Nervous when jogging outside

Options
hello I don't know why I get nervous if I jog outside
I feel as if people are staring sounds strange I try to avoid jogging outside any advice

Replies

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you are jogging by a main road, most people only have time for the quickest of glances, sometimes not even enough of a look to tell male runners from female runners, or they risk wrecking their cars. I live near a university and I see runners of all sizes, but rarely for more than a third of a second as I drive past.

Just get out there and do it.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't mind what other people think. I jog on a track field every single day, sometimes getting blown out of the water by the "extra fit" people who can run way faster than I ever could. You're doing something for yourself to make you happy. Not to mention, you don't know any of these people who look at you and they'll be gone in a few seconds anyway. Don't pay any mind and keep doing what you're doing.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way. My only advice is to just get over it. I don't mean to be harsh, but looking at other people is something that people just do. I'm sure you also look at other people. At some point you have to just focus on what you are doing and let it go. I love being outside and running on a treadmill is not something I enjoy doing at all so if I'm going to run it will be outside. Once you start moving, you won't notice anyway.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I would usually go at night for that reason and others.
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Jog outside until you realize that nobody is really paying attention. The only time I receive attention jogging outside, it's positive - people smiling and nodding (as in greeting), people saying good morning, or one time one guy said to another guy, "Man, that girl can run." Nobody is really taking the to... what? Make fun of you? Judge you? Does it really even matter?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Any trails or other jogging friendly places near you? I personally am not a fan of street running (which has more to do with my previous knee injuries than anything) so I tend to seek out dirt/gravel trails in my area. I'm fortunate that there is a lot around here.

Otherwise, I really encourage you to not focus on others when you run. You're doing this for you, what anyone else thinks doesn't matter.
  • mimil55
    mimil55 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I promise you that most people aren't staring at you. And if they are, try your best not to care what they think - you're doing your best to be fit and healthy, that can only be an admirable thing.

If it's making it difficult for you to exercise, try fast walking instead maybe? Are you less self-conscious when you walk? Of course it's a less intense activity than running but it's better than not doing anything because you're stressed. You could increase the time you walk for a similar result.

You could also try jogging during hours when there aren't too many people around outside.

Otherwise, maybe try investing in a piece of gym equipment for your home if that's possible for you, like a treadmill or exercise bike. There's some pretty good second hand equipment around, and that way you're in the safety and comfort of your home to do your exercise.

Good luck :)

• breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel this way too. I love my treadmill. I really recommend it. There are so many benefits. Like you can use it when it's too hot or cold, dark outside, or just when you don't want people looking at you.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Even if people are staring, they are most likely at the very least thinking, "Good for you". I'm not fast and people are always passing me, but I am ahead of everyone who didn't get off their butts that day. Lose yourself in the run and you won't even be thinking about others in no time.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous about that too. I feel like people are judging. Also there is a high population of black bears around here. :worried:
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way. I would purposely take back routes through neighborhoods and avoid any main roads. I did this until I encountered some very shady individuals who tried to get me to come over to their van (scary!). Anyway, I quickly realized I preferred busier places to help me feel a littler safer. I also realized that I didn't really care what people thought. I would put my music on, listen to the instruction from my C25K app and focus on me.

I don't think you really get over that feeling until you just start facing those fears.
  • kjauthier
    kjauthier Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just do it, when I run I usually say Hi to people I pass, some ignore me, I don't care
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Even if people are staring, they are most likely at the very least thinking, "Good for you".

Yup. :)

I felt self conscious at first but it just went away pretty quickly. I can be pretty timid and it supposed me how quickly I turned to focusing on myself.
  • teachmama79
    teachmama79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Even if people are staring, they are most likely at the very least thinking, "Good for you". I'm not fast and people are always passing me, but I am ahead of everyone who didn't get off their butts that day. Lose yourself in the run and you won't even be thinking about others in no time.

Exactly! Keep in mind that people who are looking at you are impressed that you are out there doing it! Seeing people jogging/walking motivates me!

So just think, you might be motivating someone to get fit!

Keep it up! :)
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use to be worried about it, but now I live in the city, so I have no choice, people have to see me running, or I can't do it. And I realised that when I see someone running, my only thoughts are "Good for them, I wish I could run like that, they look great." I never think negatively about someone running, no matter how slow they are.

So like the other poster said, you just have to get over it. These strangers don't care, but I'm sure you care about getting in shape.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I went for a jog outside felt good I did not pay attention and it felt ok no one was staring I think its a mental thing
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm only nervous because we have bears!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I'm only nervous because we have bears!

lol I live in the UK no bears

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Try a trail instead of going on the main streets
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I see the same people every day when I walk/jog home from work. Usually I see them in the same parts of my run and I wonder where they went when I don't see them that day. I used to pass an elderly fellow with a backpack frame who always smelled of harsh cleansers and I wondered what he was working on. Then he stopped smelling of cleansers and I wondered if he was done with his project, and I still wondered what his project was. The guy with a toddler in a jogging stroller got a bigger stroller and now has a toddler and an infant. The guy with the SUPER FAT husky and the normal husky is just bringing the fat one out lately. I wonder if the thin one is injured, lonely, or just too hot. Or if they're going individually for training purposes.... The elderly speedwalking couple is still disgustingly cute and appears to have added about half a mile to their route.

People look, but they're not necessarily thinking unflattering things about you. You might be their unintentional training buddy and they may look for you on their route. They may miss you when you're gone. Do your thing for you, and give yourself credit for inspiring by your mere presence.