Preventing a Plateau

Options
For those of you who have managed to NOT hit a plateau (if there is anyone), what do you think helped prevent it? Any tips, tricks and suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• mrmaher1
    mrmaher1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great question!! I've hit mine, and I need something to jump start my system again!!
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bostonbound85
    bostonbound85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes please! I am in the middle of one right now!!! Any tips??
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was advised my the trainer at my gym to switch up my exercise routine about once a month. Apparently your body grows accustomed to your routine and by switching it up, it's almost like shocking your system. It's proven to very helpful advice thus far.

Good luck and I hope my tip is helpful.
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't hit a plateau. I am only on week 3 but I am scared to hit one and get discouraged : (
  • Jenwex
    Jenwex Posts: 11
    Options
    I hit one not too long ago found out that uping my water intake drastically and excercising even more is what got me through it. Good luck.
  • eelozano
    eelozano Posts: 8
    Options
    You don't prevent it so much as deal with it when it comes. You'll want to analyze your diet and make sure that your plateau isn't just weight maintenance. If it really is a plateau then you have two choices. You can just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll get over it or you can make some changes to your diet/exercise to try and force your way past it.

Some people have success with adding a little more calories temporarily. Some people have luck with changing their exercise routine up. You'll need to figure out what works for you, but most importantly just realize that it's pretty normal and you'll just need to remain positive.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Well some of you maybe you are at the weight you should really be at. Do you look good and feel good then why do you need to loose those few extra lbs.

In away plateau are great. Your learning how to still eat correct and not put the weight back on. Now its time to do something different. Maybe for a few weeks you need to go off your diet to learn how to control what you eat and not put it back and still exercise. Then Start a 60 day transformation where you work your butt off eating good (counting Calories and exerciser). Your body needs a change it has become accustom to what your doing to it. Confuse it and move on. WE CAN DO THIS.
  • pamelalee08
    Options
    I agree with Manda...if you continue to do the same thing your body will get accustom to it and you will never break through because your muscles have memory and will stay the same.Try mixing it up, I do kickboxing/cardio every other day and the other days I do resistance training and it has done way more then my previous work outs of consistant repetition.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    What helped me was, surprisingly, taking a week off from working out and watching calories. I didn't go crazy or anything, but I didn't work out as hard as I had been and I ate what seemed healthy without paying attention to calories. At the end of the week. Went right backto my normal MFP regime and have lost 3 more pounds since then (3 weeks ago)

I don't know if this is good advice but it's what worked for me...maybe it's similar to the whole switching up your workout so youre body doesn't get used to it.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's not a single person out there who hasn't hit a plateau. I've been bouncing around between 142 and my highest 147 but mainly stickin to 144 for almost a year now. I'd love to see what 135 looks like however, if my body don't want to lose anymore weight I can't force it to lose anymore weight. As far as how to get outta a plateau there are alot of options. Calorie zig zaging, extra intense cardio or extra time spent doin cardio, addin a new exercise, cuttin a few carbs, or just wait it out. Plateaus usually don't last more than a couple of weeks anyways. As long as you are watching what you are eating and exercising you should be ok. ~Good luck~
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    lol i hit a ten pound loss and then went for four weeks without losing anything...so i ate everything i wanted too .....and i mean everything, i mean, some days i would even hit 3000
    i did this for a week and now im back on the diet

i DO NOT recommend this. all it got me was 2 pounds gained and nothing lost
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Chaning up the routine along with the zig zag method helps reduce the length of a plateau. it is absolutely normal to hit one do not fear it. As learned in class let your body get over the plateau do not try to force it.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I have any special method for this. I have been consistent with exercising (I walk 3-4 miles 7 days a week). Since I started my weight loss effort last July, I have increased my daily exercise (I started at walking 3-4 days per week at 1-2 miles per day). I think that increasing my activity level over time has helped to prevent plateaus. As I move forward I plan to start biking.

I keep my daily calorie intake at 1400-1500 per day. No foods are off limits but when I do go out for a hamburger and fries, I stay within my daily calorie limit.

I did have a two week spell in early February when I did not lose any weight. While this was really, really frustarting, I stayed the course with my diet and exercise and eventually started losing again.

Stick with your effort. My best advice is to remember that you are making a permanent lifestyle change. The approach I am taking is that anything I do to lose weight, is what I will continue to do for the remainder of life to keep the weight off.

Good luck!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I am trying to lose just over 70 pounds this time... the last time I had significant weightloss (three babies ago), I lost about 45 pounds with no plateaus in the process. I very closely watched what I ate during the week, but let myself eat whatever I wanted (within reason, of course) on the weekends. No calorie counting, allowing the eating of dessert, etc. I am down 26 pounds so far and haven't had a plateau yet, and I keep the same basic philosophy. I only count calories closely Sunday through Friday (and sometimes not even Sunday). Saturdays are my total day off-no exercising or calorie counting.
  • sbw3387
    sbw3387 Posts: 7
    Options
    I wilth Amanda also, I have been working hard at my weight lost now for 3 months a couple of weeks ago I hit a 'plateau' and regardless how hard I felt I was working with my routine and diet I just couldn't get the weight shifting again! But the advantage of hitting the 'plateau' is it has taught me to solider on and keep going.
    I have managed to get my weight loss going again by changing up my routine, and I have found that my now shorter more high impact routine of circuits opposed to aerobics has done the trick! Your body does get used to what exercises you do so the best way is to keep shocking it and mixing things up, trying new things but keep the older things included too that way you keep your motivation and interest in achieving your goal.
    Don't get disheartened by hitting a plateau, the smallest change can make the biggest difference. :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    4th month and no weight loss until last week . I have been stalled, so I needed to make a change.........So, now Im now eating more fats, good fats and more proteins, staying away from carbs, and doing more intense weight training and also talked to a trainer this am for 6 work out sessions.....it might cost me a bit, but Im stalled and cant lose this last 20

I will say, ( and again ,this applies not to eveyone) that I did change my diet, staying away from pasta for the time being, and eating more protein and good fats........I did lose 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks making this change......again, this is working for me, Im not a nutritionist, but I am hearing over and over again, to do more weights than cardio..........You keep burning more calories after you do weight strength training than cardio.....I recorded Dr Oz, and that was one thing he stated, USE THE WEIGHTS , then do some cardio ,but Weight training pulls your out of your plateau.......Good luck, keep us informed if you do find the answer
  • JustBrew
    JustBrew Posts: 2
    Options
    Plateau genuienly suck. The best way to avoid plateauing is to change your workout. Don't do the same things over and over and over. Think of it as muscle memory. Like most thing if you do them over and over they get easier and it takes less effort to do them. Less effort means less emprovement. Always be sure to push things further. Run harder. Work harder. Change things up. I know that we al have comforts in workouts but try and get uncomfortable. This means your doing something your not used to and probably working muascles you normally don't. Now I'm not saying to hurt yourself. Be careful. Theres a difference in pain and comfort. Mix workouts, if you like to bench press try throwing in an ab workout at the same time by doing reverse crunches (Legs out while the bar goes down, and legs in once you have lifted the bar). Or one legged curls. Be creative. If you're a runner or biker get off the friggen road, sprint up that hill you usually ignore. Jump over and on top of things. Get dirty. Enjoy nature. The world the best gym, you just have to see the path and go for it.
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of great ideas, and I am so impressed with all the awesome weight loss on this thread!