tell me its alright

Options
Hi

Well i am over weight currently 20 stone started eating right and going to the gym 3 weeks ago, eat around 900-1200 cals a day small % of fat, gym 3 times a week hard cardio (pouring of sweat) doing a mixture of weights too went for my weight in today and i have gained 8lbs and 3% body fat muclse mass hadnt changed at all.

What am i doing wrong, eating too little ? could it be a medical condition ?

i feel so depressed today from this feeling like its not worth it :(

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That calorie count seem very low. You'll probably lose more and feel better if you add more healthy calories.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to eat more.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No one person is the same but if you are only eating 900-1200 cal a day I'd say to little some days. Average person needs 1200 cal a day to function basically.. so if you eat 1200 cal and work out and burn off 300 you are only eating 900 cal. a day and that's not enough. MFP wants you to eat back your calories you burn. If you are eating to little then you won't lose the way you want. I found that out before. I noticed with me I have to yo yo my calories each day. Some days I go over and some days under a little but I always eat at least 1300-1400 calories a day. Hope this helps alittle!
    Good luck1
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    You should never eat below 1250 a day. You're body will go into starvation mode, and you will actually lose muscle.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You need more calories. Are you eating back your exercise calories? I know it sounds crazy but if you don't then you will put on weight as you're not getting enough calories.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i don't think you're eating enough calories. I know that sounds contradictory but that's what I've learned. Especially if you're working out. You want to eat the amount of calories that MFP tells you to. Good luck :smile:
  • joanmyles
    joanmyles Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi there sorry for you disappointment after working so hard. Looking at your weight and what you are consuming calorie wise 900-1200 per day does seem very low. Perhaps you need to increase your intake slightly. It still doesn't explain the weight gain what did they say at the place you got weighed?
  • sara128
    sara128 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm no expert but I would say that you need to be eating a lot more calories especially on the days that you are only consuming 900. I don't believe in eating back the calories you burn during exercise but your body will need a certain amount of calories to function. I would suggest talking to your doctor and getting their recommendations they could also check if there are any medical reasons why you haven't lost any weight!

the main point is that you haven't given up, well done for keeping going it will all be worth it in the end xx
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree with everyone here...you need to eat more.

However, you brought up an important point...a medical condition. Everyone who plans to engage in weight-loss plan needs to consult their physician in advance. This helps helps ensure that if there ARE underlying health issues that contribute to your weight, that they are addressed, and an appropriate diet and excercise plan established that are ideal for your personal situation.

Keep your chin up! :)
  • spongebob2509
    spongebob2509 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i have not being eating back my exercise cals as it seemed contradictory, i will try to up my cal count but i seem to have enough energy on the level i am.

my trainer was stumped too he had no idea why i could gain so much in 2 weeks i didnt even gain that much when i lived on junk food lol. what scares me the most is the % body fat increase, could going into starvation mode due to the low cals really make me put on so mcuh weight

thank you all for the fast replies feeling a little better, :)
  • daffysbird
    daffysbird Posts: 42
    Options
    By the sounds of things we are definitely eating too few a calories. I started this journey at 22 stone (roughly - can't remember what exactly!) and stuck to the guideline amount of calories and found that i started to lose the weight. Also, drink 8 glasses of plain water a day helped me from feeling hungry. I've reached a bit of a plateau now and am a bit depressed about it but i have managed to lose 30lb so far. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • spongebob2509
    Options
    what is the best thing to eat to make up the missing cals and when should i eat i am trying not to eat after 7pm and spread my 3 meals out most days would be

Porrige 65g
    salad sandwich brown bread
    grilled/steam fish or chicken with pasta or rice

3-4 large glasses of water a day
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start a new exercise regime I put on weight. When you start to work your muscles, they hold on to water in order to protect and repair themselves.

You also aren't eating enough calories so your body is holding on to the fat reserves for dear life!

You need to eat more and give the new exercise routine some time - up to 5 weeks. You should actually feel that your muscles are 'bloated'?

Take rest days, eat nutritious food and your body will let go :bigsmile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    what is the best thing to eat to make up the missing cals and when should i eat i am trying not to eat after 7pm and spread my 3 meals out most days would be

Porrige 65g

Try and eat protein with each meal. This will also help in repairing your muscles :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Porrige 65g

Maybe dd a couple of healthy protien snacks between meal - a handful of nuts or trail mix, slice of whole grain bread with nut butter, glass of milk (regular, soy, almond, etc.), granola bar, piece of fruit or veggie sticks wi cheese, etc.
  • spongebob2509
    Options
    well im upto 700 cals today and have been to get some rasins bananas and some low fat houmus dip with carrot stick so hoping to get around 1100 cals today but MFP is suggesting 2700 today since i did a workout this morning i really cant see me ever hitting that amount eating healthy food

should i be aiming for around 1500 cals a day and a little more on the workout days do you think that would be a sensible amount?

sorry for all the questions just never been in this situation before and i do thank you all for your advice :)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    well im upto 700 cals today and have been to get some rasins bananas and some low fat houmus dip with carrot stick so hoping to get around 1100 cals today but MFP is suggesting 2700 today since i did a workout this morning i really cant see me ever hitting that amount eating healthy food

should i be aiming for around 1500 cals a day and a little more on the workout days do you think that would be a sensible amount?

sorry for all the questions just never been in this situation before and i do thank you all for your advice :)

Honestly, I think the calories seem a little high too. I usually come in under or right on the calories that MFP suggests for me, but it's really only because I have 2 or 3 glasses of wine with dinner. I eat when I'm hungry and I make sure it includes protein (I'm almost always over on protein) and healthy fats as well as veggies. If I had to eat my wine calories I don't think I could do it without feeling stuffed. But I'm not complaining. I've been losing and having my wine, so I'm good with the recommendations. :drinker:
  • spongebob2509
    Options
    just had another weight in as i wasnt happy with the results and turns out i have actually lost 7lb in 2 weeks which makes more sense judging on clothes fit etc, trainer said it may have been a problem with the scales, however he did agree with everyone here that my cals are too low and i am more likely to hit a standstill with my weight this way,

so will be taking all your wonderful advice and upping cals but it seems i could be heading in the right direction after all

(and it was the same time of day so its either a 15lb loss in 24 hours or there was a problem with the scales lol)