Reaching goal on time.

Options
NerdyNix
NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I go on holiday on 23rd August. I want to be able to fit into my old skinny clothes by then. Otherwise, all the clothes I am wearing now will be too big and I'll need to buy a whole new set of clothes that will soon after become too big!
So I weigh 167lbs now. To fit into my skinny clothes I need to be around 130. So I need to lose close to 37lbs in 11 weeks which I think is just over 3lb a week.

Is this too ambitious or do you think it's possible?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    Ha ha! So it's ambitious but possible? B)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's too ambitious. Healthy weight loss is .5-2 pounds per week, with the higher numbers reserved for those who have more to lose.

10-15 pounds is a much more attainable goal in that time.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    Ha ha! So it's ambitious but possible? B)
    Possible, but too ambitious and, really, inadvisable. You'd have to eat at a deficit of almost 1700 calories a day below maintenance.

• NerdyNix
    Options
    I've lost 15lbs already since 20th April so I know I can lose more than 10-15 before August 23rd. And I've done it the right, healthy way! I lost 42lbs in 17 weeks a few years ago with weight watchers.
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    I'm obese by BMI standards. BMI is 30
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm obese by BMI standards. BMI is 30

Just barely. My BMI is 29.8, which is overweight.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We can work out the math.

3.36 pounds per week x 3500 = 11,760 calories per week goal deficit or 1680 per day.

Assuming you eat 1600-1800 per day, you'd need to burn on average about 3400 per day. 3400 out less 1700 in = 1700 deficit. *My assumption is that if you're working enough to burn 3000+ per day you're going to need to eat beyond the 1200/day minimum recommended level.

To burn 3400 per day:

BMR 1465 per day (estimate, based on your age & current weight should be close)
    Activity 250-400 per day (depending on how active your job, etc. is)
    Exercise/cardio 1500-1800

You'll burn an additional 300-325 calories per hour of brisk walking (approx 4.0 mph). So walk 20-25 miles a day and you'll be on target to hit your goal. Though as you lose weight, your BMR and calories burned for activity/cardio go down so you'd need to do more to keep up the deficit #.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're human, and just starting, that probably is NOT a realistic plan. So instead get started on something now that IS realistic. Perhaps aim to walk (insert other activity if you prefer) 30-60 minutes a day, aim for balanced nutrition in the 1400-1800 range, and expect to lose 1-2 pounds per week on average.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I've lost 15lbs already since 20th April...
    That's a third of a pound a day. While that's a lot, you'd have to lose half a pound a day from now until then to meet that goal. That's getting in the range of losing the weight 50% faster than you already are, and you're already losing at a substantial pace.

Again, not impossible, but not recommended, either.

• NerdyNix
    Options
    It was 32 when I started losing. I'm short so even though I don't weigh a massive amount, I'm still classed as obese.

Not for much longer though :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    It could be done, but it will take a lot of hard work and discipline. Do you best; maybe you don't have to be exactly that weight to fit into the clothes. Keep some handy and use them to measure how you're doing. When you can comfortable zip up the pants, you've made it! Good luck!
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There are great clothes to be found at thrift stores in my town. Why not budget for a fifty dollar shopping spree at the thrift store before your vacation? You could get about ten items that would be really fun. Then save the rest of your money for goal weight.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps-congrats on your progress so far. Some of the initial loss may have been water weight. Even so, you're better off now than you were 6 weeks ago. And can be even healthier, more fit in 11.
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    Yes I think I will fit in them if I can get wishing 7lbs of the goal maybe as I have been losing more inches than lbs. lost 5 inches on my hips so far by exercising everyday.

I'm on 1200 calories a day according to MFP. Set at lightly active.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the other thing I'd add is that the body doesn't necessarily drop weight in the same places you put it on at the same rate

so even if you did manage to get to your goal weight in the alloted time (which would be inadvisable as you would be losing more LBM than you otherwise need to) whose to say you would still fit nicely into your wardrobe

If I were you .. and it is totally your choice .. I would eat at a reasonable defecit - say to lose 1.5 - 2lbs a week and follow a progressive lifting programme .. and then I would look for a cheap, capsule wardrobe

dang girl it's a holiday .. a couple of swimsuits, shorts, skirts, t-shirts and something nice to wear out and about and you're sorted .. no?
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    1200 + exercise calories. If you work out aggressively, your body is going to need additional fuel. And in the above math example, walking 20-25 miles a day on 1200 calories in: you won't make it to the end of the 2nd week. Simply won't have the energy...
    Yes I think I will fit in them if I can get wishing 7lbs of the goal maybe as I have been losing more inches than lbs. lost 5 inches on my hips so far by exercising everyday.

I'm on 1200 calories a day according to MFP. Set at lightly active.

• NerdyNix
    Options
    There are great clothes to be found at thrift stores in my town. Why not budget for a fifty dollar shopping spree at the thrift store before your vacation? You could get about ten items that would be really fun. Then save the rest of your money for goal weight.

That's a pretty good idea actually. If I don't make goal I may do this :)
  • NerdyNix
    Options
    Ps-congrats on your progress so far. Some of the initial loss may have been water weight. Even so, you're better off now than you were 6 weeks ago. And can be even healthier, more fit in 11.

Thank you x
  • NerdyNix
    Options

rabbitjb wrote: »

dang girl it's a holiday .. a couple of swimsuits, shorts, skirts, t-shirts and something nice to wear out and about and you're sorted .. no?

You are very right! I won't push myself and don't worry, I won't do daft things to get to goal. Will just get as close as I can and hopefully feel more confident on my holiday :smile: