How to stop eating/not eat when you are full/shouldn't eat anymore.

Options
13»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've heard to allow yourself 20 minutes for the satiety signal to get to the brain from the stomach.

And I've heard from somewhere a long time ago to wait 30 minutes. :) Same sort of thing.

Whatever it was that I read those many years ago also suggested that during those 30 min, we get up from the table, do the dishes, tidy up the house, maybe brush our teeth and start in on an evening activity.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love all of these tips! My advice is to exercise, getting cardio every day just seems to end bad food cravings for me, and buy some healthy food that you're not particularly fond of (say raw radishes or unsalted pistachios) and then when a craving hits say to yourself "well if this was real, true hunger, then I would eat the freakin radishes now wouldn't I?"

Ya, Mom used to say, "If you're not hungry enough for an apple, you're not hungry."

Yep ... my mom used to say that too. :smiley:

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When something is SO good, I try not to eat it all so I can have some more the next day. Spread the joy, so to speak.

Overeating is such a hard habit to break. It'll probably take a long time, but that's okay.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    So drugs forever?

Well, there is currently no drug available that you can take forever, so no.

But it remains to be seen who is right.

One camp says that when you get to maintenance you won't be hungry anymore since you have learned all your great eating habits over the months and years it took you to get there.

Another camp says that your body is still going to detect the lowered Leptin levels and will still be pushing to restore body fat levels to their previous high level by reducing metabolism and increasing hunger.

I'm in the second camp so my guess is I'll get off the drugs and eventually the willpower will break down and the weight will come back.

My hope is I can keep it off long enough for a permanent, safe medical solution to come along.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    One camp says that when you get to maintenance you won't be hungry anymore since you have learned all your great eating habits over the months and years it took you to get there.

Another camp says that your body is still going to detect the lowered Leptin levels and will still be pushing to restore body fat levels to their previous high level by reducing metabolism and increasing hunger.

Pretty sure the first camp is full of crap and the second camp is correct. Just google the Minnesota starvation study.

There's plenty of condescension in this thread.

OP, getting to or maintaining a healthy weight DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE STARVING. You don't need superhuman willpower. You should plan ahead like others have suggested, but you should also be eating foods that are filling and contain healthy fats, protein, and fiber. Meals should preferably contain a combo of these things. A cupcake doesn't fill anyone up, but a salad with lots of veggies, a bit of protein and avocado will. Low calorie volume foods with fiber + healthy fat + protein.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    OP, getting to or maintaining a healthy weight DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE STARVING. You don't need superhuman willpower.

This has never been the case for me. If I'm losing weight, I'm hungry. I think this is an artifact of lowered fat levels, not what you are eating, though eating fats and proteins can help with hunger to a limited extent. Can't match drugs though.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    OP, getting to or maintaining a healthy weight DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO FEEL LIKE YOU'RE STARVING. You don't need superhuman willpower.

This has never been the case for me. If I'm losing weight, I'm hungry. I think this is an artifact of lowered fat levels, not what you are eating, though eating fats and proteins can help with hunger to a limited extent. Can't match drugs though.
    Sure, you can be a bit hungry from time to time, but you shouldn't be ravenous.

• harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    learn to embrace hunger. Honestly, being hungry isnt bad. It is OK to have feeling of hunger.. you dont need to feel full all the time, however obviously dont let yourself get to starving. Drink lots of water. Drink like a gallon a day.. helps with hunger a lot.

The thing that helped me the most was whenever I was hungry drink a glass or two of water. If after 10 minutes still hungry, then go ahead and eat something. Thirst often disguises itself as hunger.

And lastly, if you find you cant stop yourself from eating snacks even if you not hungry... get rid of the snacks. I stopped buying things like nuts just because even with all the self-control I learned, I lose all of it around nuts.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Drink water.

Drink tea.

Chew gum/ice.

Plan ahead.

Go out for a walk, if possible.

Have small snacks throughout the day, preferably fruit/vegetables/something fibrous.

Don't make anything completely off limits if you don't have to.

Making foods taboo sometimes creates a stronger attraction.

If you legitimately can't stop eating and you're physically full, seek professional treatment.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me this is always about carbs. I could eat two cartons of Ice Cream easily. I could eat a large package of vanilla oreos and want more when I was done. But since I've been eating butter and meat and coconut oil and pork rinds and chicken livers etc, even though they taste good to me (some more than others) that taste comes with satisfaction and a feeling of fullness. So I am now able to easily stay within a calorie limit that I didn't have the willpower to sustain before.

I don't know it is works that way for everyone. But that's how I did it. Once I became used to eating mainly fat and moderate protein, I tended to feel bad (mildly ill) when I did eat cake or ice cream, etc. So that reinforced my desire to avoid it.

So I guess my answer is that you don't get more willpower. Instead you find an eating strategy that both works and that you want to follow. You're not fighting yourself.
  • gerbillama03
    gerbillama03 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do cook something so delicious I want more, but I also really try to only cook enough for one meal, tops. So whenever I want more, I'd have to cook more.

If I'm still hungry, I go for some spinach and vinegar (yum!) or carrot sticks.