Question about how to use HRM calorie counter...

Options
Hi All,

I recently bought a ProForm HRM and I love the calorie counter! So much better than guessing! The only question I have is this: sometime when I use it, I notice that it counts calories for "downtime" as well. For example, last night I did a 60 minute Zumba class followed by a 60 minute yoga class. It said I ended up burning 680 calories total, but I noticed it kept counting even when I wasn't really moving (i.e. between classes and during the end meditation phase of the yoga class). I know we burn calories all the time just by walking from place to place and even breathing, so I wonder if I should I count those "in-between" calories burned? I hope this makes sense! lol

Replies

• mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but I've heard that cool downs also burn calories b/c while your heart rate is slowing it is still higher than a resting hear rate....does that make sense??
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Your heart rate is still elevated after a workout so you will continue to burn calories. I never count cool-down calories. Only count the calories burned when I am engaged in a workout
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    As long as your heart is pumping, you will always be burning calories. We burn calories while we sleep as well.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but I've heard that cool downs also burn calories b/c while your heart rate is slowing it is still higher than a resting hear rate....does that make sense??

yep this is effectively the concept behind HIIT training - when you heart rate is up you are burning cals
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a right or wrong way to use the HRM calories. I tend to write down my calorie burn for the treadmill, then stop & reset my HRM for when I start my next activity - weight training, DVD, eliptical, etc. I go under the assumption that the "down time" calories are part of my daily normal activity calories, which seems to work for me. I think you can count however you wish just as long as you are consistent in how you do it. In the end, if you aren't getting to where you want to be, you have lots of options to try (changing how much of your exercise calories you eat, adjusting overall nutrition, more/less exercise, etc). We're all so different that we each of us has to find what work for us. It's a constant education!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of stopping and resetting between workouts...I count calories burned between are part of my usual daily activities also....