6 Small Meals vs. 3 Moderate Meals

Options
So I was trying the "eat 6 small meals" versus the "3 moderate meals." And I have heard that the smaller meals can actually be worse for you. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Replies

• Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My .02. Do what works for you. Whenever you eat them, the calories are what matter and what will effect loss. If you want to eat 6 small meals, go for it. If you want 3 meals, go for it. Me? I often eat almost nothing for the first 10 hours of my day and eat all of my calories in the evening because that's when I get hungry. For close to 40 pounds it's been working for me.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What ever curbs your hunger the bottom line is to maintain that calorie deflict.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    There's a recent thread exactly on this topic... Go back a few pages or do a search you'll find it :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I do a little of both. I probably have 500 calories all day until dinner, then I have a big dinner and enough for a small snack before bed. I've lost a lot of weight since I found out most meal timing is just broscience.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Just eat however you prefer. Weekdays while I'm at work I snack all day then have a slightly bigger dinner, other days when I'm out doing something I enjoy I'll happily eat nothing until dinner. Whatever works for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    pruetta1 wrote: »
    So I was trying the "eat 6 small meals" versus the "3 moderate meals." And I have heard that the smaller meals can actually be worse for you. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

it doesn't matter whether you eat 6 or 1 meals a day

just your overall calories

do what suits you
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do what you can sustain long term. You'll find research that supports all approaches :smile: Historically humans have been grazers and bingers at different periods, we seem to have survived so far.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I plan on three meals, but I snack in between.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is a preference thing and nothing more. I prefer one large meal, one smaller meal and one snack a day.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    My .02. Do what works for you. Whenever you eat them, the calories are what matter and what will effect loss. If you want to eat 6 small meals, go for it. If you want 3 meals, go for it. Me? I often eat almost nothing for the first 10 hours of my day and eat all of my calories in the evening because that's when I get hungry. For close to 40 pounds it's been working for me.

This is perfect. Meal timing is all personal preference!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    six meals vs three meals matters for absolutely nothing. Do whatever allows you to stick to your calorie targets. I eat four times a day….
  • pruetta1
    pruetta1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The one that is best for you is the one that allows you to stay on track most comfortably.

For me, that means 2 meals a day. One small, one large. I like a big dinner. It's how I was raised.