Easy Blue-collar Lunches?

Options
_Valhalla_
_Valhalla_ Posts: 20 Member
edited June 2015 in Recipes
Hello. I am a blue collar worker, working outdoors everyday. All my lunches need to be in an icy lunchbox. Can someone make any suggestions for easy, healthy lunches that would suit me and other workers like me. Keep in mind that in the summer, temps reach 100*+ here in Texas. So lunches should be able to help me power through that. And yes, I usually drink a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day. Thank you for your help. Much love.

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i buy pita pockets for my husband and fill with chicken salad, tuna salad, whatever! you can even put chicken breast and some salad stuff in a pita pocket ~ plus I give him chips, fruit, granola bar ~ and of course an ice pack ~ Good Luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    When I make dinner I always make enough that I can put an extra portion in my husband's lunch box. I also add trail mix, fruit, sometimes a string cheese and of course an icepack. It works for him but we're in the PNW so it's probably never as hot as it gets in TX! For breakfast he usually has scrambled eggs and/or a green smoothie.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Never underestimate fruit for a snack - carbs and lots of water. Watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes have a lot of water in them and chilled are great for a hot day. Buy them pre-cut and just keep in a lunch bag with an icepack.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I live in Florida. I prepare and refrigerate my food the night before so that it starts off cold, including nuts and dried fruit.
    Some other ideas for foods that taste fine cold: bean and cheese burritos, cheese sticks, crab sticks (that fake crab usually called Krab -- low in calories and good for protein), fresh or canned fruit (I like applesauce but all fruits are good and will help give you fluids in the heat), hard boiled eggs, scrambled egg sandwiches, pita pockets with cooked hamburger (cooked and refrigerated the night before).
    Also, rice cakes pack easily.
  • Spaniel5
    Spaniel5 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Make your tuna or chicken salad with greek yogurt instead of mayo. It keeps better. pitas and wraps are good. bread in sandwiches tend to get soggy in a cooler. (yes I live in Texas). like CurvyToFit said, fruit. Watermelon and other choices are good to freeze the night before.
    I also make a mash out of cannellini beans with garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. It is high in protein but not heavy feeling when it gets warm outside. Use it for burritos or put on toast. Stuff like sliced raw veg. tomatoes, cucumbers, avacados are good "cool" choices. Nuts are good too. no refrigeration needed. Hope this helps you have some ideas.
  • afcrago
    afcrago Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast/deli wraps on high fiber low carb tortillas (like Ole Extreme Wellness) with some cheese and veggies.. easy cheap and you can take as many as you would like. My husband likes shredded chicken BBQ and Cheddar cheese. Good hot or cold.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    To answer your question as many others have:
    fruit like bananas and apples are easy to grab and go.
    other fruits like berries etc just cut up and bag.
    dried fruit and or nuts.
    greek yogurt ( I like the 100 calorie ones)
    Pita pockets/sandwich thins/ low cal wraps with whatever veggies you like and some hummus.
    hard boiled eggs
    peanut butter and banana sandwich/wrap.
    baby carrots/ mini peppers, cucumbers
    string cheese
  • _Valhalla_
    _Valhalla_ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying. All good suggestions and I will try all of them. As far as snacks go, I don't really time for snacks. I work on septic systems and my hands usually have dirt or are otherwise dirty from "stuff". This nutrition change is new for me. I've been working out for almost a year. I figure I need to get my food in check too.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My work has neither a fridge nor a microwave, although I don't work out in the heat or anything.

I've been making chicken hummus wraps (chicken, hummus of your choice (I use pesto hummus) + veggies of your choice, wrap it all up) and taking along a protein bar or something I've baked (e.g. scone, muffin), perhaps some fruit too/instead.

Another option is a thermos - I have one that is more bowl than cup shaped and I can heat up some leftovers and keep it hot in there for lunch as well. I like to make casseroles specifically to take leftovers for lunches.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Some ideas: cold grain salads or whole wheat pasta salads with meat/hard boiled eggs and lots of veggies, sandwiches with whole grain bread and lean meat, hummus with veggies and whole grain pita bread, cottage cheese with fruit, protein bars, hard boiled eggs, jerky...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Trailmix. It's made to power people through rough work.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    _Valhalla_ wrote: »
    Thank you all for replying. All good suggestions and I will try all of them. As far as snacks go, I don't really time for snacks. I work on septic systems and my hands usually have dirt or are otherwise dirty from "stuff". This nutrition change is new for me. I've been working out for almost a year. I figure I need to get my food in check too.

I would go with the "portable lunches" since you don't really want to be touching your food ~ pita pockets and wraps can be wrapped in tinfoil so you don't have to touch the food ~ bananas ~ granola bars
  • TeresaPSJ
    TeresaPSJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    what about smoothies that you can freeze and let thaw? Veggie, fruit or a combination of the 2.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    place containers of your favorite yogurt in the freezer the night and grab when you pack your lunch, they will be thawed or mostly thawed by lunch time. Plus they'll help keep other food cooler. If you pick the ones with the fruit on the bottom you might want to give it a good shake and freeze upside down so that some of the fruit stuff actually gets to the rest of the yogurt. If it still semi-frozen when you eat it, you might not be able to stir it. You might also think twice about the yogurts with mix-ins or the ones with the tapered container (Yoplait?) for the same logic.

Freezing changes the taste of the yogurt, so you might not like the same flavor frozen as you would normally. I have found a couple of flavors that I only like frozen (bought a multi-pack, didn't really like it the normal tried freezing to avoid wasting food, liked it better)

For regular food I would have said much of the same food as the people above me listed.