Resistance Training Until I Can Lift?

Options
My husband is trying to get me into weight training/strength training but I am very weak.
I enjoy working out w/ him and would love to be able to participate better than I currently am, but until I am stronger I was thinking of resistance band training. I do cardio but I've read enough to know that I need some sort of strength training in order to tone my body. Is resistance band training a good go between until I am stronger?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, as well as bodyweight-only exercises and super light weights. You'll know the day after you try it :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    resistance training is fine for what it is. But i think you should just pick up some appropriate size weights and jump right in. You are stronger than you think you are.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have tried weight training w/ my husband already... it didn't go very well...
    I am very weak! LOL!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    why not start with light weights and strengthen slowly. Very important for women, especially as we get older.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    The weights I can lift are too light and the next ones up are too heavy. I can lift them for a little while but not as long as I'm supposed to rep wise. I may be able to get in one and a half sets of reps and then I'm done!
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Just lift the weights. Focus on your form while you're gaining strength.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I just felt like a failure because I could only do so much, which wasn't much at all...
    Here's another question then.
    Since we cannot get to the gym that often, would resistance training help me at all during the in-between time or is resistance training just a waste of time?
  • ajmiller1987
    ajmiller1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can lift them for a little while but not as long as I'm supposed to rep wise. I may be able to get in one and a half sets of reps and then I'm done!
    That's how you get stronger. You don't move up to squatting 200 lbs. by just squatting 100 lbs 10 times for 3 sets over and over again.

Also, if you're trying to build muscle, you probably need to eat more. Gaining strength while losing weight is a losing battle, with certain exceptions where you start too light and are actually able to lift much more.

Not sure what your goals are so hard to give you terribly specific advice.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's how I began and then moved on to a progressive, heavy lifting program. I realize that some people may be able to jump right in to heavy lifting, but I truly felt that - for me, I needed a better fitness level and foundation before starting heavy lifting. Resistance training definitely did that.

FWIW, I did resistance training for about 9 months before I started lifting heavy.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Resistance training with bands will be helpful during the times you can't get the gym. Also look into body weight exercises. You can start doing push ups against the wall and slowly work down using surfaces of varying heights (like tables). You can start doing squats and lunges without bands or weights. Add weight or use the bands as you get stronger. There are some really good progressive body weight programs out there.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I just felt like a failure because I could only do so much, which wasn't much at all...
    Since we cannot get to the gym that often, would resistance training help me at all during the in-between time or is resistance training just a waste of time?

resistance band training has its purposes. it all depends on what your goals are. bands can be used for a zillion things. It sounds like you wanna use them , look up some exercises and play with them. i use them to stretch almost every day, and for my warm ups and tons of other things.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @ajmiller1987 - thank you, that example makes sense.
    I would love more advice if you are willing...
    I have weights at home: 8 lbs and 15 lbs. The 8 pounds are heavy for me but I can do a few reps w/ them. I find it easier if I do one arm at a time, but it's still difficult.
    (Did I mention I was weak, LOL!)

I'm using my home weights a reference because I can't remember what my husband had me lift at the gym, which had more choices.

I've lost 10.5 lbs and am looking to lose 5.5 more.
    Even w/ that weight loss I will still be flabby and I know this because in the past I've been skinnier than the goal weight I'm looking to achieve this time around and I still had flab in places while other places looked sickly thin -
    Flab = stomach, butt, thighs Sickly = arms, back, collar area
    I am bottom heavy.
    And I don't mind that necessarily because I happened to be married to a man who loves thick legs and curvy behinds (he's a butt-man, LOL!)

So my goal is to burn more fat w/out losing too much more weight and to tone up.
    Does this info help?
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Nah, that's just being a beginner, and everyone begins.

But if you can't get to the gym regularly, I don't know how well you'll progress with lifting. Bodyweight exercises are a decent alternative but not a substitute -- they can't adequately sub in for a lifting day. It would be WAY better than not at all, it isn't a waste of time -- I just mean, you may not find yourself progressing with heavy weights if you aren't lifting them a few times a week.

Do you have a beginner program to follow, or is your husband giving you instructions? Because a solid beginner program might be best, not to underestimate your husband or anything.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    @futuremanda - I have weights at home 8lbs and 15lbs, I can barely lift the 8 for very long though! So I guess I can try something w/ those in between our gym times...because you're correct if I don't go consistently I will never get better! Duh me! LOL! My husband is giving me instructions, and I love him dearly and do enjoy working out w/ him, but I think sometimes he thinks I should be doing more than I am able to, so I totally get what you're saying!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    First, stop saying you're weak. And anyway, when I add weight I don't think "I'm supposed to do this many reps", I try-and if I don't get as many as I'd like, it is what it is. Maybe I'll add an extra set with the same amount or as many reps as I can. It's part of getting stronger.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Okay... I am not weak! :)
    @arditarose
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, that's how I began and then moved on to a progressive, heavy lifting program. I realize that some people may be able to jump right in to heavy lifting, but I truly felt that - for me, I needed a better fitness level and foundation before starting heavy lifting. Resistance training definitely did that.

FWIW, I did resistance training for about 9 months before I started lifting heavy.

I just saw this...thank you for your input @VanderTuig1976 !
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Resistance training with bands will be helpful during the times you can't get the gym. Also look into body weight exercises. You can start doing push ups against the wall and slowly work down using surfaces of varying heights (like tables). You can start doing squats and lunges without bands or weights. Add weight or use the bands as you get stronger. There are some really good progressive body weight programs out there.

Thank you for your input @TheGaudyMagpie, much appreciated !
  • ajmiller1987
    ajmiller1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @ajmiller1987 - thank you, that example makes sense.
    I would love more advice if you are willing...
    I have weights at home: 8 lbs and 15 lbs. The 8 pounds are heavy for me but I can do a few reps w/ them. I find it easier if I do one arm at a time, but it's still difficult.
    (Did I mention I was weak, LOL!)

I'm using my home weights a reference because I can't remember what my husband had me lift at the gym, which had more choices.

I've lost 10.5 lbs and am looking to lose 5.5 more.
    Even w/ that weight loss I will still be flabby and I know this because in the past I've been skinnier than the goal weight I'm looking to achieve this time around and I still had flab in places while other places looked sickly thin -
    Flab = stomach, butt, thighs Sickly = arms, back, collar area
    I am bottom heavy.
    And I don't mind that necessarily because I happened to be married to a man who loves thick legs and curvy behinds (he's a butt-man, LOL!)

So my goal is to burn more fat w/out losing too much more weight and to tone up.
    Does this info help?
    Since you still want to lose more weight, I would not worry too much about getting stronger right now but try to maintain as much strength and muscle mass as you can. When you get to/closer to your goal weight, then consider how you are going to put on muscle and increase strength.

As I said, you will probably need to eat more which may result in some weight gain. But, if you're on a good lifting routine then you shouldn't worry about a mild increase in weight and you should pay attention to whether or not you are getting strong and adding actual muscle.

To come back around to your original question: I prefer using weights for my resistance training, but that's not to say that you can't accomplish your goals using machines, resistance bands, or even just bodyweight exercises.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can try (I saw this in a women's fitness mag); is try to lift the next weight up (i.e. 8 vs 5, or 10 vs 8, etc.) if only for two or three reps. Keep this up and you will eventually be able to lift the heaver weight. I lift as heavy as I can, but there are still some exercise where I still have to use the lighter weights.