Using a food scale in front of your kids

haibu
haibu Posts: 67 Member
just looking for some opinions/thoughts here (particularly from mothers of daughters). I've been thinking about getting a food scale to help me with this last stretch (the vanity pounds).

That said, I'm currently at a healthy weight and size. And, well, I'm kind of hesitant about using a food scale in front of my kids and having to explain why...does that make sense? Like, my body is a healthy weight and, at this point, I'm just working on composition and, well, looks/vanity. Do I really want to get into that with my kids? I guess I'm afraid I'll project some unhealthy ideas about food and body image.

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I view it the same way as using measuring cups to follow a recipe.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I use mine in front of my 13 year old daughter. I just told her I like to be aware of what I'm consuming, so I know I'm getting the proper amount of food for my body.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    It's a tool to ensure you're not overeating or undereating.

It's not as if it's some x rated toy...

My food scale is out on the counter in plain sight and I use it like any other kitchen gadget.

I fail to see the issue here.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Whenever I cooked with my mum we always used scales, how else do you accurately follow a recipe? Also used scales in cookery classes at school.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    My 6 year old asked me once a while back about it. I just told her I use a food scale to make sure I'm using the right amounts for things.

Recipe idea is a good place to start too.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    I use it in front of my girls 14 and 16. They know why I use it. I never want my girls to struggle with weight issues. Fitness and healthy eating is very prominent at my house.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I find it useful to show my son what an actual serving size looks like.
  • I_Will_End_You
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wish schools would have kids log calories and weigh food as a project in high school health class for a week. Teach them about macros and their role in our bodies, what a reasonable portion of food looks like, how much they should consume for their size and activity level, how much protein they should get, etc.. It seems like one of the most important things you can teach teens as far as health is concerned.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    I agree with the "recipe" comparison. 35 plus years ago I worked at a Hagaan Das (sp) and Round Table and we measured everything. RT just wanted consistent pies and HD it was a budget deal. I think many weigh for many reasons and your kids see it everywhere. I think these are the habits our kids see that are really good for them to see. (IMO)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    What's the unhealthy idea involved in knowing how much you're eating?
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wish schools would have kids log calories and weigh food as a project in high school health class for a week. Teach them about macros and their role in our bodies, what a reasonable portion of food looks like, how much they should consume for their size and activity level, how much protein they should get, etc.. It seems like one of the most important things you can teach teens as far as health is concerned.

I totally agree!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member

I agree with you.
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    I have raised five girls, and sometimes I wish I could go back and deal better with body issues. I've never been verbal about the issues I have with my body, but they pick things up nonetheless. I understand your concerns, but I think using a food scale is a positive thing--it's an opportunity to show them that it's important to fuel your body with the proper amount of nutrition. If they ask about it, you don't have to say it's so you can lose vanity weight (though that could be handled in a way so as not to make a negative impact). Like pretty much everything else, it's all about how you handle it and explain it and your attitude about it.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Thanks for the advice, I think the recipe advice is a good one.

I guess I've just spent so much time stressing how much I love my body and how important it is to love your body and feel confident in it, that I feel, I don't know, like I'd have to admit that I'm not as happy with it as I've been saying. Does that make sense?
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member

I wish we would have done this, I grew up thinking "diet" was a punishment and avoided any nutritional teaching. It should have never been something to be scared of. It only took me 46 years to learn on my own, 25 of those as a nurse too. (oh well). LOL

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    I wouldn't get into the "vanity" with them... "Accuracy with recipes" is close enough. "Ensuring proper nutrition" is another good one.

Or, you could just do what you've been doing to get to a healthy weight to begin with...
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Whenever I cooked with my mum we always used scales, how else do you accurately follow a recipe? Also used scales in cookery classes at school.

In the US, recipes don't have weights, but rather measuring cups and spoons. We don't commonly have scales in our kitchens. The vast majority of people don't weight their food for the purpose of limiting portions, so it is often viewed as eccentric or disordered behavior.

• I_Will_End_You
    haibu wrote: »

I guess I've just spent so much time stressing how much I love my body and how important it is to love your body and feel confident in it, that I feel, I don't know, like I'd have to admit that I'm not as happy with it as I've been saying. Does that make sense?

You could tell them you're using it to make sure you're hitting your macros. I actually bought a food scale for the purpose of accurately tracking my protein intake.
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    haibu wrote: »

You can be totally confident in your body and still want it to look better. I don't think that's a negative message. If it came up, I'd just say something like, "I'm at a healthy weight and I feel great, so now I'm going to work on toning my muscles (or whatever your focus is)." That's not a negative message. :)