Need Snack Ideas

Options
Please help a newbie with low calorie snack ideas. I'm looking for things to hold me over between meals. For some reason I'm starving! I need to start counting calories because I don't think I'm eating enough. I know if I was I wouldn't be hungry. What do you snack on? Thanks!

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    granola
    greek yogurt
    dried fruit/nuts
    hard boiled eggs
    hummus
    sliced veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers
    string cheese
    fresh fruit
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?

Some good snacks that I do are:
    Popcorn
    Beef Jerky
    Protein bars
    Wheat thins
    PB2 or Peanut Butter (depending on that days calories)
    Almonds
    Cheese sticks
  • JandCsMommy
    JandCsMommy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories yet-I haven't been counting. I need to. Thanks for these ideas!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my list.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

Yeah, figure out about how much you want to eat at meals and snacks. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark here.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Definitely count your calories (and weigh your food to make sure it's an accurate count). You might still feel hungry even if you're objectively eating enough. If so, play with what you're eating (for example, protein helps me feel more full, so 100 calories of cheese is more filling than a 100 calorie cracker pack). Usually, high volume (often veggies but soup can be good for this too), high fiber, high protein, "whole" foods help with feeling more full.

Here are some snack ideas:
    • cottage cheese: you can add plain cocoa powder for a nice chocolate flavor and berries for sweetness--very filling and tasty!
    • raw almonds: I find raw almonds are more filling than flavored or roasted ones. They are higher calorie for the volume than some of the other snacks on my list, but filling.
    • veggies: any kind is good!
    • low fat cheese: I prefer low fat because you get more protein for your calories and it still has a nice flavor. Weight Watchers brand has a jalepeno string cheese that is fun to eat (string!), flavorful and filling--2 sticks have 12 grams of protein for only 100 calories.
    • fruit: I usually pair this with something else, like 1/2 a serving of raw almonds, because fruit isn't always filling by itself (although I find apples, bananas and grapefruit are more filling than other fruits). Be sure to weigh your fruit and log it by the weight, not the item. The calories are much higher than they seem. For example, a typical Empire apple (my favorite kind) has just over 100 calories, rather than the 80ish that is listed if you select "1 medium". Likewise, my tangerines typically have about 80-100 calories, instead of the 40-60 usually listed by the piece.
    • granola/snack bars: be careful of this one. The nutritional stats vary widely on these, but there are some that are filling, easily transported snacks for when you're on the go. Look for ones with higher protein, lower calories and higher fiber--those will be more filling (emphasis on the protein for filling!). I like the Kashi Chocolate Almond Sea Salt ones because they're filling without too many calories and not too sweet.

Looking forward to seeing other people's suggestions!
  • DaniStrange
    DaniStrange Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @JandCsMommy

I usually prep veggies for the week in zip-locks with a small thing of home made dressing. This way its easy to grab and you aren't as tempted to eat junk.

If you are really hungry and need something to hold you over, reach for something with good, healthy fats in it. They make you feel fuller, longer. Generally for this I'd eat some avocado or nuts, particularly almonds and walnuts are highest in healthy fats.

Also I keep protein bars in my purse and car so I don't feel like I need to stop and get fast food. Be careful though because most protein bars are super high in sugar so read the label or else you'll spike your insulin. I buy "Think Thin" bars. I think they only have 1g of sugar and are gluten free!

I also make sure I have fruit cut up, ready to eat in my fridge. Makes it easier to eat healthy when you don't wanna cook or do a lot of work

Hope this helped, Good luck on your journey!
  • JandCsMommy
    JandCsMommy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! These ideas are all fantastic! I absolutely plan to start counting/weighing etc because otherwise I am lost. I know it has worked in the past. Thanks!
  • fry5150
    fry5150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually keep a variety or protein and balance bars in my desk so I have options depending on what I need for they day. They usually do the trick to hold me over.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carrots cut into chips and dipped in salsa. Also, cucumbers with Tajin seasoning or just chili, lemon and a little salt...crunchy and enough to hold you over with minimal calories impacting your day.