What I learned being on the forums for a week

Options
13»

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Reading the OP reminded me that before MFP I would do the same as the OP go on a "healthy eating" kick get hungry depressed bored and then binge and put on any lost weight and more.

Even when I first joined MFP I still looked for threads such as Juice Fasting, Phentermine, Shakes, etc etc Anything that I thought was going to make me lose weight fast.

However, after reading all the "Mean People" comments in those kind of threads debunking all the fad diets and putting forward the "stupid" idea that all calories are equal for weight loss and that VLC diets do not work in the long term. I too had an epiphany. They were right!!! I was the one who was doing it wrong.

There are so many people on here who are legends in the forums, they are consistently telling the truth about how to lose weight. They patiently impart their wisdom in the forums so that people like me and the OP can have that light bulb moment and start to lose weight and get healthy in a sustainable way.

I applaud your generosity of spirit to come on the forums and face all the crap day after day just so others can benefit from your knowledge and experience.

And thank you OP for reminding me how much I owe to MFP

bynoe5sgy6a4.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - glad the forums were able to help you sort things out. When I saw the title I assumed this was going to be a mean people/bully thread….good for you.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Just like one salad won't make you healthy, one piece of chocolate won't derail your progress.

I've not read that before... that's a lil' nugget I'm tucking away.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    Before I thought there was such a thing as clean eating only and if I messed up even a little, the entire day is ruined and my diet is done. At first I was super mad that all of you are so strict/flat out against clean eating especially when I am prone to binges from too much "dirty" eating. But now I love how direct you guys are and it helped me learn that my diet is truly not over just because I had one thing that isn't "totally" healthy, having some cheat snacks might even help me keep on track. What I used to do definitely didn't work, which would be perfect eating and then binging after that and gaining it all back since I allowed myself nothing tasty

This post makes me happy <3
  • ToniHicks92
    ToniHicks92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love it here now, since coming here I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I never used to before

I agree
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yay OP! I have to admit, I came here expecting the whole 'everyone is so mean, why can't you all be nice and tell me what I want to hear and never disagree with my opinions and avidly swallow all my broscience, waaaaaaaaah!'

So it is nice to see someone who appreciates the 'tough love' approach that is quite prevalent around here, (me included).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Before I thought there was such a thing as clean eating only and if I messed up even a little, the entire day is ruined and my diet is done. At first I was super mad that all of you are so strict/flat out against clean eating especially when I am prone to binges from too much "dirty" eating. But now I love how direct you guys are and it helped me learn that my diet is truly not over just because I had one thing that isn't "totally" healthy, having some cheat snacks might even help me keep on track. What I used to do definitely didn't work, which would be perfect eating and then binging after that and gaining it all back since I allowed myself nothing tasty

I'm very happy for you! Well done for being open to new evidence.

I like all sorts of food. Calorie-dense food doesn't have to be a cheat, but rather a treat. No need to feel guilty if it's within your calorie limits.

Thanks for the nice thread about the forum!

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    1eb04dcf30bd709241e6c06ed0651e975647b42af2e89466a6fc198898017470.jpg

:lol:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So we cleaned this discussion up a lot as it jumped the shark early and derailing ensued. This started a very positive OP with lots of great, positive responses. Let's keep this thankful post a respectful, relevant discussion. We can have nice things, really we can. :flowerforyou:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Pretty awesome. Thanks @Olivia !
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Op, you will go far.
    This thread warms the cockles of my cockle.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Learned helplessness.....let me tell you a story
    Let me tell you a story. A long time ago, a baby elephant was born in captivity. While he was very little, his handlers used a chain to tie his leg to the ground. The little elephant pulled and pulled trying to get free but it never worked. Now that the elephant is full grown, the same chain is keeping him in place even tho he could easily break it. This phenomenon is called learned helplessness.

congratulation on setting yourself free :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Love this OP--carry on! <3
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I lost 70lbs in 2005 and then my dad died and I gained it all back. Then I I started to clean eating a few years back and started this big yo yo of gain, lose, gain, lose and couldn't figure out why in 2004 I lost weight and now couldn't. Then it dawned it on me.... in 2004 I allowed myself to eat healthy and treats AND I wasn't a clean eating freak machine. And so that is what I started doing since March of this year and I have lost nearly 40lb so far. It is so nice to see the light isn't is it? :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Olivia wrote: »
    So we cleaned this discussion up a lot as it jumped the shark early and derailing ensued. This started a very positive OP with lots of great, positive responses. Let's keep this thankful post a respectful, relevant discussion. We can have nice things, really we can. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for cleaning this up! Your work here is much appreciated. :flowerforyou:
  • MJacobs7575
    MJacobs7575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What works for me is that if I stayed with-in my goals at the end of the week, I treat myself to a snack that is not really healthy. Its always small and it does not push me over.
  • donna1432
    donna1432 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First 3 letters are What???? It's def a lifestyle change!!! No quick fix no creams and magic potions it's eat healthy and kick booty lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP and thanks for starting one of the rare "looks like a mean people but is really a thank you" thread.

Love when people realize this process doesn't have to be so painfully difficult.

Look forward to seeing you more in the forums OP!