Trying to get Healthy

sunmoonstars
sunmoonstars Posts: 1
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
I am 43 yrs old and live in Ontario. I've been struggling with my weight since I was six years old. I see pictures of my older sister(who is eleven months older) and I and she is so much thinner than I am. I am the only one in my entire family that is over the 300lb mark. I'm not sure why. I've always wondered why me? But now I want to be healthy. I have type 2 diabetes and am insulin dependent. I take meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. I asked one of my doctor's what I could do to get off the meds and she said I could lose weight, but I will always be taking those meds. I find this very depressing. What kind of hope is that?

My biggest challenge is when I'm bored I eat. Happy, sad, upset, everything, I turn to food. I'm going through my second divorce and for the first year I lost weight because I was so stressed I couldn't eat. Now it's creeping back and I don't like it. I know people say get out and exercise, but I don't have the get up and go to even go for a walk.

Anyway, I'm going to log my food and see what happens. Someone recently told me that once you see where you are 'eating' your calories, it's easier to make changes. I'm hoping this is true.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    I know what you mean about not having the get up and go. When I first started losing weight I decided that I was just gonna cut down my calories, and wait till I lost some weight before I started exercising. I found once I dropped some weight it was easier to get up and and do something. Hope this helps :)
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    I hear you loud and clear.
    The first step is tracking your calories. I considered myself a "healthy" eater (mostly veggies) until I started recording everything.
    I am not a fast food junky but i was still eating 2k calories a day.
    The first week at 1200 calories was tough, but i've become used to it.
    The hard part was adding exercise. I started with walking just 30 minutes a day and gradually increased from there. Set really small goals.
    For example, I got home last night after putting in a 12 hours shift at the office. I was exhausted from not sleeping the night before and was in NO mood to excercise. I was struggling to find the motivation. I decided to get my butt up and walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes, 15 turned into 30 minutes.
    Once I'm up, I can keep going, its just getting there. Force your self to make this a daily part of your routine.
    Think about the benefits. As I was walking, I had my hands on my waist, I could feel the love handles and that was enough for me to push forward, I dont want to feel those anymore!
  • fatcat10
    fatcat10 Posts: 2
    I know the hardest thing for you to do is get the motivation to want to walk but that's the first step. My friend was up to the same weight and had almost all those same health concerns but 13 years younger. She has been trying her best to walk at least 20mins aday. Now she is down I believe 50lbs and still going. She is off her CPAP machine and her blood pressure is going down.

As for me in 2007 I lost 40 lbs and then in 2008 I gain that and more back from the stress of buying a house. My sugars were starting to creep up and I refuse to be a diabetic. So now I am trying to watch what I eat and started walking again. I have lost 15lbs since Jan.

I would suggest take a picture of yourself and put it in the restroom. Then find a picture or write a small goal of what you would like. Start off small cause big goal discourage you more. Try eating 6 small melas a day and lots of water. It really is hard to start but once you lose your for 10-20lbs and keep if off, I tell everyone in my office. Having a support team does help as well.

Hope you can do it, just have faith and be strong for yourself. Prove to yourself that you won't let your doctors keep you down. You can do this, just try and take the first step and walk to your mailbox 3 times and day.
  • lhalstead76
    lhalstead76 Posts: 5 Member
    I lacked the get up and go as well as fighting depression. My doctor put me on an anti-depressant. I think it's helping. Plus I have old pictures of myself that I can look at. Just knowing I need to pull up my foot by hooking on to the bottom of my pant leg is enough. I'm not comfortable, I'm hot, I'm miserable. I want more, and I deserve more, SO DO YOU!
This discussion has been closed.