Intermittent Fasting

Options
124»

Replies

• chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have been reading through this post very interesting. Just wanted to ask on the days that you fast do you still continue with your usual exercise routines?
  • jaber18
    jaber18 Posts: 2
    Options
    Check out Leangains.com, extremely informative site showing the awesome benefits of IF, all of which is backed up by scientific facts.

i used to be a "if i dont eat every 3hours, my body will go into starvation mode" guy. i look back now and LOL. That *kitten* is so ridiculous haha. ive had nothing but great results from IF since i started last month. increased strength, muscle mass and im leaner. seriously makes dieting so much simpler and stress free. highly recomended. plus you get to eat big *kitten* satisfying
    meals and still LOSE FAT- not weight.

:-)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Have been reading through this post very interesting. Just wanted to ask on the days that you fast do you still continue with your usual exercise routines?

Yes, either cardio walking my dogs and at work (sometimes I am walking up to 8 or 10 miles per day) and I also have whole body lifting days (heavy lifting).
  • chantel111184
    Options
    Thanks for info will have a look at that site.
    Also what o you think about this as an eating plan
    mon 8am-6pm
    tues fast 18hr eat at 1pm
    weds 8am-6pm
    thurs fast 18hr eat at 1pm
    fri, sat, sun 8am-6pm

any advice is much appreciated
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options

There are various forms of Intermittent Fasting. The two that I'm familiar with are leangains and warrior diet.
    LeanGains method = 16 fast with 8 hour eating window.
    Warrior Diet = 20 hour fast with 4 hour eating window.

I'm using the LeanGains IF. I eat at noon and stop eating at 8pm everyday. I workout 6 days a week.

IF disspells the notion that you have to eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism moving. There are many research that shows that this is just not true. I used to eat 6-7 meals a day and it was such a pain packing all that food. Now I just eat lunch and a big dinner after a workout. Not only is it more convenient, eating tiny meals made me feel hungry all the time. Life is so much easier. I did not notice any major weight loss difference vs 6 meals a day. It was just better not to spread my meals out.
  • chantel111184
    Options

There are various forms of Intermittent Fasting. The two that I'm familiar with are leangains and warrior diet.
    LeanGains method = 16 fast with 8 hour eating window.
    Warrior Diet = 20 hour fast with 4 hour eating window.

I'm using the LeanGains IF. I eat at noon and stop eating at 8pm everyday. I workout 6 days a week.

IF disspells the notion that you have to eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism moving. There are many research that shows that this is just not true. I used to eat 6-7 meals a day and it was such a pain packing all that food. Now I just eat lunch and a big dinner after a workout. Not only is it more convenient, eating tiny meals made me feel hungry all the time. Life is so much easier. I did not notice any major weight loss difference vs 6 meals a day. It was just better not to spread my meals out.

So as i understand it 7 days of the week you eat 12noon till 8pm
  • GoinGoinGone
    Options
    I'll add my two cents for those who only care about results...

I've never been able to do it for a prolonged time, but I have done it for like 3 days at a time and found it to work for me. I can usually lose about 2 pounds the first day and a pound a day after that (let me remind you, I've only done it for 3 days tops)

But from what I've seen, it works. And also, I don't eat healthy at all on those days, I might eat 10 donuts and a burrito for breakfast or get a huge burger, fries and a candy bar. I'm sure if you followed healthy eating, you could have even better results.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks for info will have a look at that site.
    Also what o you think about this as an eating plan
    mon 8am-6pm
    tues fast 18hr eat at 1pm
    weds 8am-6pm
    thurs fast 18hr eat at 1pm
    fri, sat, sun 8am-6pm

any advice is much appreciated

Would suggest you keep the same schedule as closely as possible every day. Your body DOES release certain hormones when it expects to eat which causes hunger. If it expects to eat at 8:00 am and you don't eat until 1:00 pm you're just going to be hungry for those 5 hours.
    I'll add my two cents for those who only care about results...

I've never been able to do it for a prolonged time, but I have done it for like 3 days at a time and found it to work for me. I can usually lose about 2 pounds the first day and a pound a day after that (let me remind you, I've only done it for 3 days tops)

But from what I've seen, it works. And also, I don't eat healthy at all on those days, I might eat 10 donuts and a burrito for breakfast or get a huge burger, fries and a candy bar. I'm sure if you followed healthy eating, you could have even better results.

If you're losing 2 lbs in a day it's not fat or muscle loss.
  • hamton
    Options
    So as i understand it 7 days of the week you eat 12noon till 8pm

Usually that is the case. Sometimes on weekends I loosen up a bit. It's usually Saturday I tend to continue to eat a little later. Live a little. Like Teemo said, if you keep the same rhythm, your body gets used to it. Probably takes about 3 days for your body to adjust to the new schedule.
  • chantel111184
    Options
    Thanks all

Going to give it a try.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Fasting only slows your metabolism because it sends your body into storage mode. Along with this, it induces muscle wasting which impairs your BMR. Remember the more muscle you have, the more you burn. Ask any dietitian and they will tell you to avoid it unless it is medically necessary like before a surgery or before blood work.

I am sure, at least hoping that someone else has responded to this, but I want to emphasize that this response is so wrong that I have to respond.

1) Fasting Intermittently, for say 18-24 hours (even up to 36 hours) will not slow your metabolism. In fact it will speed it up.

2) It will not put your body in "fat storage mode" but will switch your body for that time to burning primarily fat.

3) If you do resistance training it will not promote any muscle wasting at all and thus will not impair your BMR in any way.

If you have a dietitian that says differently they have not read all the research on intermittent short term fasts. They are very good for you, and can be of great benefit because they increase Growth Hormone, improve Insulin sensitivity and other things as well. If you want to learn more check out Leangains.com and Eat Stop Eat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options

I do, and have no problem with it. I use the Eat Stop Eat approach. Leangain.com has a slightly different approach which I have considered as well, but have not used. In his approach you do not train fasted, but it is best to read both these approaches yourself rather than having me try to outline it to you.
  • hamton
    Options
    Leangains does encourage fasted training to some degree. Instead of truly fasted, Mark recommends 10g of amino drink right before. He said there is such a great benefit to fasted training, it's hard to ignore. I have tried fasted training early in the morning and it was great. I am at my strongest. I met and exceeded my personal records easily. I also think fasted training is the best way to get the last few stubborn fat off the body. I stopped doing because it wasn't convenient for me.