Lifting - but not heavy

I'm sure this is been asked 1000's times, so if one of the knowing could just link me to other threads that'd be great.

Basically I wonder if you can get the same/similar results lifting but not lifting heavy. Or if there are specific programs that focus on that. I'm not afraid of getting 'bulky' or that BS, but I want to work out at home and only have up to 5-25# weights.

Goal is to drop weight/inches, without losing muscle mass.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    In a deficit muscle building rarely happens anyways. As long as it is progressive in a way I think you will be fine for your goals. Now for similar results I think that would be a little different.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    You're not going to get similar results as you would lifting heavy. You're going to plateau at some point, since your weights only go up to 25 pounds. Perhaps if you could figure out a way to increase resistance beyond that, it would be to your advantage.
  • TFarkas18
    TFarkas18 Posts: 3 Member
    In my experience, and I am by no means a pro, you should get a program and stick to it using weights that are difficult on the last few reps of each set. Failure is part of the success. Push yourself to lift heavier than you may assume you can. Being safe is the key though. Just use enough weight that you have to force yourself to work hard. I spent many years sticking to programs using weight that was enough that I knew I would complete my sets. Only in the past few years have I started going heavier than I may believe I could do, and the results have been great. Eventually, those weights you thought were too high, are easy.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    There are some freaking AWESOME bodyweight programs out there (Convict Fitness, You Are Your Own Gym). I'd look into those if you want to *continue* to improve, as they work you through progressions towards handstands, handstand pushups, inverted rows, pull ups, etc.

Just doing lots of reps with light weights, you will max out your benefits from them fairly quickly.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    To jump onto what others have said, lifting a 5 pound weight 10 times isn't the same as lifting a 50 pound weight once. At best, the 5 pound one will generate some hypertrophy. But if you aren't increasing your weight consistently, you will eventually not see any more process. There are some tricks you can do to get some extra life out of it (lifting slower, focusing on the eccentric movement, etc), but even those will eventually fail to produce the results you probably want.

TL;DR: using a max of 25lbs is better than nothing!
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    perhaps the answer is buying more weights?

I'll look into those bodyweight programs, thanks for the those.

I just need something other than running, because that's not getting me to my goal (neither is not logging consistently)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Who says that 25 lbs will ever be too much for you? I'm exercising hard for 10 years and I never take hand weights that heavy.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    if your goal is to maintain existing muscle mass while losing weight in a deficit, then yes higher volume will be a good approach. 5-25# probably is too low for just about anyone, though
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    To jump onto what others have said, lifting a 5 pound weight 10 times isn't the same as lifting a 50 pound weight once. At best, the 5 pound one will generate some hypertrophy. But if you aren't increasing your weight consistently, you will eventually not see any more process. There are some tricks you can do to get some extra life out of it (lifting slower, focusing on the eccentric movement, etc), but even those will eventually fail to produce the results you probably want.

TL;DR: using a max of 25lbs is better than nothing!

The question though... how do you successfully increase your weights if you keep failing at the last reps? I've been stuck at the same weights for ages because I can't even do 4 reps if I increase my weights (granted, I only have weights that come in 1/2 pound increments).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    perhaps the answer is buying more weights?

I'll look into those bodyweight programs, thanks for the those.

I just need something other than running, because that's not getting me to my goal (neither is not logging consistently)

The bodyweight exercises are great! You'll find that the more of those types of exercises you do the better your running performance will become.

Also, you can use lighter weights and higher reps to failure as well. I incorporate both during my weight workouts.
  • explosivedonut
    edited June 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »

The question though... how do you successfully increase your weights if you keep failing at the last reps? I've been stuck at the same weights for ages because I can't even do 4 reps if I increase my weights (granted, I only have weights that come in 1/2 pound increments).

I don't mean to sound pedantic, but define "ages." There have been times where I have been stuck at a particular weight for months at a time. Took me nearly 6 months to go from a one rep max on bench at 185#-190#s. I just constantly kept trying, asked people to review my form, and put the exercise away for a little while. Are you stuck on back squats? Switch them up for front squats or hack squats. Sometimes taking a break from the same exercise will help us get over the hump.

Will there come a point where you can't (or shouldn't) increase weights? Yes. Of course. The amount of time it takes to go from 10 lbs - 20lbs for an exercise will probably be much shorter than the time it takes to go from 100-110 lbs.
    Who says that 25 lbs will ever be too much for you? I'm exercising hard for 10 years and I never take hand weights that heavy.

Serious question, why haven't you gone over 25 lbs? Even for a woman, it's not TOO hard to go for a dumbbell flat bench at 25 lbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Almost a year honestly with chest presses at 50 pounds. I mean, I can do even 12 reps easily now, but if I go up to 60 it's a struggle just to lift the thing... And I've been stuck at 60 pounds for rows for 8 months or something.. no way I can even do 4 reps with 70 pounds, and I still struggle to do more than 8 with 60 pounds. I can't really tell for squats and deadlifts as I only have 45 pounds weights and I can do both with those.

Arguably, I don't like lifting and don't want my arms or legs to get more 'toned' so it's taken a back step in the last 6 months. I was just wondering how it's possible to 'keep increasing the weight' because in my experience it's not that easy.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    @Francl27 Instead of trying to move up 5 or 10 pounds at a time try using fractional weights (0.25lb., 0.50lb., 0.75lb., 1lb.) if you have them available at your gym. StrongLifts 5x5 has a great app that will help you break through plateaus and it is a great strength program for all levels of lifters.

Good Luck!
  • explosivedonut
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Almost a year honestly with chest presses at 50 pounds. I mean, I can do even 12 reps easily now, but if I go up to 60 it's a struggle just to lift the thing... And I've been stuck at 60 pounds for rows for 8 months or something.. no way I can even do 4 reps with 70 pounds, and I still struggle to do more than 8 with 60 pounds. I can't really tell for squats and deadlifts as I only have 45 pounds weights and I can do both with those.

Arguably, I don't like lifting and don't want my arms or legs to get more 'toned' so it's taken a back step in the last 6 months. I was just wondering how it's possible to 'keep increasing the weight' because in my experience it's not that easy.

I'd also absolutely mirror what @DesertGunR said. Increasing weight doesn't just mean going from 50-60 lbs, but it can be going from 50-55, or 50-52.5 or whatever. It's really, really hard to consistently make 10 pound increases in weight, especially dumbbells since you aren't increasing the weight by 10 pounds, but by 20 (50+50 = 100, 60+60 = 120). Also, after a certain point, you might need help getting the weight up and into position for dumbbells. I have seen guys use 90-100 lb dumbbells for presses and push out a lot of reps but need help getting it into position.

Like I said, have you tried switching it up a little bit? If possible going for a barbell bench press instead? Or doing incline or decline presses? Working the same muscle group, but slightly different muscles in said group, helps me break through plateaus.

I also never said it was easy. It can be a real challenge. Not only physically, but mentally. First time I benched 225, I was scared out of my mind. It's a lot of weight on the bar. It took a lot to get into the correct mindset.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Don't underestimate bodyweight and calisthenics training. You can get seriously strong with "just" your bodyweight