between sets

Options
Noob question - what do people usually do the one or two minutes between muscle focused sets - just let your HR come down, vs I've seen people do ab work, vs work an opposing muscle immediately ?

(I do rest between compound exercises like squats or deadlifts...)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    what do people usually do the one or two minutes between muscle focused sets

People do all sorts of things. Personally i only stop working out if i need the rest, or if i'm setting up for the next exercise. I tend to cycle between muscle groups, so there's a rest built in to that.

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It depends what I am doing on any particular day. The 2 types of strength training I like are:

stronglifts where they recommend at least a minute between sets so you can lift as heavy as you can. During that rest time I'm just pacing and mobilising my shoulders and hips and psyching myself up for the next lift

The other type is what I think people call supersets where I just crank them out as quickly as possible with as little rest as possible. (I try and do 1 minute on 1 minute off or wait until my heart rate goes down to 120) Time between sets is used changing the weights and setting myself up for the next set

• icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tend to just keep mobile, walk around the area a bit, or get ready for the next set if I'm changing equipment. I find if I just stand or sit for my rest I find it harder to start the next set.

I find it interesting watching people between sets if I'm doing cardio or during my rest sometimes - I've seen people who dance around a bit between sets which always makes me smile.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to stick to rigid resting periods really. Just listen to your body. If you feel ready for another set do it!
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I'm strapped for time, I'll go opposite muscles and circuit quickly. On days that involve heavy bench or leg work, I take a minute or two and move around while my HR comes down.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I rest for 60-90 secs between sets and as I started getting a bit bored watching the clock, decided to do 20 standing ab crunchies off each leg then 20 star jumps then 20 further ab crunchies. Fills the space nicely, keeps my heart rate up and, if Im doing squats, stretches my glutes a bit so DOMS is lessened :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Bit of mobility work.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Most people I see just sit on the bench and text their friends.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'll text a friend or talk with my coach or a teammate, spot someone.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I do the strong lifts and the app has a timer for resting between sets. I tend to log into mfp and log my exercise or preplan my meals for the day. When in done with that I'll do some stretching between sets or grab weights to set up my next lift.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I usually stretch or dance, depending on what music the gym is playing that day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I stretch or set up for the next exercise half the time and the other half of the time I read a book.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I change weights, text/snapchat with people, zone out/look around, get a drink or do a few pull-ups/stretches
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your body recuperate I usually rest 35 to 45 sec then back on action .
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I superset and circuit most of my lifts to utilise that time. If I'm feeling worn out on a major lift, I just stretch or pace and get ready for the added weight.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I usually stroll out of the room into the larger fitness area for a drink of water. I keep the water there in order to force myself to take a stroll between sets.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lie down gasping for breath, typically.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    give people the stink eye
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Facebook and reddit :)
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It depends what I am doing on any particular day. The 2 types of strength training I like are:

stronglifts where they recommend at least a minute between sets so you can lift as heavy as you can. During that rest time I'm just pacing and mobilising my shoulders and hips and psyching myself up for the next lift

The other type is what I think people call supersets where I just crank them out as quickly as possible with as little rest as possible. (I try and do 1 minute on 1 minute off or wait until my heart rate goes down to 120) Time between sets is used changing the weights and setting myself up for the next set

Your second seem more like a drop set than a super set.