Any other teachers getting fit this summer?

Options
aghack
aghack Posts: 107 Member
Hi everyone!

I'm a middle school Civics teacher in Florida. I am one week away from finishing my second full year of teaching, and I am planning on spending this summer completely overhauling my lifestyle. With all the crazy hours, lunches spent grading, and weekends spent prepping, I have really let things go.

Last summer, in an effort to become a super teacher, I spent most of the summer in professional development. This year is going to be all about working out, relaxing, and recharging. I need it!

Are there any other teachers that would like to help keep each other motivated? I have a fitbit, a gym membership, and serious desire to change. I'm 37, female, and at 5'7", 198lbs I'm really in desperate need to get this under control.

Replies

• momma2ZKL
    momma2ZKL Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and this was my first full year in kindergarten! We have 6 days to go, but it's my 10th year teaching. I have lost almost 40 pounds since October and have 4.5 to go - hoping to finally make my goal this summer! I tried to get into shape last year, but with a baby p, trying to find a different school to work out that valued a life outside of school, and trying to buy a house it just didn't happen until the fall:)
  • jlisah
    jlisah Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as an accountability buddy! I teach middle school music in NJ, and teaching could take all the available time that I have to give it in a day. I am usually the first car in the parking lot in the a.m. and last one to leave at night, and hardly feel motivated to hit the gym or exercise at home after days like that. I have lost 12 lbs. so far this year but have a ways to go!
  • M3lodica
    M3lodica Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm also a HS teacher. I'm in my second career, having started at age 39. This is my 15th year of teaching. I'm 5'6" and weigh 174.8. I want to weigh 140 or less. I also have a Fitbit. Also I have an exercise bike. I am the math chair at my school and I'm teaching summer school this summer so I'll have less free time but I'm determined to track my food, interact with people here, and keep motivated. Let's help each other.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher as well in Florida! I am the science department chair at my school and keep a busy lifestyle and this summer my main goal is to work on meal prepping. Let's be friends :)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I teach all year at a private school. Up to now I've been teaching the kindergarten prep class, but this fall I will be teaching kindergarten. I'm very excited!

Fitness wise I'm 36, 5'8" and 194. Current goal is a marathon within the next year, so lots of running. Let's do this!
  • lanikkie
    lanikkie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 4.5 days left with the kids and 1.5 work days to go. Finishing my 3rd year as a 1st grade teacher and my first full summer off as I did summer school the other two. My goal is to loose 30-40 by the end of September. I've lost about 60 this school year of clean eating alone...no excuses to be exhausted after work!!
  • Pammalla
    Pammalla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm going back to teaching special Ed in August after taking 10 years off to be a stay at home mom
  • OliviaMG1
    OliviaMG1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes! Please add me. I feel like it takes all summer to get off the weight I put on during the school year. So this.is.it!! I am going to hit my goal this summer & stay there!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle school science teacher in CT. Am SO looking forward to summer. I think I'm going to OD on exercise classes, LOL! here's my fitbit ID: https://www.fitbit.com/user/3G4B4V. Feel free to friend me here and there!
  • sslloyd5
    sslloyd5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would liken to join in. As an educator, it is challenging to even think about drinking enough water throughout the day- much less focusing on your health. As a science teacher its planning, planning and then performing. I would like to give the gift of self-care to myself for the benefit of my students next year.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm a 4th grade teacher in Colorado. During school I struggle to drink enough water because I don't have time for bathroom breaks! Next year, I want to get better about it. I want to work out more and bring my own lunches. This summer, I'm getting married so I gotta get in shape for that! It's a good start that I plan to continue into next school year!
  • thisisdana718
    thisisdana718 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I am about to complete my program and student teach in the fall.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in Florida, teaching computer technology to elementary students. I need to lose over 100 pounds and could use some support. Please add me as a friend!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 39th year of teaching. I have never worried about water. All of my food and drink keeps me hydrated and I drink when I'm thirsty. My biggest challenge during the summer is to burn the same number of calories a day I do at school when my tendency is to sit around and read.