Cookbooks

Options
my name is Stephanie I am new to MFP. Actually I started a long time ago but I only did it for one day I've been doing it for 15 days straight now and I'm enjoying it and losing weight. My question is about healthy cookbooks. I am finding it very hard to find healthy cookbooks for whole foods eating most books require that you put in a can of soup instead of teaching you how to make it anybody have any suggestions out there? If your looking for friends feel free to add me.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have one called eat great lose weight.
  • Blessed_luv
    Blessed_luv Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Does it have foods that you make yourself or does it require you to use things like cream of mushroom soup. I would love to learn how to make things from Scratch.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I love "Oh She Glows", the cookbook and the blog. It's vegan, but don't let that stop you from trying some of the recipes; they are amazing. And everything is from scratch, though there might occasionally be an option for canned sauces for those who don't have time to make the recipe as written.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbooks are both labelled 'Farmer's Market', though both are by different author's and publishing companies. But both are set up by season and focus on using whole fresh ingredients.

Neither are 'low calorie' recipe books, but many recipes are low calorie and all look pretty healthy. And, most importantly, all of the recipes I've tried have been delicious.
  • Blessed_luv
    Options
    Thank you I'll check it out. :)
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite cookbook of all time, it's called The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. Really easy and healthy meals. I use it at least once a week.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Kitchen-Healthy-Family-Cookbook/dp/1933615567/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1433359530&sr=8-5&keywords=americas+test+kitchen
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Look at
    www.skinnytaste.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.eatingwell.com
    www.slenderkitchen.com
  • Blessed_luv
    Options
    Thank you! :)

• Blessed_luv
    Options
    I appreciate everybody's help with cookbooks I've already let some of these up they look pretty good thank you so very much!
  • maestromegatrixta
    maestromegatrixta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found "Isa Does It" to be very informative as well as having amazingly delicious (from scratch) recipes.
  • Blessed_luv
    Options
    Thank tou
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have to second the skinnytaste.com website. She has fabulous recipes that are healthy and are easy to make from scratch.
  • Monsansa
    Monsansa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ellie Krieger's cookbooks are great for cooking healthy food from scratch. I think they all give you the nutrition facts for each recipe, too, which is really helpful! http://www.amazon.com/Ellie-Krieger/e/B001JPCBM0
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    my name is Stephanie I am new to MFP. Actually I started a long time ago but I only did it for one day I've been doing it for 15 days straight now and I'm enjoying it and losing weight. My question is about healthy cookbooks. I am finding it very hard to find healthy cookbooks for whole foods eating most books require that you put in a can of soup instead of teaching you how to make it anybody have any suggestions out there? If your looking for friends feel free to add me.

Seriously? I love cookbooks and have hundreds of them, and all involve whole foods. I honestly wouldn't expect anything else unless I really sought out some Sandra Lee kind of cookbook (which I would not do, of course).

A nice starter one is Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. His book on Fish is also good. There are many just on vegetables, and the starter ones often are organized by veggie and have more information on the veggie, as well as recipes. A classic is Greene on Greens (it's not just greens). Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love is also good. And speaking of Barbara Kafka, she wrote a great book called Roasting that really changed how I approach cooking meat (although it deals with all kinds of dishes).

I would just go to a book store and browse too. There are millions of good cookbooks that have good recipes based on whole foods. You don't need a specific "healthy" cookbook--just look at the ingredients.

On the web I'd recommend 101cookbooks and epicurious as nice basic sites with lots of ideas.

Cooking Lite is a decent magazine.

I also love Cook's Illustrated stuff, but that gets more into the weeds.

Oh, and a book I seriously love is Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking.

I like the reference above to farmer's market cookbooks--I have a few of those too and they are also good, and several focused around eating seasonally.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (Oh, and welcome! My name is Stephanie too.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Jamie Oliver fan...I have all of his books.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Another one for the skinnytaste.com website, but if you prefer a book, she has a cookbook too:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Skinnytaste-Cookbook-Calories-Flavor/dp/0385345623
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a big Jamie Oliver fan...I have all of his books.

Love Jamie Oliver too!
  • Blessed_luv
    Options
    Thank you
  • Blessed_luv
    Options
    Thank you so much for your welcome and your information on cookbooks I truly appreciate it.