Medication issues

Options
Is anyone else out there taking a medication that prohibits weight loss, but they can't get off of it? I am. I've been fighting this for the last ten years I've been on these meds. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't lose weight. I will admit, I'm new to this program (just a week) and I guess I just need to hear that it has worked for other people with my problem and what, if any, changes they had to make for it to work. And, please, if you're just going to tell me it's an excuse to be fat, move on. I've heard it all and I'm tired of it. You have no idea the battle I've been fighting. Only legitimate responses, please.

Replies

• ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yep. I take a medicine every day that makes me gain weight and retain fluid. I also have pcos, which also causes weight gain. Last year, I got really, really dedicated and dropped 30 pounds in 5 months by eating healthy and working out and using mfp as my tracker. I since "fell off the wagon" and gained some back, but now I'm dedicated again. You can do it. Work hard and dedicate yourself to it. The reward is that much sweeter. Good luck!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize! I had a terrible reaction to 2 different kinds of birth control and an antidepressant. It's a terrible feeling to feel like you have no control over your body. If you're not able to switch medications, you'll have to watch your calories very closely...get a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am on a slew of different meds, more than my 80 year old Gran takes. I have a lung disease called LAMs, and am waiting to be listed for a double lung transplant. There are two that make it very hard to lose weight, a heart medication and the EVIL PREDNISONE. I have, however, managed to lose 30 pounds so far. It's been a lot of hard work, and sometimes a constant fight, but it CAN be done. Now, I don't know what condition or problem you have, or what meds you are on, but with enough dedication, and most of all patience, anything can be done. I have to push myself harder, because it's easy to fall into the "well, I have a legit excuse to not workout" or "my whole life is crappy, at least I still have cake" mentality. Really though, I hate to use the "If I can do it, anyone can" line....but....there you have it. Patience and determination above all else.

Take care
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take seroquil and another medication that cause weight gain. The seroquil is really bad, because it actually disturbs how the body treats sugar and causes me to crave carbs once I take it. I leave a lot of calories for the end of the day when I take it because I know I will end up eating or have low blood sugar. I've lost weight on it before but it is hard. I have cut my dose in half and I'm willing to work as hard as I have to. Just because something makes it harder doesn't mean it is impossible. I'm just playing on a harder level. I have friends who put on 100 plus pounds on seroquil. They say the weight can't be lost and I say it can.

Oh yeah, I have PCOS too, a disorder that causes weight gain and blood sugar issues. If I can do it anyone can. But only if they want to. Nothing in my life has been easy, and I'm always up for a challenge. The key is to exercise lots and log everything and watch my sugar intake. Same as any weight loss goal with or without challenges. Cut the dose if you can and if you can't just keep going. Difficult isn't the same as impossible. I have a great blog post about this if you want to read it where I really spell it out.

you can read it here - http://divingintofitness.blogspot.ca/2015/05/time-for-tough-love.html

You can friend me if you like as well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have taken an antidepressant for over 12 years now (several kinds, it took me a while to find an effective one). Some are known to cause weight gain, others not. I gained on all of them but I always saw it as more of a symptom of the depression than a side effect of the meds. I also take seroquel at night in order to sleep and it is known to increase hunger. I make sure I have plenty of calories left over for a significant bedtime snack.

I have lost 109 lb. so far and am still taking the meds. The long term use of antidepressants is linked to T2 diabetes and, yes, I developed it (my weight also was a major factor). The metabolic issues with T2D as well as the medications has made the weight loss slower, but I have been able to do it. I really have to try to be aware of what is caused by the meds (like late night hunger) and what is just a bad habit I developed over the years and deal with the issues accordingly.
  • poolplayershannon
    poolplayershannon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I am on an anti-epilepsy medication, although I use it off-label for Von Willebrand's disease (a clotting disorder), among other things. It keeps my body chemistry level, which means I can't boost my metabolism to help burn calories, or reduce things like cortisol that tend to store fat. Without it, my red blood cell count plummets and I get anemic. I also don't sleep. I've cut my dosage back to the smallest level I can without a detriment to my health. I do okay maintaining my weight, but I'm looking at surgery and 12 weeks off my feet, so workouts other than PT will be extremely limited. Every time I have to go inactive, I gain weight and can't lose it again. Last time, I tore the ligaments in my lower back, was laid up for 5 months, and gained 50 pounds. I'm trying to prevent that from happening this time. I totally understand the "at least I have cake" thing, especially when it feels like your body is an enemy that you have to fight every single day. I think I'll invest in a food scale for sure, and I'm logging EVERYTHING, including spices used in my marinades.