Gave up sodas...now have headaches

Options
13»

Replies

• jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm hydrated by drinking 8-12 cups of H20 per day.
  • jaxass
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

That's incredible. MiO is worse than a Mountain Dew.

Say goodbye to my MiO. Interesting!

Oops...it says MiO "energy". I wonder if that's the same as the regular flavoring????
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    jaxass wrote: »

Oops...it says MiO "energy". I wonder if that's the same as the regular flavoring????

no, there are different types of mio, not all of them have caffeine.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is day 2 in which I have not drank a soda (or 3). Now my headache is killing me. I imagine it will last a few days until my body adjusts. Would flavored water help any? You know, MIO, or other brand water flavorings?

Could you mix in some seltzer water and eliminate it more gradually? I've heard that MIO is bad for you. If it doesn't caffeine, whatever active ingredient it has instead is not an improvement.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I tried to give up coffee and by mid afternoon I get a splitting headache. Now I have my two coffees in the morning but I use zero cal sweetener. Its worth it for me not to have the headaches and I really love coffee. I did size down to a 10 oz travel mug from a 20 oz which cut my caffeine consumption in half.

I'm sure you've read that a reasonable amount of caffeine is fine for some people, and some it actually helps. 10 oz sounds reasonable to me.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I cut sodas out gradually in the past and have also gone cold turkey. Cold turkey took about 3 days of hell and then I felt like a whole new person. I think it was the sugar AND the caffeine I was withdrawing from. Peppermint tea (an herbal tea, no caffeine), headache pills (ibuprofen or tylenol), and sleep were the only things that would help that headache. The tea really does help a good deal and is pretty tasty either with no sweetener or I sometimes have it with 2 packets of Truvia. Great for the sinuses, too, if those are bothering you.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'll get this stuff out of my system soon enough. Thanks!

That's the right attitude. Break it, don't switch it.

Back in the 80's I was drinking 10 cups of coffee a day (or more) of poor quality office coffee swill and I was thoroughly addicted to caffeine. While on a winter mountaineering trip (no coffee) I suffered huge headaches which certainly impaired my enjoyment of the climb. I resolved to cut coffee/caffeine cold turkey and break my addition, and I did. I seem to recall that by day four the headaches were not as bad; running (cardio) helped me too, due to endorphins, I presume.

The headaches are not permanent! Just ask plenty of pregnant women (and some of their husbands) who quit cold turkey.

Eventually I would start drinking coffee again but only in moderation, and only good quality coffee. Most days I'll have just a single 12 oz cup a day in the morning made from tasty freshly ground quality beans.

Incidentally, cheap ground coffees often include a mix of cheaper Robusta beans rather than all Arabica beans. Robusta beans contain almost twice the caffeine as Arabica.

• htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Usually I've had headaches about 3 days, then nothing. Right now I'm 132 days without soft drinks or sweet tea. Have had some coffee but not regularly.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Only MIO energy has caffeine, but the way they measure it sounds worse than it really is. One "squirt" is enough for 16oz of water, so it works out to 45 per 12oz.
  • jaxass
    Options
    I only use MiO when I workout. I drink plain ole water everywhere else.

I'd like to see a report that says MiO is bad for you. Not saying it is or isn't. I'd just like a report. Anyone??????
  • cnewt64
    cnewt64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To keep my fluid intake up, when I cut out diet soda, I switched to drinking seltzer water, coffee, and tea. MiO is still sweetened with an artificial sweetener, though not aspartame. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're desperate for flavor. I love bubbles and the seltzer water keeps me hydrated. I cut out soda two months ago with several unsuccessful attempts in the past. This is the longest I've gone without it and I came from a place where I used to have horrible, panic inducing migraines and headaches from the caffeine withdrawal. I even developed chronic sleep deprivation patterns. Since I stopped drinking diet soda I've had a lot more energy just with my two cups of coffee and maybe a glass of Stevia sweetened iced tea a day. Other than that, I've heard that cutting out caffeine completely will take at least eleven days to clear from your system.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I gave up sodas and coffee when I started my diet. I didn't ditch the coffee for any reason other than I can't stand it black and pile it up with cream and sugar, which just seems like wasted calories at the beginning of the day. I had brutal headaches (including one day of a sick migraine) for about four days. I was also super crabby and sluggish. Now I feel great. I occasionally drink a green tea, but it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. I also don't feel so exhausted when I first wake up. Hang in there. It gets better.
  • jaxass
    Options
    Headaches are gone.

I won't give up MiO, just as y'all won't give up coffee or tea, until I see a scientific report that states the negative. Not someone's opinion about it, but scientific proof.

Let's see how long I can hold out.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you gave up soda! I will have Mio every now and then too if I'm having a rough morning!
  • jaxass
    Options
    Thanks Krystale.

I rarely drink MiO, but if I want to change it up, I'll throw a dash of MiO fruit punch in my water.