Most women have PCOS and don't even know it!

Options
Hello Everyone!

Feeling lethargic, weak, unmotivated and weight gain, I decided to go and get my thyroid checked.

My thyroid came back normal but blood results did show I was 8% iron when norm is 20%-40%. As a result my cells not having much iron affected proper insulin distribution. Insulin resistance resulted in weight gain and all my concerned symptoms.

With that said... I recommend women request to get theses things checked. I was told I had PCOS.

Yesterday being my first day back, I begin taking Metformin (commonly used for Type 2 Diabetes) RX

So here I am! Today is day 2!

Learn more about this http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.html#j

Replies

• prplepeep
    prplepeep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It took 15 years for a doc to recognize mine- high testosterone being the major indicator aside from being pretty much text book for it otherwise. I'm surprised how many doctors over looked it over the years. She prescribed METformin for me as well. It's been a week! B)
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    MOST women??? :|

Really?

Most?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So because you had PCOS and didn't know it, that means "most" women, ie greater than 50%, must have it?

I'm glad you have a diagnosis and a treatment plan but making sweeping generalizations like "most women have PCOS and don't know it" is a bit rash...
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,779 MFP Moderator
    Options
    From the OP's link:
    How many women have PCOS?

Between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 women of childbearing age has PCOS. As many as 5 million women in the United States may be affected.

So yeah, hardly "most" women. OP, maybe you meant to say something else? Like "most women with PCOS wish they didn't have it." ;)