Seeking suggestions for training for a hilly half

Options
Hello,

I am signed up to do my first half marathon in August - yay!! I've been following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training program and will have that completed in two weeks' time.

The half I am running has two majorly steep hill climbs and I want to be well prepared. I've thought of a couple of different ways to go about doing this (all of these ideas would be put in place upon completion of my half training program):

1. Run the race course once each week (would serve as my weekly long run) leading up to taper time.
2. Maintain a weekly long run of 13 flat surface miles and incorporate short hill workouts (3-4 miles) leading up to taper.
3. Increase weekly long run distance to 15-16 miles flat miles (so I can silence the inner voice that I know will try to tell me I can't go the distance on race day:) and incorporate short hill workouts (again 3-4 miles at most) leading up to my taper.

I have roughly 8-10 weeks to incorporate the additional training. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - even those that differ from what I've listed!!!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So why are you on track to finish the plan in two weeks if the race is in 10? Did you find the plan difficult or were you looking for more runs?

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    My first half had 2 big hills, one was a 1 mile hill with around 190 feet vertical gain that they even offered awards for the fastest to make it from the bottom to the top.

From elevation charts in running apps I found a similar hill near me (actually the one near me is just a smidge steeper). I trained regularly on that hill. First as part of shorter runs, and eventually on all of my long runs. I had no problems with that hill on race day.

So my vote is option 1.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    So why are you on track to finish the plan in two weeks if the race is in 10? Did you find the plan difficult or were you looking for more runs?

No, plan is manageable. Because the course is hilly, my strategy has been to over prepare. Plus, at the time I started the program, I was toying with the idea of training for a full.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My first half had 2 big hills, one was a 1 mile hill with around 190 feet vertical gain that they even offered awards for the fastest to make it from the bottom to the top.

From elevation charts in running apps I found a similar hill near me (actually the one near me is just a smidge steeper). I trained regularly on that hill. First as part of shorter runs, and eventually on all of my long runs. I had no problems with that hill on race day.

So my vote is option 1.

That's what I've been leaning toward
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Rather than do the last 2 weeks (which is a taper) just rewind the plan so it finishes on your actual race day. You'll get the extra mileage and peak properly. Vote for option 3, specific tasks for specific days.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd lean towards option three, which is just a combination of one and two anyway. Hills sap your quads and glutes, so focussed hill sessions will build capacity there, while extending your long run gives you the mental confidence to keep moving.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The general wisdom is that your long run route should parallel the race course as closely as possible.

If you have the option to train on the course or part of the course itself, that's ideal!
  • TeresaPSJ
    TeresaPSJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    this is an issue for me, as my target run is mostly flat but has a few decent hills at the start, and I live in a very flat area. So, once a week, I'm doing a hill day - running back and forth over an intercoastal canal overpass with about 80 feet elevation gain.

I didn't do this last year, and wrecked my knees in the first 10 miles, struggled the next 8, and mostly walked the last 8! I also find that when I do this, my flat miles are less stressful.