Need to get rid of extra Belly Fat

Options
Hello, I have looked through this board and have not found the specific answer I am looking for. I have lost about 65lbs in the last 2 years by eating properly and working out regularly. I am also keeping it off by continuing to do the above things without wavering. However I have one issue that annoys me and that is I cannot get rid of the excess belly fat I have. Some days it looks like I am making progress but other days it is very noticeable to me. I have gone down from a size 42 in pants to 34 or a 32 depending, my shirt sizes have gone down from XL 17 1/2 to 15 1/2 which is all good but my belly fat is still there. Are there any specific exercises I should be doing, maybe not doing? My routine is pretty simple, I spin 2 or 3 a week, run 2 or 3 a week, weights twice a week, yoga once a week and abs (planks and crunches) every other day for 15 minutes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    There's no 'target reduction' when it comes to losing that fat; just keep doing what you are doing and monitor those calories - abs are made in the kitchen
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you cannot spot reduce. You need to keep eating in a deficit and lifting heavy. What is your current lifting program like? Is it structured or homemade?

How long have you been dieting for and how many calories are you consuming daily?
  • nelrvergara
    nelrvergara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    More weights less cardio. It won't get rid of fat but I do Russian twist and standing side crunches. Hammers and an ab roller. This is my trouble area as well but I am finding that more muscle building is helping better than walking and running was. 12 to 20 mins of HIIT if u need it.

Hope this helps.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    abs are made in the kitchen
    your genetics also factor in
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Simple answer: you just need to lose more fat. 65lbs wasn't enough, spot reduction is not possible. Keep reducing your calories by 100 every week until you see consistent 0.5lbs loss per week. Repeat this every time your weight loss stalls. Stop when you are happy with the results.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Having had similar issues, I can say that you cannot spot reduce. I have reduced my weight by 37 pounds and my waist by 6 inches. This is "our" problem area and only by reducing our overall bf% will we see the belly flab reduce

Weights.. great , cardio ... great . Fork putdowns and table pushaways work best.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you went from a 42 to a 34 you've lost a bunch of belly fat. Are you sure it isn't just skin that is left? I've noticed some nice impacts in the waist area from doing a 30 day plank challenge.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm working on losing another 10 lbs and trying to find some core exercises I can do (have had a couple back surgeries so I have my limitations). Here's an interesting article:
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/exercises/best-way-to-beat-belly-flab/
  • ryan_aye
    ryan_aye Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, keep up the good work and continue to get a deficit. Building up more muscle can help increase your metabolism which in addition to eating well will help you to continue to lose that remaining fat sooner. Stick with you and eventually you'll get there, to quote one of my friends

"Your body is going to play dirty. Your body will try its hardest not to burn fat, after all, it’s your body’s job to be as efficient as it can be with your stored energy. It is going to be a battle, and you must ask yourself: Do you want it bad enough? Don’t wimp out."
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    markiend wrote: »
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways work best.

I love this and may steal it :)
  • boonesfarmer
    boonesfarmer Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi nicklippa! Congratulations on such a remarkable accomplishment! I'm not sure if you drink diet soda, or anything with artificial sweeteners, but if so, it could be contributing to the issue. The body takes these chemicals and stores them as far away from your organs as it can, putting them in your middle. There are a lot of articles regarding this, and here are two; http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/03/17/is-there-really-a-link-between-diet-soda-and-belly-fat/
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/19/artificial-sweeteners-could-be-sabotaging-your-diet/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi nicklippa! Congratulations on such a remarkable accomplishment! I'm not sure if you drink diet soda, or anything with artificial sweeteners, but if so, it could be contributing to the issue. The body takes these chemicals and stores them as far away from your organs as it can, putting them in your middle. There are a lot of articles regarding this, and here are two; http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/03/17/is-there-really-a-link-between-diet-soda-and-belly-fat/
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/19/artificial-sweeteners-could-be-sabotaging-your-diet/

OP, please ignore this...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

strong first post.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had a large beer gut and had much more fat in other areas like my neck and face that I never noticed. Sounds like your workouts are great so you probably just need to keep it up. I assume that you are not yet at your target or "best" weight yet. It wasn't until I reached the middle of the suggested BMI range that my belly fat disappeared (save the BMI is crap, I know) . It was also at this point that I felt I should not lose anymore and went to maintaining. I have put about 15 lbs. back on so in my experience, the belly is the last to lose and the first to get it back. It is your body that determines where fat goes to or leaves. The only thing that you control is if you are gaining via surplus calories or losing due to deficit. FWIW the reason I gained is that I reduced my workout burn and consumed to much between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Well this seems counter-intuitive then doesn't it - if you're storing things far from your organs wouldn't you put them in your feet and hands? I know plenty of diet soda drinkers with six pack abs - so I would ignore this advice and listen to those telling you that you can't spot reduce and need to lose more fat. We all have our problem areas that are our last to sort themselves out. Love the fork down and table push away line!
  • nicklippa
    nicklippa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you cannot spot reduce. You need to keep eating in a deficit and lifting heavy. What is your current lifting program like? Is it structured or homemade?

How long have you been dieting for and how many calories are you consuming daily?

I do a lot of structured classes at my gym such as 2X week Body Pump, 3X week spin, Once a week Body Attack and once a week Yoga. I also run 2 to 3 times a week in fact I just completed my first 10K. I consume about 2200 calories a day.

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    nicklippa wrote: »
    ... 2X week Body Pump, 3X week spin, Once a week Body Attack .... I also run 2 to 3 times a week in fact I just completed my first 10K. I consume about 2200 calories a day.

All these programs are basically cardio. Start a beginner's progressive lifting program. Congrats on your accomplishments.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I can't really see it in your photos as your arm's always in the way, but could it be that you have a somewhat hollow lower back? Many guys with a decent belly actually walk with their *kitten* sticking out on one side, and the belly on the other. A more straight posture works miracles on your silouette. That means getting a good set of muscles on both stomach and lower back plus glutes, and some decent stretching. Mind you, I always thought I had a severely lordosic lower back. After doing lots of strength (bodyweight and lifting heavy) I've 'grown' from 167 to 169cm and my posture is very nice. While I still have some stomach padding it doesn't really show.
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try doing more core work outs. Do squats, leg high kicks, star jumps, press ups, plank exercises, sit up etc .