Are you still thinking fat????

Options
SO...I have a question for those who have lost a significant amount of weight.... I have now lost almost 100 pounds. (I'm at 98 now GONE! yay!) I've still got about 25 pounds to go, before my "goal."

The thing I find kind of sad, is that when I go shopping or when I'm at the gym, I still seem to think of myself as "98 pounds heavier."
Example... When programming the elliptical at the gym, it asked for my weight and I immediately put in 200+ pounds, then had to erase it. LOL
Also, when I go shopping for clothes, I find myself walking into Lane Bryant or picking out tops that are 1X's or 2 X....without even thinking.... Am I just out of my mind??? OF COURSE I am aware of my weight loss, but is it just old habits dying hard?
Does anyone else do this, this kind of "automatic pilot" thinking? Am I just not "used" to the new me yet, or is it more??
Also, a lot of times when people (especially men) talk to me, I find myself thinking "FAT" in my head...like "I bet they're looking at my *whatever seems to be target at the time*** because of my weight.." then I have to remind myself, WAIT, you don't look like that anymore... I don't think I ever realized how much DAMAGE we do to ourselves MENTALLY when we are overweight...but it's alot more than FAT that we carry around.... And apparently, it takes a while to reprogram that thinking??? Any thoughts of this y'all? Who's in the same boat? LOL ;-)

Replies

• ashleyacts
    ashleyacts Posts: 1
    Options
    I do that sometimes, I was an overweight child/teen and now that i've lost the weight it seems like every time i'm in a picture I have to check my stomach, my chin...all the usual spots, I sometimes feel like people are talking about me and the way my body looks, especially being in the military with open showers, I wonder if other females are looking at how "fat" I am. I understand how you feel, I just try to remind myself that I worked hard and that these last few pounds are nothing and will fall off soon!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    Yes, I do the same thing!!! I have lost 61 lbs and still have about 80 or so to go, but I still feel like I was before I lost anything. I bought a new pair of pants this weekend and I still felt like they didn't look right or that I shouldn't be wearing them because they were a smaller size and actually "fit". I think I asked my husband 10+ times if they looked okay ... of course, he said they looked great, but it's those old insecurities that are still there. Also, I find myself buying larger shirts than I should be ... dang it!
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I haven't loste nearly as much weight as you have but I totally understand and appreciate where you are coming from. I think you are right that we do a lot to ourselves mentally when being overweight and I can only imagine that it takes some time to reprogram your brain just like it took time to lose all the weight. I remind myself that I'm strong and beautiul and anyone who doesn't think so can take a hike!
  • binglebell
    binglebell Posts: 29
    Options
    I am absolutely there with you! I've now lost 62lbs but still have another 52lbs to go to get my target. I still see a fat person. Don't get me wrong, I know I look much better, but when shopping I still always take the bigger sizes to the changing room with me and whenever I get a compliment about how good I look, I always think it's out of pity for the fat girl. I don't have a skinny person inside waiting to get out, I have a fat person inside playing with my mind, refusing to disappear with the pounds!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yep, I still see myself as that fat girl.

When I go shopping, I still reach for the bigger sizes. When I'm at the gym, I still feel fat when I see all the other "thinner, fitter, smaller" girls walking around.

It sucks and I think it just takes a long time for your mind/head to connect with your eyes. I still see my trouble areas and no matter how many compliments I get, I *cringe* when someone says I look skinny or tiny!

Lucky for me, I have a very awesome boyfriend.