any ladies doing body for life?

mom216
mom216 Posts: 287 Member
I am looking for ladies who are following Body for Life - I could use an "accountability partner" - I'm over 50 with 20lbs to lose. I managed to get to the gym today and eat healthy. I know it is a slow start - but (for me) it is progress.

Replies

• berry1231
    berry1231 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I just started today! I have about 50 to lose. I'm still trying to finish the book and find recipes.
  • mom216
    Yay!! I have 20 lbs to lose, and lots of "jiggle" to firm up. I too am just starting. A few years ago I was at my all time low of 118 lbs - it was way too thin for my frame. Now I just want to firm up & feel good in my clothes.
  • ekalcur
    ekalcur Posts: 20 Member
    I will be starting on Monday the 8th!
  • mom216
    I look forward to this!!! I go to the gym for cardio/eliptical - and I was looking on youtube for at home exercises. My mini goals are to honestly plan, and track my food. plus go to the gym at least 4 times a week.
  • mom216
    What are your mini goals?
  • mom216
    Good morning! I started a blog to capture this journey - if you would like to keep in touch - send a friend request. I'm digging in my heels, preparing for battle with my stubborn fat!
  • berry1231
    Im interested!

There is a revised "body for life" program by the same guy who wrote the book. If you go to bodybuilding.com it is now called "Back to Fit". From what I can see, it's the same diet, I think the exercises have been slightly changed. The website has a TON of information, much more for this new program than I found for "body for life". You can track your exercise through their app, and it's very user friendly.
  • mom216
    Thank you!!! I'm eating my "mid-afternoon" snack right now, then off to the gym. B) Have a wonderful day!
  • berry1231
    So, from what I can see the difference in Body for Life and Back to Fit is that you do weight training 4x a week, cardio 2x a week on Back to Fit. Body for Life was weight training 3x a week, cardio 3x a week. I walk on average 6 miles a day, so I think Back to Fit might be better for me, as I need to incorporate more weight training. Thinking of doing a cardio run on arm days as well just so I get in 3 runs a week.

Leg day was hell.
  • mom216
    Sounds good! I'm taking it slow - I have a bad knee. A few years ago I worked with a trainer. The AB floor work put me in the hospital with a tear in my lower back. I'm not supposed to do anything that might cause further injury. I have been looking at youtube videos for more static exercises . Given my health history - if it hurts or my body doesn't feel right, I stop immediately. My way might be slower than most - but so far it is working.

I looked at taking fish oil or cod oil as an anti-inflammatory...... the side effects look worse than the pain.

My laugh for the day.... according to the scale..... I lost 5 lbs while I was sleeping. I know my body weight just fluctuates by 5 lbs (up and down) - so I didn't get all giddy. Now if the number stays down for a week or two - then maybe, just maybe I really did lose that much. :o
  • K_life
    K_life Posts: 7 Member
    All the best to you ladies. I am doing the workouts for the next 33 days before going on holiday. Want to do full 12 week routine later.
  • berry1231
    Finding it hard to get all my meals in, just not hungry now that it's getting so hot out. Work outs are going good, weight is slowly coming off.
  • mom216
    Just keep going - you are doing a great job!! I save a few calories for a nice protein shake at the end of the day!
    For me it took a couple of days or really spacing out smaller meals. Now I'm hungry every 3 hours (not always convenient) and I am satisfied with less food. I'm experimenting in the kitchen, finding healthy tasty alternatives. Today I tried baked zucchini:
    http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/appetizersandsnacks/r/Roasted-Zucchini-Rounds.htm

surprisingly good! :)

The exercise part is quite challenging for me - I have very little core strength - I just keep pushing myself. Think GPS - it doesn't care where you start - it just tells you how to get there! And if you get a little lost along the way... recalculating. B)