Sore muscles all the time?

Options
nenshali
nenshali Posts: 331 Member
Hello my dear mfp boards!

My situation is this: I've never been super active or naturally fit, I guess. I was much more into sport and fitness about one year ago, went running or inline skating daily. But from last September until May of this year, I barely did ANY sport at all.
In this time, I experienced lots of stiffness. I used to do yoga two years ago, now I'm even failing the easy things I remember I could do so easily, because my muscles always ache and feel tense and never feel stretched out.
I also suffered from headaches all the time because my whole body is tensed up so often, which was the main reason why I decided to start working out again.

Now I slowly started doing sports again and I experience worse sore muscles than I remember from the past. This weekend I ran 5km both on Saturday and Sunday. And since then, I feel like I can barely move my legs. they still hurt, especially my calfs are tensed up. While I see that I probably overdid it last week, as I went inline skating the other days as well (where I don't get that sore muscles from), I don't know how to handle the sore muscles properly.

Like, should I ignore them? Should I try to strech myself more, with yoga or something?
Should I consume more minerals or something?
(A few weeks ago a bloodtest was run and it looked overall good, but I don't know what specifially was tested, I just know it was a standard test and everything was fine).

Maybe it's a combination out of things, but what do you think? Any suggestions or am I doing some typical mistake/misinterpreting my body that I should know about?

(Btw I plan to also add swimming to my plan and I hope that this will help as well).

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I say make sure you are taking recovery time between workouts. I'm not 'old' but I do know that if I don't take time to recover I pay for it later. I, too, am sore all the time no matter what but if it's so bad that it's bothering your daily activities 3 days later then you need to let your body recover
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Kind of sounds like you pushed to hard to soon and now the body is pushing back. Try foam rolling, massage therapy or doing stretching routine. Your mind remembers being able to do certain thing with your body. Your body on the other hand has enjoyed its new state of being. As for all electrolytes like sodium are important. Add a banana or two to your daily diet for some potassium. Also, some magnesium.

Just start slow again. It will take some time to get to you once were. For the near future just don't jump into 5k's work your way back to that distance. Run 2k for a couple days or more and see how the body feels. After a few days add 0.5k and so on and so on. Listen to your body if it says a certain distance is causing extra pain, stay at that distance until you can do it comfortably and then move on. Same with your yoga. Your joints and muscles have gotten stiff and lost mobility from lack of use. Use the poses you enjoy and realize that they can all be modified enough until you loosen up enough to get to the proper form. As for swimming, ease into too. Though that is a little more low impact and in the beginning you can use the pool as way to stretch out the kinks your body is feeling right now.

Keep on keeping on. Go slow as you restart and Good Luck!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Rest up, keep going. DOMs are to be expected
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    What is this?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What is this?

What is what?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What is this?

What is what?

doms
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You are just getting visits from the DOMS fairy, OP

3044-2.jpg

Stretch, foam roll, sleep and lots of water. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is just part of strength training.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I will take the suggestions in. Due to university deadlines + moving out, I don't have time for sport until this weekend anyway. And from then on, I'll take it more slowly, but steadily :)