Raw-ish Breakfast and Lunch, Typical Dinner...Suggestions?

Options
WMDB24
WMDB24 Posts: 9 Member
I have known for years now that I'm lactose-intolerant (excessively so) and recently got told by my doctor that I have to be gluten/wheat/etc-free as well. As a typical individual from a Western society, I'm a bit at a loss as to what to eat...especially since I'm trying to cut back on sugars, too.

I got the idea to have a raw diet until dinner from a BBC nutrition special I watch but I have no idea where to start ("raw fruits and veg, duh", right?). The problem is that I don't want to have to worry about the nutrients I'm getting. I'm not sure which fruits and veg make up complete meals and will give me the best energy and nutrients. Does anyone have suggestions?

A caveat to this is I still would like to eat boiled eggs but limited to 2 per day.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

You can join one of the MFP Paleo groups. Here is one link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
    You can find them at the "Groups" option, at the dark blue banner above
    I hope it helps
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Raw food is a lot more than just eating raw fruit and vegetables. It is very hard to get all your nutrients as a raw vegan, and it's not necessarily healthy. But... If that's what you want to do, that's your choice!

Chia pudding with a raw protein powder mixed through is good for breakfast - you can add nuts/nut butter, fruit, use different "milks", stevia/honey/maple to sweeten, cacao, spices... Options are endless!

Are you actually vegetarian? Or vegan?...
  • WMDB24
    Options
    I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan. I plan on eating an omnivorous dinner 75% of the time. My goal is more to eat more fruits and veggies and eat a cleaner diet...truthfully, breakfast and lunch along with my snacks are my times to eat what I want to seeing as my partner is a complete carnivore and doesn't really want to change his own eating habits.
  • tootle4
    tootle4 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A raw diet seems unnecessarily restrictive.

How about just focus on making your meals gluten and lactose free first? There are plenty of gluten free products in the supermarket, and the Lactaid brand has a lot of options for milk, ice cream, etc.
    You can get some meal ideas from pinterest or gluten-free bloggers. One I know of: iowagirleats.com
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    OP, this isn't the Raw Til 4 thing is it?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    WMDB24 wrote: »
    I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan. I plan on eating an omnivorous dinner 75% of the time. My goal is more to eat more fruits and veggies and eat a cleaner diet...truthfully, breakfast and lunch along with my snacks are my times to eat what I want to seeing as my partner is a complete carnivore and doesn't really want to change his own eating habits.

Don't make things harder than they need to be! You can eat more fruits and vegies without being raw vegan. You'll likely find its easier to maintain good health by not restricting yourself so much.

I eat mountains of vegies and fruit a day, but don't come close to being vegetarian or vegan. I also manage to get at least 140g protein but meat isn't the main feature on my plate.

Breakfast could be omelette or frittata...have a big salad, cooked vegies or soup for lunch with protein incorporated, same for dinner. Just because your partner eats a plate of meat, doesn't mean you cant have a smaller portion with a plate otherwise filled with vegies.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating bread, you can still have potatoes, rice, quinoa. Rice Chex is gluten free and cheap. Eat it with almond or coconut milk.
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    my body just feels better when i have some raw food every day. so that can either be a salad or chopped veggies and low-everything dip (even olive oil and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar makes a good dip) or raw fruit.
    i rarely eat fruit that is not raw. raw chashews or almonds are a favorite, too.
  • WMDB24
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Not really, just easier because of my partner.
    WMDB24 wrote: »

Don't make things harder than they need to be! You can eat more fruits and vegies without being raw vegan. You'll likely find its easier to maintain good health by not restricting yourself so much.

I eat mountains of vegies and fruit a day, but don't come close to being vegetarian or vegan. I also manage to get at least 140g protein but meat isn't the main feature on my plate.

Breakfast could be omelette or frittata...have a big salad, cooked vegies or soup for lunch with protein incorporated, same for dinner. Just because your partner eats a plate of meat, doesn't mean you cant have a smaller portion with a plate otherwise filled with vegies.

Thanks for that. I just turned around one day and realized I don't eat hardly any veg that isn't cooked or laggard in something. Do you find it difficult to keep calories in check with your "mountain" of fruits and veg or do you find that the addition of them helps keep you "lean"?
    tootle4 wrote: »
    A raw diet seems unnecessarily restrictive.

How about just focus on making your meals gluten and lactose free first? There are plenty of gluten free products in the supermarket, and the Lactaid brand has a lot of options for milk, ice cream, etc.
    You can get some meal ideas from pinterest or gluten-free bloggers. One I know of: iowagirleats.com

I already don't eat anything with lactose or gluten in it. That's not a problem at all since my body actually rejects food with those elements. I'm awful at coming up with ideas, hence the post.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I'm currently following a diet plan from my coach, so not counting.... But prior to that, I would eat mountains of fruit and vegies in amounts to meet my macros. I had to purposefully eat less vegies as I was having issues with too much fibre and my digestion wasn't great. I have had a raw vegan coach in the past, and whilst I wasn't even vegetarian with her, the large amounts of raw vegies and smoothies eventually started to play havoc with my insides and health.

I love food so often choose volume over calorie density. I could quite easily get nearly all my carbs from fruit and vegies if I wanted.... I base most of my meals around vegies, then add the protein and fat. I'd choose vegies over pasta or grains, or bread etc. I have been "bulking" until recently, and incorporate more calorie dense carbs because I'd not get enough carbs otherwise!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor?
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    When I had to go dairy and gluten free, I found it really nice to look at Asian foods, especially recipes for traditional bento boxes. Just a GF organic soy sauce, or coconut aminos, if you are avoiding soy, and the majority of the recipes are gluten and dairy free. They typically involve a grain, a protein (like eggs or meat), and a good amount of veggies or fruit. Many fresh marinated veggies, and fermented or pickled foods are traditional, as well, so that goes well with the raw foods concept, I would think, too.

And the bento boxes are rather attractive and convenient to take with you when you have to take your own food somewhere. This was the site that was the easiest for me to get started with, as it had links to get bentos, the concept, recipes - mainly vegetarian - and more - http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Someone please elaborate. A fellow member had me trying this but I honestly suck at it, and not in a good way. Lol.
  • WMDB24
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Someone please elaborate. A fellow member had me trying this but I honestly suck at it, and not in a good way. Lol.

Raw Til 4 is a vegan inspired idea of eating ONLY raw fruits, veg, and nuts before 4pm and then afterwords you have some sort of a cooked dinner (preferably vegan for the diet) and possibly a snack before bed that is cooked.