Going Out to Eat

I'm a college student and I am home for the Summer. I was wondering if any of you had any advice to survive going out to dinner on the weekends? My family goes out at least twice a week to various restaurants. NY lists calories of meals and a lot of the time they are 1000+ calories! I'm good on the weekdays with calorie counting and such but its when I go out to dinner that I tend to go way over calories.

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Order off of the appetizer menu or ask for a takeout container and put half of your meal in it before you start eating and take it home for lunch the next day.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    @shadowfax_c11 Hmm, that's a good idea!
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Try and get your macros right for the meal if you can! Don't starve yourself of the good stuff before you go out in the evening to save on calories or whatever just have your normal good food during day so your body is fuelled for most of day an then take your cheat meal on the chin and work hard in the gym afterwards!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Tell them you want to pick the restaurant sometimes.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Eat a light breakfast and lunch on the days you know you will be going out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Avoid fried and sauteed food and sauces (or ask on the side). That will cut down most of your meal's calories by half.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    If you know where you're going in advance, check out the restaurant's website before you leave home. That way you can decide what to order and plan your calories. If you've already made up your mind before you get there, you won't have as much trouble with temptation. Also, if you know what you're eating at dinner, it's easier to plan the rest of the day.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    @shadowfax_c11 I LOVE this idea! :)
  • CaseySteenport
    CaseySteenport Posts: 41 Member
    Yeah a lot of places you can find the calories for either on their website or others. Really helps me with choosing in advance what to get.
  • marymccoy1969
    marymccoy1969 Posts: 1 Member
    Split the appetizer/dessert with someone else. You can also split the meal, but that's awkward for some people unless it's an establishment where people may not always eat a meal like at a bar or pub. Eat as early as possible (lunch or an early dinner) so you have time to do some exercises later that evening to work off some of the calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Order off of the appetizer menu or ask for a takeout container and put half of your meal in it before you start eating and take it home for lunch the next day.

I like this concept. I think it is important to make sure you get the takeout container before you eat. Back in November, I ate at a Mexican restaurant in Lufkin, Texas. Their plates were three or four times the size they should have been. I told myself that I would only eat a third of it. While sitting there with my friends still eating, I ate much more than I should have.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Make healthier substitutions: sauce on the side/no sauce, side orders of vegetables, etc.

Order from the kids' menu if possible.

Share an entree with someone.

Go grocery shopping and cook your own meal with/for your family.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I save me a good 2,500 for tacos, burgers, beer, etc-on Saturday. Only have to shave off 100 calories every other day. But even with 2,500 calories, I have to be mindful. So easy to eat 4,000.