Should I hire a personal trainer?

Options
jdt242
jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
I have a small two month goal, leading to a life long fitness goal(s).

In the short term, should I hire a personal trainer to help me lose weight and lean down/tone up or should I just stick to group exercise classes at the gym? Will a (good) personal trainer really deliver results?

Money is tight - are they worth it?

Thanks in advance.

J

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eating less will help you lose weight. Just walking for exercise will be more than enough if you have no specific goals, and it is cheap and easy. A personal trainer will help if you have specific fitness goals. No personal trainer will help you lose weight,
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer pushes me harder than I would go on my own. He teaches me the things to do when I am on my own in the gym, we talk nutrition and he's fun to hang with for an hour, so for me, it's worth it. However it is expensive. if you can push yourself to reach your goals, then I wouldn't worry about it short term. For your long term goals, it might be worth investigating. Give a few sessions a try and see if it suits you. it's not for everyone.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Why hire a personal trainer when there are thousands of free training programmes out there online? BodyBuilding.com is a great resource for work out plans.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If money is tight then no you can watch a personal trainer giving directions to others that can easily afford them. The best thing you can do to help yourself is find a gym work partner, you are both accountable to each other. As pre mentioned there are lots of sites that offer direction with videos and nutrition info. I to find bodybuilding.com one of the best
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    a good trainer is worth the money. but if you are only trying to lose weight, just get a good nutrition plan.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer because I was unable to lose weight on my own. I didn't have any accountability outside of myself, I kept cheating and eating junk food, and I hated going to the gym. Having a personal trainer meant having someone I could check in with twice a week, look forward to meeting at the gym and work towards my goals together. It costs a lot of money, and we will probably have spent over $6000 by the time I get to my goal weight, but it is an investment in my health, and may mean I get an extra 10-20 years added to my life, which you can't really put a price on. For me, having a trainer was worth it, because I have Bipolar and am on medications that greatly increase my appetite and have caused me to lose a lot of weight. I didn't know whether it was possible for me to even lose weight, but since working out with him I have lost about five kilos and have toned up a lot. I think the online resources for free that people have suggested are a great idea. You shouldn't spend your money on a personal trainer if you are highly motivated by yourself. For me, I needed professional help. I also see a nutritionist every few months to provide me with a meal plan.