weightloss without completely cutting alcohol?

Options
Hey,
Just curious if it's harder to loose weight without cutting alcohol out completely? When I go out with my friends I typically drink vodka water or vodka tonic, instead of beer. I typically have 4-6 drinks a week.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You just have to account for it. Drinks at the bar usually have about 2 oz of liquor, plus whatever you mix it with. I usually save about 500 calories every week for drinks. If I end up not drinking-ice cream.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You just have to account for it. Drinks at the bar usually have about 2 oz of liquor, plus whatever you mix it with. I usually save about 500 calories every week for drinks. If I end up not drinking-ice cream.

cosign
  • laceylorene190
    laceylorene190 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay awesome! I always track it & make sure I stay under my calorie goal with alcohol included, I just heard it slows your metabolism.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine most nights and stay under calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Okay awesome! I always track it & make sure I stay under my calorie goal with alcohol included, I just heard it slows your metabolism.

you heard wrong :)
  • arditarose
    Options

Wait, are you the one who just posted about spicy things speeding up the metabolism?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have been cutting previous three months and have lost about 9 pounds and been drinking on weekends the whole time...
  • arditarose
    Options
    What threw me off for awhile was only logging 1 oz of liquor though. Drinks don't have 1 oz of liquor like ever. I was just being daft though.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What threw me off for awhile was only logging 1 oz of liquor though. Drinks don't have 1 oz of liquor like ever. I was just being daft though.

lol I might still be doing that ….but yea most bartender pour over an ounce….
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Wait, are you the one who just posted about spicy things speeding up the metabolism?

Was just about to ask the same. I think so. OP seriously.... Things don't speed up or slow down your metabolism. Wherever you are getting this from, stop reading it or listening to it. Set a reasonable calorie deficit, eat the foods (and drink the drinks) that you enjoy within your calorie budget. Exercise if you like, eat back about half those calories. Log everything. You will lose weight. That's all there is to it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Was just about to ask the same. I think so. OP seriously.... Things don't speed up or slow down your metabolism. Wherever you are getting this from, stop reading it or listening to it. Set a reasonable calorie deficit, eat the foods (and drink the drinks) that you enjoy within your calorie budget. Exercise if you like, eat back about half those calories. Log everything. You will lose weight. That's all there is to it.

Right.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have wine most every night with dinner and cocktails on weekends. Just log it and account for it. Everything in moderation and one has to have fun!
  • arditarose
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It is so tempting but yeah, rarely the case. I've been getting some big pours lately too. It doesn't help that I drink whiskey on the rocks so a drink doesn't last that long either.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It is so tempting but yeah, rarely the case. I've been getting some big pours lately too. It doesn't help that I drink whiskey on the rocks so a drink doesn't last that long either.

yea, I have that problem too …vodka water goes down like a champ sometimes…..or beers on the beach are like water too ..
  • laceylorene190
    laceylorene190 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks guys! & yeah, I was. Lol I really do need to stop listening to my friend...I think we all have that one friend, who constantly gives thier opinions
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There's a belief that the body stops everything and tries to metabolize the alcohol first because it's a poison, but it's a fairly nonsensical concept.

Alcohol is very high in calories on its own, and when you have certain mixed drinks that use juices or sugar syrups the calories can pile on very quickly. Some bars don't have good pour control too, so your calorie estimate for a given drink could be way off.
  • arditarose
    Options

That's true. I usually have mixed drinks at home and beer when I'm out. If I do have one while I'm out, I accept the extra OR I have been known to have a discussion with the bartender to give me an HONEST shot. I usually try to tip more if they do. I'm not a young buck anymore and I want my drinks to be tasty and not just pure whiskey with a splash of Coke. I'm kind of a pick *kitten* that way. :#

Drinks are so expensive where I live. No way I'm going to ask for less than they're willing to pour!