Mommy Problems! Help!!!

Options
I just had my second child March 24. I am trying to become healthy for them however I am hitting some bumps. Every time I try to work out or cook a healthy meal one of them needs something. I have a 2 yr old and a 2 month old. Any advise from any moms out there on how I can mange getting heathy and my children. Thank you!!

Replies

• nshokes
    nshokes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its all in the scheduling. Figure out how much time you need to cook and put the baby in the swing or playpen and give the toddler something to do. Once they are done have a backup if ur not done. Turn on a show for them. Try that
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone who can give you a hand for a few hours once a week? If you do, then maybe have that person help you with your kids while you make meals for the week. Then during the week all you have to do is grab, heat up (if necessary) and go.

As for working out, try nap time. Or before they get up in the morning. Or after they go to bed at night. Maybe take walks with them. I know it's difficult. I have a 3yr old and a 1 yr old myself. I used to workout either during nap time or after they went to bed. <-I don't have to do that anymore. We joined the YMCA and we get 2 hrs of daycare for us to workout I also take them on walks when it's nice out. When my youngest was really little, I used a carrier, but now I just use a double stroller.
    If naps are short, then find short workout videos. Every little bit helps. So if you've only got about 15 mins, look on youtube or fitnessblender for 10-15 min workout videos.
  • Carrielundgren
    Carrielundgren Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a mother of two I totally understand. I have a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old. I have to either work out at 5am before they get up or after they go to bed. When you can, fit in the exercise. Squats when making dinner, planks when playing on the floor with them, get them involved to. My 4 year old looks forward to exercising with me. Try the 7 minute work out app!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I remember trying to do some workout videos at home . Kids would bug me. So I waited till they took naps then the dog would be harassing me and getting between my feet. Lol. Taking them on a walk I'd s good idea.. .in a double stroller. I don't see how they interfere with cooking healthy meals though...that doesn't make sense. It takes similar effort to cook a "healthy" meal as it does any other kind doesn't it?
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I remember those days...it was hard! So here's my advice for working out. Do it after they go to bed or Get up early before they wake up (or after your early am baby feeding) and workout. If you're working out at home try starting with the 7min workout app or YouTube has great videos. They probably have some you can do with your kiddos. Go for walks...pushing a stroller with 2 kids is no joke. Find some small hills and maybe incorporate lunges while you're pushing the stroller.
    As for dinner if you don't have a crockpot you need to invest in one! I do freezer dump meals (google that phrase) and will do all the prep (1-2hours) on a Sunday (or during naps!) and then I can take the meals out the night before, dump it in the crock the next morning and dinner is ready. I also batch cook in the crock pot: 6-9lbs of chicken breasts w/broth on high for 4 hours. I then dice or shred, bag it up and throw it in the freezer for later use. I use it in pasta, soups, salads, tacos, make chicken salad, etc... You can also do this on the grill if you have one. I boil a dozen eggs every week for breakfast/snacks/salads. I make double batches of soups and freeze half. I do large batches of meatballs, roast and freeze. Other things I batch cook are meatloaf, shredded pork roast, taco meat, lasagna (half pans). I tend to batch cook the things I know our whole family loves, so try things you know your family will eat. Just do one meal per week to start or make double and freeze half. Veggies are easy. I wash/cut up everything when I get home from the store. Or I buy the bags of pre-washed veggies and toss with a tablespoon of EVOO and roast or toss in the veggie grill basket. Or if pressed for time we just eat raw veggies like carrots or grape tomatoes (yes, tomatoes are technically a fruit!).
    I've really simplified our meals over the years and found life to be much easier and quicker now even though I have three kids and a crazy schedule. It's not the gourmet stuff I used to cook, but it's healthy.
  • JessicasGold
    JessicasGold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have 3 kids, 6, 4, and 3. I will do my best to work out after they are asleep for the night (no more naps). Occasionally I will work out while they are awake in the day, and will set them up with some coloring books and some blocks and will do my work out. It doesn't always pan out to be the most productive workout but it is definitely better than nothing. A HUGE plus for me, is that they SEE me working out sometimes. I feel as though they will learn from me and it will become a part of their daily lives as they grow. Hang in there! It does get easier as they sleep longer for naps and night time. Keep trying!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Cook in advance as much as possible. If you wait until it's lunch time to make yourself a decent meal, you bet some cute little person will throw a wrench in your plan. Even though your job is at home right now, pretend it isn't and "pack" a lunch the night before. Make dinner way ahead of time...possibly in big batches on the weekend when hopefully you have more help. Or make tomorrow's dinner tonight when they go to bed (or during nap time). Prepping is your best friend right now. My kids are 6 and 3 and I still cook ahead A LOT.

I also like to make a huge salad on Sunday night and keep adding to it throughout the week so it's easy to grab and add some protein for a quick and healthy meal or addition to dinner.

Try to break your exercise into really small chunks of time (5 minutes here and there). And/or add in exercise during naps, early in the morning (that is if your 2 month old is sleeping through the night. If not, I say F that and get as much sleep as you can for now!!!), or in the evening. If you have a spouse who comes home around dinner time, hand over the kids and go exercise. Even 20 minutes helps. And try to generally stay active even when you are helping your kids. I try to stay on my feet a lot when I'm home with my kids. It may sound silly, but you can march in place while preparing the toddler's lunch. And definitely go outside and take walks as often as you can. Or turn on music and have a dance party. 2 year old will love it and the baby will probably watch from her bouncy chair. Good luck!!!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I say other than taking them for walks, forget working out. FOR NOW. You just had a baby. Focus on eating at a deficit. It's so much easier to eat less, than try to work off what you eat.
    Look into once a month cooking. It's a lot of work up front, but then you have a whole month prepped and ready for the stove top, oven, or crock pot. emeals.com has great weekly menu options, if you don't want to shop a month at a time.
    Also I would look into Flylady.net. It's a way of managing a house through routines. It saved my life when I had baby #2. I had to learn to think about dinner in the morning, or the day before. And, if you have one, utilize your crock pot as much as you can. Don't have one, GET ONE! :)
    Good Luck!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yes, I remember those days, as well. What helped keep me in shape was a double stroller. That was the best purchase I had when my two were babies. They enjoyed riding in it and I was able to get my exercise in.
  • sweetandsassyred
    sweetandsassyred Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Do you ever use a slow cooker? Do some weekend snack prep and nap time workouts. I know sometimes they don't nap at the same time but if you can while the younger is napping and try to get the 2 year old to get moving with mommy even that young they will not over do it and they will have fun. You will do your thing and they will practice along with you.
  • EnglishCanadian
    EnglishCanadian Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Agree with lots of this; I work out after they've gone to bed. That's MY time. Food prep - I'm still getting a handle on this but I'm getting there. Keep on, keeping on and you'll get there. It takes time to set up new routines and at those ages things are changing so rapidly, you'll get there!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Do you ever use a slow cooker? Do some weekend snack prep and nap time workouts. I know sometimes they don't nap at the same time but if you can while the younger is napping and try to get the 2 year old to get moving with mommy even that young they will not over do it and they will have fun. You will do your thing and they will practice along with you.

This. Crock pots are awesome and if you get three or four you can prep all when you have a minute. Chicken picante, lean pulled pork (we use a loin and add water), homemade soup (pick your poison), healthy shepard's pie, lemon chicken, black beans (for use over ANYTHING :), veggie tossdown (take a bunch of veggie's you like and throw them in there with spices - awesome!!!) to serve with tofu (or whatever you want ;), spaghetti squash & turkey meatballs (http://www.iwashyoudry.com/2013/09/04/super-easy-crock-pot-spaghetti-squash-meatballs/).

You can also throw prepped meals into freezer in gallon bags and pull them out. Ditto with stuff like pre-made chicken fajita filling (defrost in microwave, heat the tortilla, add cheese - bam), pre-made ceasar chicken for salads (defrost in microwave, grab a bag of salad - bam), pre-made veggie topping for boil in the bag brown rice.

Make twice as much as you need as often as you can and freeze the second portion. Find quick & easy items that make zippity zip zip meals such as a baked potato from the microwave with whatever you've go handy and healthy. My kids always love them with cheese broccoli from the freezer section or the Cesar flavored chicken breast (I used to keep a lot of the Cesar chicken in individual bags on hand. They liked it a lot and it was cheap and super easy to make.)

Eggs. Make some boiled ones for the week - keep in a bowl in fridge. Dinner: Grab some reduced sodium turkey, a little shredded cheese and put it on anything you want (we used salad the most but I we also did rice cakes and baked potatoes). Chop egg slices and serve with a half or whole piece of toast or a few crackers for snack. Another snack, chop one in half, stick a toothpick in top with a piece of cheese on it. Looks like a little boat ;). Egg salad. Remove yolk and stuff the white part with anything you want if the kids don't like yolks or can't eat them (my youngest didn't). Could be tuna, hummus, grape tomato, whatever. Also, we took eggs and served with veggies like carrots or sliced cucumber on side for a two minute snack.

Toaster - also a good friend. My kids loved toasted bread (as opposed to non-toasted wheat bread) with virtually anything on it. Hummus, tuna, turkey, again with the Cesar chicken - I would chop it (I know - right??? But they really loved it and we were on a really tight budget!!)

Fav Snacks: Raisins (in boxes - woohoo), pretzels, dried fruit of any kind, rice cakes with anything (my kids liked crunch), toast (ate a lot of wheat toast) with preserves spread thinly or peanut butter or spray butter/shake of cinnamon & sugar.

Do whatever will work for you! I know this was a lot and maybe something helped?

Best of luck and take care!!!