hello

Options
My name is Gayle. I live in Washington State. I am 52, have diabetes 2 and am on a quest to loose 56 lbs. I have tried many diets and have failed throughout my life. This last year has been a tramatic and challenging year. The most basic lesson to come out of the year is that I am responsible for only my actions. I cannot control others and their actions. Therefore I need to control of my health, weight and mental health. I have a strong drive- I worked full time and went to school at night and earned my teaching cert. 2 years ago so I have no reason not to apply that drive and willpower to losing this weight. I am looking forward to getting the support of ya'll and supporting and encouraging you in your quest.

Replies

• Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My name is Gayle. I live in Washington State. I am 52, have diabetes 2 and am on a quest to loose 56 lbs. I have tried many diets and have failed throughout my life. This last year has been a tramatic and challenging year. The most basic lesson to come out of the year is that I am responsible for only my actions. I cannot control others and their actions. Therefore I need to control of my health, weight and mental health. I have a strong drive- I worked full time and went to school at night and earned my teaching cert. 2 years ago so I have no reason not to apply that drive and willpower to losing this weight. I am looking forward to getting the support of ya'll and supporting and encouraging you in your quest.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Best of luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:

-Tami
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hey Gayle, welcome to MFP:flowerforyou: You'll do great here...lots of awesome tools to help along the way... as long as you steer of the 'diet' mentality you'll be just find. Healthier foods, excercise, getting your water in each day...that will lead you to success:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:

It has been enlightening and a lot of fun :smile:

I love to give tips and they are:
    1) Log it BEFORE you eat it, this can help you make wise choices :tongue:
    2) Weigh and/or measure everything, my eye was much larger than actual amounts :noway:

Wishing you much success and you CAN do it :drinker:
  • AnneL3264
    Options
    Hi, great attitude. You can do it! I will look forward to hearing of your progress. Fairly newbie, Anne
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Hi Gayle. I'm in education as well. I don't know about you, but nobody warned me that an occupational hazard of teaching is weight gain! It is so hard to be around kids and not hurt their feelings when they bring in treats, etc. Also, I am not sure what age you teach, but I work with the under 5 crowd and you are STRONGLY encouraged to eat with the children when they eat to demonstrate healthy eating habits (how ironic! :laugh: ) but that lead to me not only eating with the kids, but then also eating on my lunch break. Boy, with two lunches a day it doesn't take long to pack on the pounds! I wish you the best of luck and am glad you found the site. You'll love all of support you get here to assist you on your journey. Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • Booksarenice
    Booksarenice Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :heart: I teach 3rd grade (2nd year teacher). I know what you mean about kids bringing in treats. I very quickly realized that I had to get a handle on this however. I have trained the kiddos to show me whatever they bring so that I can oohh and aahh over it then they put it on my desk for later. My desk is in the back of the room and not really part of the classroom experience so its kind of out of sight out of mind for them. At the end of the day I either throw away whatever they have brought (ooh that hurts cause I wanna eat it!) or I put it in the prize box. I used to take it to the staff room for the other teachers but none of us need it. This seems to kelp me keep my intake down however I have been known in my stressful periods of the day to eat the chocolate till its gone. It doesn't help that my grade teanm consists of 3 other strong chocolatholics!