Why drink 8 cups of water to lose weight?

Options
Can somebody explain why drink lots of water is necessary to lose weight. What about that magic number: 8 cups, does anybody know how they come up with that number?

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have written two posts on this very subject on my blog. Please read and enjoy!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-be-clear-or-at-least-light-yellow.html

and

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/p/fitness-by-numbers.html

The magic number 8 was discredited a few months ago. It stemmed from a study from the 50s, I believe (I could be wrong on the decade!).

Thanks!
  • emae13
    emae13 Posts: 6
    Options
    it has several benefits:
    - flushes out bad stuff in your body. you can flush out sodium by sweating.
    - better for your kidney. you need your water when you digest.
    - drinking Cold water actually uses more calories because your body try to match up with the water temperature
    - keeps you hydrated
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you need to drink more than 8 glasses, actually. It's half of your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 150 you should be drinking 75 ounces, and so on. But water has so many great benefits! If you don't believe it, just try drinking your 8+ glasses for one week and see the difference in the way that you feel, and the way that your skin looks.
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It keeps you hydrated, and it also makes you feel good.
  • mikesmaniacmind
    Options
    The main reason water helps with losing weight is because the more water you drink the less hungry you feel, therefore the less you eat.

If you drink a full glass of water at a meal you will not eat as much as the water give you that full feeling. The good thing about it is the water contains no carbs, fat, sodium, calories and etc. So you are getting full on essentially nothing. Also yes it is good for your kidneys, for flushing out your system and so on.

The more water you drink the less you eat and that equals less weight for you.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    - drinking Cold water actually uses more calories because your body try to match up with the water temperature

I agree with the 8 cups a day thing is an old study they've backed away from. I also read in the same article that this quote above isn't true. Not sure who to believe, just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention. I think the overall benefit to water is flushing your cells & keeping you hydrated. Dehydration causes a lot of problems in the cardiovascular & neurological systems; it affects your skin, vital organs, eyes...every part of your body. Water is one of the most important things necessary for survival. How much you drink depends upon level of activity, air temperature & your own body. Drink enough that you don't feel thirsty and know that sometimes when you think you are hungry, your body is really requesting water.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think you are supposed to drink one ounce for every two pounds of body weight. So...if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 100 ounces of water. So, according to this you may need to drink even more than the 8 8 oz. glasses. Here is a web page that talks about the benefits of water.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-water-drinking.htm#b
  • strato999
    strato999 Posts: 9
    Options
    I dont know...but Im going to try it...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    The body is one big compensatory machine.
    It is constantly trying to maintain homeostasis to keep itself in balance.
    So, if it is dehydrated, it will hold onto water.
    Therefore, the more you drink, the more it will "feel free" to excrete the extra fliuds.
    The exceptions to this are chronic diseases like congestive heart failure, kindey failure etc...
  • lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    sometimes when i drink a lot of water it makes me even more thirsty. What up with that?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    sometimes when i drink a lot of water it makes me even more thirsty. What up with that?

Diabetes?
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Are you craving more water when you drink a lot? i know when I crave lots of water it's because it's really humid , hot, or I've had lots of sodium that day. It can be diabetes, but I would not jump to that conclusion unless you have family history of diabetes or you eat lots of sugar and fattening food.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I am the same way. It is like the more I drink, the more I crave. By the way, I am definitely NOT diabetic.
  • lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    way to scare the %#*@ out of me! Its more like my mouth gets dryer anyways. I would assume because im constantly flushing the saliva out.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    way to scare the %#*@ out of me! Its more like my mouth gets dryer anyways. I would assume because im constantly flushing the saliva out.

Sorry.
    No, drinking more should produce more saliva not less.
    I agree somewhat with the spicy/salty food theory.
    I could post links about dry mouth but you can look them up yourself if you're really curious.:smile:
  • brodger15
    brodger15 Posts: 1
    Options
    What helps me drink the water is that I put Crystal Light into my water bottle. Its low calories and no sugar. They sell the individual packets. Sometimes the flavors are a bit strong but I just cut it with more water/less mix.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]7637668.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information. Be hydrate is very important, not just for people losing weight. What scares me is that steep stone of 8 cups of water per day. It think it varies a lot from individual to individual.
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You may need more salt in your diet. The water can dehydrate cells, in order to maintain the a osmotic balance cells have to lose salt to equilibrate with the extracellular ambiance, other option is import water. Both exchange happen simultaneously and the end net can be a dehydrate cell.
  • emae13
    emae13 Posts: 6
    Options

I agree with the 8 cups a day thing is an old study they've backed away from. I also read in the same article that this quote above isn't true. Not sure who to believe, just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention. I think the overall benefit to water is flushing your cells & keeping you hydrated. Dehydration causes a lot of problems in the cardiovascular & neurological systems; it affects your skin, vital organs, eyes...every part of your body. Water is one of the most important things necessary for survival. How much you drink depends upon level of activity, air temperature & your own body. Drink enough that you don't feel thirsty and know that sometimes when you think you are hungry, your body is really requesting water.

My source for this information. I say it's valid:

For a higher metabolism Throughout the day (8 ounces each time) A German study found that drinking 50 ounces of cold water can help you burn up to an extra 50 calories per day--that's 5 pounds per year--without exercising. Experts think the metabolism boost is due to the extra effort needed to raise the water's temperature to 98.6°F.

from WATER: The best times to drink. By: McVeigh, Gloria, Prevention, 00328006, May2007, Vol. 59, Issue 5

In a study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, scientists reported that drinking just over two cups (not glasses) of cold water on an empty stomach boosted metabolism by 30%, an effect that peaked 30-40 minutes after consumption and lasted more than an hour. That may not sound so impressive until you consider that, if you drank half a liter (about two cups) of cold water before breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for a year, you'd burn (according to the researchers' estimate) 17,400 extra calories, which translates into a little more than five pounds of fat. Just by drinking cold water.

from WATERED DOWN. By: Brown, Jordana, Flex, 87508915, May2007, Vol. 25, Issue 3
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Me too...I've never stopped to think about it before though, I just drink more water.