Ignorance is Bliss?...! The Phase Game

Options
javarushed
javarushed Posts: 218 Member
I never realized how particular one could become when choosing to eat healthy. It's like one big Pandoras box full of Sh.... errr... riddles? I decided to classify the levels of particularity.

Before I dieted, I ate whatever I wanted and didn't care. We'll call this Level 1. The IDC Phase.

Then I was like okay I feel a little too fat lately, I'll cut down on the sweets. We'll call this Level 2. The Concerned Phase.

Let me take this to the next level and I'll start using Splenda! Level 3. The "BFF fake sugar" Phase

Then you get to pick which "team" you want to join. The WW portion control team, The Low Carb Team or The Low Fat Team. The strongest Team with the most amount of members is the Low Fat Team. The WW team kind of plays both fields, but leans towards its stronger option and joined forces with the Low Fat Team. The Low Carb team has been gaining some ground lately though! I found a Niche and chose South Beach Diet! This made me immune from being labeled and I'm like a diplomat! Whichever team you pick, will earn you instant enemy status with the other teams. We'll call this Level 4"The Draft Phase"

So there I am, feeling pretty good about myself and WHAM! I'm informed that my sodium levels are unacceptable! So we'll call this Level 5 the "No Salt for you!" Phase

Once again there I am feeling like the BMOC and I hear a whisper.... PSST fake sugar is evil. Stevia is the only way to go. Its from Nature and stuff! So We'll call this the "Nature" phase level 6.

Now I know there are many more phases to go, but I'm not sure which path to take next or how far I will go to prove how hardcore I can be! I have the following options to pick from: Organic Food Only, No Hormone Produce, Meat is bad, TOFU only... and hmmm... I do/don't eat back all my exercise calories!?! It's late/early and I'll think of some more phases to add later! Unless you fine MFP members would like to help!

This post was done in jest and was somewhat exaggerated, but it does have some truth to it. I just thought it would be cool to have some type of Phase Standards and to be like Hey I'm in Level 5!

To Be Continued...

Replies

• redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    LOL...this gave me a good laugh. There is NO doubt that there are so many confusing and contradictory tid bits of information out there. This is why I get in a major rut with eating - maybe it's the "safe zone phase' where I find a handful of "safe foods" that fit all the required criteria and just eat those over and over......that is, until my body and the scale revolt and refuse to drop any lower until I change things up!
  • Scentlessapprentice
    Scentlessapprentice Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Amen to everything you have just said! I'm at the" I'm not going to think about it but hope for the best" phase. Not entirely convinced this approach will work, but it's all just so confusing!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I would like to know what level 4 is oops silly me you got a typo and 2 level 5's.
    I like the denial phase where you have hit a wall or a plateau when really you over indulged or slacked on the exercise thats me phase - O no you didn't!!!
  • javarushed
    Options
    I would like to know what level 4 is

Good eye! The Draft Phase I had two level 5s :D
  • javarushed
    Options
    LOL...this gave me a good laugh. There is NO doubt that there are so many confusing and contradictory tid bits of information out there. This is why I get in a major rut with eating - maybe it's the "safe zone phase' where I find a handful of "safe foods" that fit all the required criteria and just eat those over and over......that is, until my body and the scale revolt and refuse to drop any lower until I change things up!

haha the safe zone phase could come before the draft Phase!
  • javarushed
    Options
    Amen to everything you have just said! I'm at the" I'm not going to think about it but hope for the best" phase. Not entirely convinced this approach will work, but it's all just so confusing!

Haha the "confused" phase could be merged with the safe zone phase suggested by redsoxy :D
  • javarushed
    Options
    I would like to know what level 4 is oops silly me you got a typo and 2 level 5's.
    I like the denial phase where you have hit a wall or a plateau when really you over indulged or slacked on the exercise thats me phase - O no you didn't!!!

haha very good suggestion!
  • javarushed
    Options
    Thanks for the overall "fun" filled responses... so far :D I thought for sure I'd strike a nerve and I could have sworn I heard some wolves growling in the distance!!!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've been through all the phases and have now arrived at 'I'm eating a little bit of all food groups, nothing is banned or evil but I prefer real versions over diet versions of anything phase'

This phases has me in a great mental place and I'm losing weight too.

Thanks for a great post
  • javarushed
    Options
    I've been through all the phases and have now arrived at 'I'm eating a little bit of all food groups, nothing is banned or evil but I prefer real versions over diet versions of anything phase'

This phases has me in a great mental place and I'm losing weight too.

Thanks for a great post

Glad you enjoyed the post :D So I guess we can label this phase "Everything In moderation" Phase? lol
  • angelicpiece101
    angelicpiece101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Mine is kind of like this except no plateau, but the slacking on the exercise is still the same lol thats where I am personally.....thanks for the laugh tho! I really got a kick out of your draft phase the most.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think this requires a flowchart! Since there are different paths to choose at certain points, it could make a pretty funny diagram, don't you think?
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Haha. I'm in the organic/no meat/almost all unprocessed foods phase. And I think I like it here. :happy:
    But I'm pretty sure I went through all of those phases before I got to where I am now.
  • kathieh1
    kathieh1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I vote for a flow chart too... with illustrations. Have you seen those posters they do for towns with the little cartoon pictures? I could imagine a flow chart (think game board) with all these phases and really great illustrations for each one. Thanks for sharing. I'm in the phase where you keep blinders on and just keep to what you're doing UNTIL the weight gets gone.. then make a choice of something healthy to do forever.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "Everything in moderation" phase as well, but kind of in transition to "Cut down on processed foods" phase (minimize pastas, breads, etc).

I like the flow chart idea as well. I think it would be cool if we could group build one in www.prezi.com. I have started a presentation and here is the link should anyone else wish to help me with it.

http://prezi.com/presentation/hroush@unomaha.edu/9zhjd1x/
  • Scentlessapprentice
    Options
    I'm at the "I can have chocolate for every meal as long as I don't go over my calories" phase now. Really not good lol
  • Scentlessapprentice
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that depending on time of day, mood your in, circumstances at that moment in time you can hit numerous phases in one day?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am in the Go Hard, All In Phase...............I try very hard to make sure processed foods don't cross the threshold of my lips at least 90% of the time.

That gives me 1 or 2 meals a week as lee way..........
  • javarushed
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I haven't thought of / reached some of these newly suggested levels... I still have a good way to go! The flow chart is a great idea! I'll help play around with that idea tonight!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Haha! Thanks for the giggle! I'd love to see a flow chart, it would go on for days.