :D . so how would you handle working there thanks guys B)

• Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The first time I used MFP, I was a broke college student working at Burger King. I managed to bring my lunch to work frequently, but when I needed to indulge, I just made smart choices. I would usually get grilled chicken or a smaller burger. I also would use sauce packets to add flavor to my home meals. BBQ, buffalo, and sweet&sour will have the least calories. I haven't been to KFC is a looooong time, so I can't offer many specific suggestions.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    elothen wrote: »

^^This! I worked at a pizza restaurant for two months between my junior and senior years in high school, and I was in my late 20s before I could enjoy pizza again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Congrats at the new job!

I didn't eat donuts for decades after working at DD as a teenager.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

This! I imagine after working with fried chicken every day you will soon become sick of it.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I worked for McDonalds for 10 years. I was smaller then than I've ever been not working there lol
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I remember I had the 'brilliant' idea to earn a bit of money while going to university. So I worked at A & W for half a shift, went for my break and never returned...maybe that's why I'm a vegetarian now :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when managing a tea-room and trying to lose weight. I handled it badly, convincing myself that there was nothing I could do but eat cake for lunch, but in hindsight, I could have:

Taken my own lunch and snacks in

Allocated myself a certain amount of calories each day that I could 'use' at the place; so, for example, 300 calories would mean I could have a small slice of cake one day, a cookie the next, etc.

Actually go out on your breaks, walk around the block or something, distract yourself from the food and burn a few extra calories.
  • Maydalis
    Maydalis Posts: 20 Member
    Options

^^This! I worked at a pizza restaurant for two months between my junior and senior years in high school, and I was in my late 20s before I could enjoy pizza again.

For some people this may be true. Personally, I absolutely love pizza. I worked at pizza hut for a bit, had pizza and breadsticks for lunch every day, never got tired of it. To this day I'm still finding ways to incorporate pizza into my diet, lol. Just depends on how you feel about the food.
  • Scarlett_ptista
    Scarlett_ptista Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all the advice saying you'll get sick of their food ... I have worked in many restaurants whose food I really enjoyed, and honestly would still want to eat it all the time (ie chick fil a) because the menu was big enough, and let's face it - it's yummy!

However, I will say working around food, depending on what you'd be doing, you really get sick of food period. It really depends on what you're doing there, as a cashier I still would want to eat, but in other places when I worked in the back of the house or waitress, I was sick of it.

That said, onto the advice; Employee meals are not typically free; They are discounted, usually 50% on one meal you consume at work. If you're eating at work more than once, that can get expensive. As others have said, bringing you're own food can be an option, but I have not worked at a place that had an employee fridge. Most everyone you work with will eat there, so be sure to ask the management about whether or not it's okay to bring your own food, it may be in violation of health codes to have employee food in the main walk-in.

Your best best is going to be eating before work, and making healthier choices. Depending on your age and schedule, you're likely going to be working no more than 6 hour shifts, this isn't typically a full time job, so you can use that to your advantage!