Whats my height to calculate my BMI?

Options
Ok so now you all think I'm dumb or stupid from the title. But hey here goes

I have had a few spinal surgeries this has impacted my height, so now I'm approximately 2-2.5 inches shorter than I started out.

So would you calculate your BMI on your original height or your new height?

I know which why I'm doing it but I'm interested in what everyone else thinks

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I would say your present height.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I smacked my forehead when I read the title and thought "MEASURE YOURSELF"

But this is kinda interesting given the circumstances, and honestly - I'm not sure. 2 inches shouldnt change BMI *too much*, since it's more of a range than an exact number. I'd say pick a weight that's in the healthy range for both heights as a temporary goal until youre close to it and then re-evaluate?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd calculate it on your previous height, as all your other statistics - except your spine - will be in proportion to that.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I asked my pt the same thing, I didn't have surgery but scoliosis and an accident has taken 1 1/2 inches from me. He told me split the difference I was 5 '8 1/2 now I'm 5'7 .
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd calculate it on your previous height, as all your other statistics - except your spine - will be in proportion to that.

This was the one I usually go for with exactly the same theory behind my reasoning.

I hadn't though of splitting the difference that's an interesting idea.

Thanks everyone really helpful input.