How do people get through that "muscle burn" when exercising....

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
I love working out and attending classes but I can never push myself through those muscle burn phases, how do people do it?....

I get them when Spinning and Bodypump (from squats, lunges etc) but as soon as I come face to face with the burn I have to stop for a second then get back into it...I just want to get through that burn!!!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way but you pretty much just need to "HTFU"...
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything before you workout? I find a pre-workout snacs can do me wonders in terms of pushing through an intense workout; my favorite is a half of an English muffin with 10 - 15 grams of peanut butter. You can also do a little snack during the workout if it is extremely intense (think Gu (eww in my opinion), or my personal favorite Jelly Beans) for some extra energy, although its debatable whether that is needed in a one hour class... but possibly depending on the intensity... I know I tend to use them when I am doing an intense run for over 5 miles. Hope this helps
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I second this. Workouts are painful. Embrace the pain, you are pushing your body to become something stronger than before. Metal music helps \m/
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

I second this. Workouts are painful. Embrace the pain, you are pushing your body to become something stronger than before. Metal music helps \m/

Your workouts are painful?
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options

LOL, I had to look that one up. Along the same lines… suck it up, buttercup :-P

Anyway, stopping for a second and getting right back into it is fine. Just do it less and less. I think we all need a little HTFU at times!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, you just push through, you simply have to want it more, mind over matter and all that jazz.

Rigger
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Yours aren't lol? Call me crazy, but heavy deads/squats/OHP/'insert lift' etc. typically aren't described as comfortable activities.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Haha ok then..I guess I'm not working as hard as I thought then..just kidding...I work very hard when working out, I just need to implement "mind over matter" a bit more
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Think about something that makes you VERY angry. This helps me. It's also kind of like free therapy. ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Minds usually give in long before the body... Making some obscene face or grunting sounds usually help push through the pain
    :)
  • dreous44
    dreous44 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Work on your breathing. that is what is causing the burn. You're Breathing too much oxygen and not enough co2, it comes when you are taking short and quick breaths, some breathing exercises will help you. I use an altitude mask for marathon training and i can push so much harder and not feel ANY burn whatsoever because it forces breathing slower and deeper.
  • Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Yours aren't lol? Call me crazy, but heavy deads/squats/OHP/'insert lift' etc. typically aren't described as comfortable activities.

I second this :)
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I add on more weight, than hit it again. If it's joint or severe muscle pain then stop, but just burn, try to keep going till you can't go anymore. Burn is good, love the burn
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Yeah its not muscle or joint pain, just burn but will try and control my breathing a bit more...Thanks all
  • Fat_Girl_Gone
    Fat_Girl_Gone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You just have to power through it I'm afraid, take a break just long enough to recover and get back too it. I'm 309lbs and have Fibro and SLE, I pushed through Jillian Micheals 6 week 6 pack (haha I wish) yesterday, I stopped, I sunk to the floor and I cried, but you know what, I completed it and it felt amazing. The main thing is to keep trying, once you feel you're about to give up say to yourself "5 more seconds" after a few days "10 more seconds" and build up to it, you'll make it though eventually.