Sugar. already over the limit

Options
Whats up with this sugar thing?.. I had hash browns, a orange and a apple for breakfast and I'm already one point over after breakfast.. And I know that number will be going up too. It says my daily goal is 37

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I always subtract (in my head) the sugars from fruit. They so don't count, IMO...
  • joegeiselman
    joegeiselman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cant see your log, but fruits are naturally high in sugar. If your goal is to limit sugar intake, try getting your carbs from fiber and starchy sources, like green veggies and whole grains rather than fruits. Try eating oats and egg whites for breakfast.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    This is pretty common. Honestly, I ignore the sugar from fruit, because the sugars are natural and the benefits are worth it. So as long as most of your sugar is from fruits, I would ignore it. :)
  • gotcardi
    gotcardi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest is having a protein with your meals. Hashbrowns, oranges and apples all break down into essentially carbs - sugars - which have no fuel to burn (protein). Pick 1 fruit in the morning rather than two and add a protein - it should help :)
  • jillerin457
    jillerin457 Posts: 70
    Options
    Sugar from fruit OR milk totally doesn't count as far as I'm concerned. (I actually think the current fad of "sugar is evilllll!!!!" is a little overblown, too, but that's a whole other topic.)
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks.. Yeah, I normally do eat protein with my breakfast (eggs or even meat) but I was babysitting and didn't have time to cook anything else.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar because a banana would do me in every day. Not all sugars are alike. Like everyone else is saying watch the added sugar and sugar in processed stuff. Fruits are just fine!
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing! I had raisin bran, skim milk, some toast with strawberry jam, and an orange... I have no idea how to go about cutting sugar. I'm sure that's the reason why my weight hasn't changed.
  • blackpearlgrl
    blackpearlgrl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Ok according to the Dr's tv show it's ok to have fruit because those sugars have good things for you like fiber. The other sugars found in unhealthy foods are the ones to watch out for. As long as you have the right portion size its ok.
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I agree with most of the rest, I always go over on sugar. I also agree that trying to get more protein and whole grains with breakfast might help with this and your overall health. I would choose one or two fruits to have all day, even though I know it can be hard. I think that a reasonable goal is to try to be aware of the sugar issue and bring it down if its too high, but usually the levels on here are way to low for me to stay under. Just stay within reason.
  • joegeiselman
    joegeiselman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    as others have mentioned, as long as you are staying away from processed foods with added sugar, dont worry about it. Look at your total carb intake instead of sugar intake. Balance your fiber, whole grains and natural sugar intake and you will be fine.