Mini-goals?

i just started (again) yesterday. I've had an account here for years but this is the first I've really used it, so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

When I calculated what my goal weight should be I got a little overwhelmed, so a friend of mine suggested I set mini-goals instead. I already know exactly what they'd be on down the line based on previous weights. Is there a place to add mini-goals, keeping my goal weight where it is on the app, or should I just keep changing my goal weight to reflect my next mini-goal? For those for whom this app has become a natural extension of your lives, is that a good idea or am I shooting myself in the foot in some way that I'm not thinking of? ;)

Same with fitness goals, is there a place to set those that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    I don't know if you can set mini goals in the app. It's a great idea though. Having mini goals along the way that you can reach really keeps you motivated to hit that big goal you're working towards. I do it too! I would have a place at home where you can write those mini goals down and can cross them out as you go. I've seen some people have stones in a weight to lose jar and weight lost jar. Every week, then move the amount of stones over. I think that's a great way to show progress
  • JennyL791
    JennyL791 Posts: 16 Member
    terbusha wrote: »
    I've seen some people have stones in a weight to lose jar and weight lost jar. Every week, then move the amount of stones over. I think that's a great way to show progress

• JennyL791
    That is a freaking fantastic idea. Thanks!
  • JennyL791
    Whoops, getting the hang of the quote and reply function. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I think every 10 pounds the system asks you if you want to edit your goals, so you will get a bit of a warm fuzzy from it then. I also mentally think of every 10 pounds as a mini-goal.

Also, speaking of not getting overwhelmed, when I first started using MPF, I tried to lose 2 # per week and that just wasn't happening, so I dropped it to 1, and then to .5. I lost more that .5 per week once swimming started, but it was a sustainable goal for me that kept me from getting overwhelmed.

This time around, I'm at 1 # per week and able to do that because I am getting a lot of exercise and eating some of those exercise calories back.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I have seen a number of mini goals listed in people's profiles with the date that they reached it added later.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    I just keep my mini-goals in my head, or written somewhere. Even if I had a big goal -- say, 100 lbs -- it is not as though I would be 100% Not Okay until I'd lost that 100th lb exactly, and then suddenly, all would be right with the world.

There are so many exciting milestones along the way: Your first lb, first 5, first 10, etc. You'll have the times you get to go down a belt loop or down a size in clothing. You'll have inches lost, and you'll see changes on your pictures (if you take progress photos). You'll be excited when your BMI status changes. You'll be excited when the numbers change (like out of the 250s or out of the 200s). You'll notice feeling better or performing better, like walking without getting out of breath, or tying your shoes more easily. If you're working out, you'll see changes in performance and even looks and feel as you go.

No need to be overwhelmed by a big number, because there's no switch that will flip once you reach that number. And nothing will really change either. You may get to eat a bit more, but some days you'll still need a deficit, and you'll still need to keep every lifestyle change (likely, including logging) so there will be no graduation and a new life, type of thing. You're just building new lifelong habits and reaping little rewards along the way, that add up the further you go, including a lifetime of (theoretically) better health and wellbeing. It's not really like climbing a mountain, with so long to the top, it's more like roaming the world for life with no end destination or point to conquer.

The only downside I see to pretending you have fewer pounds to lose than you do in your profile is if you ever need to ask for help on the forums, that will confuse people. "5 lbs to lose" will have people thinking you're very slim, which will affect their advice. You could also create a mini-goals chart in the text section of your profile, and fill it out when you hit them. Like this:

First 1 lb: Met 06/01/2015
    First 5 lbs:
    First 10 lbs:
    Out of the 200s!:
    (etc)

1 full push-up: Met 06/02/2015
    5 full push-ups:
    1 min. consecutive running:
    (etc)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    I keep my ultimate goal in the app but a list of mini-goals and a ticker on my profile home page. The ticker is set to the next mini-goal ahead. (Not sure if I'm explaining well but go ahead and look - it's in the profile and is public.)

The beauty of the mini-goal + ticker combination is that after you're half-way to your first mini-goal, the ticker progress will always be more than half-way even as you add new goals one by one.

:blushing: exceptionally childish I know but it gives me a nice kick every morning when I see it. Better than thinking "Oh gosh 20 down, another 70 to go".

Also, setting fitness goals is very motivating because progress there is continuous and very palpable: a progressive lifting routine, a C25K... Whatever you fancy.