other protein powders besides whey

Options
I have read that whey is not that great. Has anyone had good results with other types of powders? I am not a big lifter, just trying to supplement my diet while training for long distance running.

Replies

• kutedaisy
    kutedaisy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've heard of pea protein powder.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I use soy protein mostly. I have tried pea, hemp, and rice protein but they all have a gritty texture I really don't like.
  • devinm5alpina
    devinm5alpina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get ur protein from foods .the powders are all trash
  • stinkeye111
    stinkeye111 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert on the subject--but I use Ka'Chava. I emailed their customer service department asking if they could send me a sample packet. They didn't have any samples but they offered me a discount on a 15 serving container and a money back guarantee. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I ordered the chocolate flavor---and I'm glad I did. I like it because it is vegan and it tastes pretty good, too --- not gritty at all!
  • KenSD
    KenSD Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    yav5y8bvwn3p.jpg
    just a half cup of this to half cup of water makes bout 2-3 pancakes....AND its 14 gr of protein....sold at Super Target and on Amazon
  • iteese
    iteese Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like @asflatasapancake said, what do you specifically mean by "not that great"?
    I'd generally say whey protein is easy to digest, easy to mix, has a good amount of protein, is convenient, is low fat and low carb and can be very tasty if you opt for a flavoured option.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Best thing is real food OP. Chicken, beef, fish, etc.

Protein is protein as far as powders go, they are simply a convenience thing. I would watch out for the companies that got busted spiking their powders with cheap filler, but other than that no difference really.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Vega
  • fourester
    fourester Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not that good for you is what I meant. The taste has improved greatly since I used to take it in high school 30+ years ago. I am diabetic, so I have to watch the carbs. Just looking for an alternative that has worked for folks.
  • jay7720
    jay7720 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why do you think whey is unhealthy?
  • restless_monk
    restless_monk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    tried pea protein and nearly choked :) tastes so bad for me :) like mushy peas only worse and liquid and wrong :) tried egg protein, nearly choked too :) the latter may have been off. Whey protein lasts wheeeey longer :) Whey is probably the best tasting, and most people digest it better than soy, apparently. It digests fast tho, if you want slow release, try casein protein.

As mentioned before, real unprocessed foods are best if you can eat that much :) the problem is that real food protein comes with all the other stuff like fat, cholesterol, etc. Hope my 2p was useful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fourester wrote: »
    Not that good for you is what I meant. The taste has improved greatly since I used to take it in high school 30+ years ago. I am diabetic, so I have to watch the carbs. Just looking for an alternative that has worked for folks.

In what way 'not that good for you'? It's just protein?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91mH3JmCBjL._SL1500_.jpg

I was never looking to gain but I have had good luck just in how I feel with Lifetime Life's Basic Plant Protein. It's made with pea, hemp, rice and chia seeds and has 18 or 19 amino acids, which are helpful in building muscle. 22 grams of protein per scoop and no artificial sweeteners.
  • JulieKreis
    JulieKreis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva hemp organic protein powder and just found it through Swansons vitamins online - 30 ounce container - $24.29 - 3 Tablespoons, 90 calories and 15 grams of protein. I add a tiny bit of stevia pure powder and it adds sweetness to my smoothies.
  • JulieKreis
    JulieKreis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I digest Nutiva hemp protein with no problem!! It is dark green so it makes your smoothies green.....but otherwise - I like it....especially because its organic also.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I used to like spirutein, but recently have been using mlo vegetable protein (no flavor). I've also tried mlo super protein, but it does have whey in it.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    fourester wrote: »
    I have read that whey is not that great. Has anyone had good results with other types of powders? I am not a big lifter, just trying to supplement my diet while training for long distance running.

lolwut

who told you this