? is 200cal burned in 30mins as good as 200 in 15min ?

Options
Hi there,

New to all this exercise lark and recently joined a gym. This morning I was on the x trainer and gave myself mini challenge to burn 200 cals.

The thing is at the pace that was set for me there is no way i could get to 200 so I slowed down a bit and took longer and got there.

My question is this obviuosly 200 cals is 200 cals but is it better for you to lose them quicker, sorry for my naivety, I know vaguely that the higher your heart rate the more fat you burn, and I did keep my heart rate over 140 but just wanted to know your thoughts?

I still worked up a sweat and got worn out just at a more leisurely pace becasue i couldn't sustain a faster one?

Thanks so so much if you reply, also really could use some friends on here so feel free to add me thanks.

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I would be happy to be your friend - check out my profile.
    I answer to your question 200 calories is 200 calories it doesnt matter how long it takes you to burn them.
    However for your overall fitness and cardiovascular health ... longer exercise does a better job of increasing that.
    Besides... although you should push your boundaries, you should not do something that you cannot do... sounds like you met the challenge well! :)
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious about this myself. :)
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    bump... i'd like to know too!!
  • FierceFox81
    FierceFox81 Posts: 89
    Options
    You said it! 200 is 200. However what are your goals? Do you have dates for those goals? Are you counting calories? If your goal was to get to 200 calories no matter how you got there...then awesome and good job!

Don't worry about what others say is better, because it is different for everyone and their personal goals. Some people have a deadline they are trying to meet. Others want to increase endurance. So each would have different workouts.

Just do what you enjoy, and listen to YOUR body :)

Good luck!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Lower effort means you can generally go for longer, meaning you can burn more overall, but if you're going to burn 200 cals in whatever time it takes, at the end of it, you'll still have burnt 200 cals however you get there. Not sure lower intensity is great for improving heart health though, and high intensity interval training is good for increasing fitness quickly too. Also high intensity means you can get more calorie burn in in a shorter space of time (for the time conscious!).

Regarding the weight loss of 200 cals at low intensity versus high intensity, I think even though at low intensity you burn more fat % wise, the high intensity catches up in the "after burn" anyway.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I dont know if there is much truth in it but a few people have told me that your body only starts burning calories and fat efficiently once you have done 20 minutes of cardio exercise.

I am off to have a google now!

Edit: I had a google and cant find an answer. Tbh I have always done at least 20mins of cardio anyway. I think just so long as you are constantly pushing yourself you will be fine.
  • 44Tony
    44Tony Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Burning 200 calories is a good thing regardless of how long it takes. However, you need to keep in mind that you are burning calories every minute, even when you don't exercise. For me, at my age/weight, I burn about 2 calories per minute while I am awake. So, if I burn 200 in 30 minutes exercising, I need to back out 60 (2 per minute X 30 minutes) calories from my "Net Calories" on MFP. If it took me only 15 minutes to burn those same calories, I would only have to back out 30 caloires to get to my accurate calories burned for the day.

hope it helps
  • aesoliday
    aesoliday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a trainer and working on my RD. Like you said 200 cal is 200 cal. I agree with the previous post though you should always try to push the boundaries with in reason. If you are short of breath or a little sore that's good, but falling over gasping and not being able to move the next day is never a good thing. Remember taking the time to stretch, warm up and cool down will help you progress, and recover faster!!! Sounds like your doing great though :) !!!
  • jadeymum
    jadeymum Posts: 26
    Options
    Glad it isnt just me that is wondering this! Thanks so much for replies so far.

Think I need to think harder about goals and mini goals and set myself more, just know at the moment that by my 30th birthday in oct I want to lose 17 pounds and am trying to track calories and up exercise from none ever to 1 body pump,1 aqua aerobics, 1 body balance class and a couple of sessions in the gym too. Hope that will do it but am constantly fighting reaching for the biscuit tin :))

Interesting stuff about this and about net calories too, ohhh I have so much to learn and love this site, thanks
  • jadeymum
    Options
    aesoliday your profile pic is amazing and inspiring! thanks because I felt like I was cheating some how by taking longer to get there but feel less bad now :) will try to push my self a bit harder next time and gor for 250 cal and step up the speed gradually as i feel ready for it

x
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    aesoliday your profile pic is amazing and inspiring! thanks because I felt like I was cheating some how by taking longer to get there but feel less bad now :) will try to push my self a bit harder next time and gor for 250 cal and step up the speed gradually as i feel ready for it

x

Don't feel bad about doing exercise!!!! You're doing it!

And you'll see improvements. If you can afford that longer period of time, it might make sense to workout for the same time period, but doing more over it, rather than just working harder and for less time.
  • jadeymum
    Options
    thanks for looking curleesam and Kirsty_uk thanks for the support :) is just another thing to beat myself up about I guess!

going to tell myself well done for once instead :)

And well done to anyone else meeting any goals in wieght or inches or nsv's or doing any exercise today too :) think we deserve a pat on the back for effort (not in a patronising way)

Hope everyone has a good day x