Getting frusterated! :(

Help!! I seem to be at a stand still with my weight loss, even though I'm working my butt off and consistently eating just under my daily calorie budget. Technically I should be losing... But my weight hasn't budged in over 2 weeks now! All recommendations welcome!!! TIA!!!

Replies

• kelseyg22
    kelseyg22 Posts: 36 Member
    what does "working your butt off" mean? if you are doing the same work out over and over, you may just need to change it up. and don't forget, water water water!!
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Are you tracking accurately? Some people tend to under estimate how many calories they're actually consuming.
  • plastic2
    plastic2 Posts: 3 Member
    Don't forget all of the good you are doing for your body on the inside!!!! Actual pounds is just one factor! Applaud your healthy ways and it will all fall into place!!!!
  • CarolineLeclair
    CarolineLeclair Posts: 48 Member
    Hi Kelsey, I probably don't drink enough water!!! I will definitely work on that!!! Working my butt off means running an average of 15 miles/week. And gym 2-3x per week. At the gym I switch between yoga, RPM (spin), and weights.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Can you open your diary?

Also 2 weeks is nothing to worry about anyway, weight loss isn't linear - you won't lose weight every week. Some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. But still worth investigating any problems you might be having now to try to mitigate a longer stall in the future.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    If you aren't losing weight then you aren't eating fewer calories than you're burning. It is almost always as simple as that and no amount of water or exercise will change that fact. I can't see your diary to offer any specific advice. How accurate is your food logging and your entering of calories burned? What tools are you using to ensure accuracy?
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    You could be gaining muscle. I know in the past, especially when I was training for a triathlon, it felt like I was always eating (healthy) due to burning so many calories during brick workouts (swimming+ running, biking+running) but the numbers on the scale didn't move (I wasn't looking for them to, just something I noticed). But all the while, I was building so much lean muscle.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

*dodges tomatoes from the super duper health crazed MFP pros who will refute this point*
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    You could be gaining muscle. I know in the past, especially when I was training for a triathlon, it felt like I was always eating (healthy) due to burning so many calories during brick workouts (swimming+ running, biking+running) but the numbers on the scale didn't move (I wasn't looking for them to, just something I noticed). But all the while, I was building so much lean muscle.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

*dodges tomatoes from the super duper health crazed MFP pros who will refute this point*
    ::snickers and hefts a tomato:: Muscle weighs more than fat by volume. In other words, muscle is more dense than fat so a pound of muscle is much smaller than a pound of fat.

That said, unless the OP is eating at a surplus she probably isn't gaining muscle. It's nearly impossible to gain muscle while eating at a deficit. In my experience since I've started lifting while eating at a deficit, I'm losing weight more slowly while lifting heavy 2-3 times per week but I'm still losing.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    This may sound crazy but it is most likely time for you to increase your intake. How long have you been at your current calorie level?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Two weeks could easily be a natural stall due to hormones, sodium, hydration levels, ovulation, TOM, changes to your exercise routine, etc. You may not need to do anything, yet.

Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Are you weighing your food?
  • CarolineLeclair
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Are you tracking accurately? Some people tend to under estimate how many calories they're actually consuming.

• CarolineLeclair
    I am doing my best to track as accurately as possible. If ever I have any doubt I always over estimate calories in and underestimate calories burned.
  • CarolineLeclair
    plastic2 wrote: »
    Don't forget all of the good you are doing for your body on the inside!!!! Actual pounds is just one factor! Applaud your healthy ways and it will all fall into place!!!!

• CarolineLeclair
    Very true!! Thank you Plastic!!! I do feel awesome! Just wish I had something to show for all my hard work!
  • CarolineLeclair
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Can you open your diary?

Also 2 weeks is nothing to worry about anyway, weight loss isn't linear - you won't lose weight every week. Some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. But still worth investigating any problems you might be having now to try to mitigate a longer stall in the future.

• CarolineLeclair
    Hi Demora! I will open my diary! I would love your advice!!!
  • CarolineLeclair
    SueInAz wrote: »
    If you aren't losing weight then you aren't eating fewer calories than you're burning. It is almost always as simple as that and no amount of water or exercise will change that fact. I can't see your diary to offer any specific advice. How accurate is your food logging and your entering of calories burned? What tools are you using to ensure accuracy?

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Sounds like you exercise quite a bit which is fantastic. Be patient and don't give up. Try reducing your calorie intake a little if you can, without getting too hungry. One day you'll step on that scale and be so pleasantly surprised. Hang in there. You look great already btw...
  • CarolineLeclair
    I wear a fitbit and use the fitbit scale. I truly believe I do have a daily calorie deficit.... As I count very carefully and why I'm so frusterated. Starting to wondering there could be something medical? That being said, recent blood work said my thyroid is fine!