i am 5ft 6 inches and currently weigh 178

is this a silly question?

2500? or 3000? or something like that?

Replies

• réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    ok, so if i wore my hrm ALL day

how many caloires would i have to burn every day for 7 days to lose 2 pounds

i am 5ft 6 inches and currently weigh 178

is this a silly question?

2500? or 3000? or something like that?
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    i think 3,500 calories = 1 pound....something like that.
  • réalta
    Options
    but if i wore my hrm all day, how many cals would be on my total? does that make sense?
  • lemondropdreams
    Options
    3,500 does = 1 lb.... but what is hrm?
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor. By subtracting 500 calories off your daily intake, most people eat around 1,200 calories, you will lose a pound a week. If you would like to lose 2 lbs a week, you will have to burn an additional 3,500 calories through exercose. I would suggest not eating under 1,200 calories.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    oops..had a response but then reread your question... my response didn't match what you were looking for..:laugh: :ohwell: :bigsmile:
  • réalta
    Options
    thanks guys, a silly question after a glass of wine, thanks anyway lol

:flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    You want to have a 1000 calorie deficit.

If you set your daily goals to your activity level, then that will factor in the the deficit.

So add 1000 to your goal and that is the estimate of total number of calories a day, make sense?

Actually, I have confused myself here! LoL.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, your hrm will tell you how many calories you burned in total. Then, if you want to lose 1 lb per week, subtract 500 calories from what your hrm reads at the end of the day. You might want to average several days of wearing the hrm, or get an idea of how many you burn on more active versus less active days. Hope this helps,
  • lemondropdreams
    Options
    what is hrm? heart rate monitor?
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    what is hrm? heart rate monitor?

yeppers!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You have to create a weekly deficit of 7000 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. It can be done but it is a lofty goal.

Also, I don't have an HRM so I don't know what to tell you about that.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • lemondropdreams
    Options
    so does the hrm tell you exactly how many calories you've burned throughout the day? sorry, clearly i don't know much about this thing lol
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    so does the hrm tell you exactly how many calories you've burned throughout the day? sorry, clearly i don't know much about this thing lol

Only if you wear it all day and have it on. There are all different kinds of HRMs, but mine, I'd have to wear the strap around my chest and have the watch set to excerise --> on, and it would keep track of my calories. I've actually thought of wearing it all day, just out of curiosity. But I think the strap would bug me.
  • lemondropdreams
    Options
    wow, that's so cool... is it just for running? or can it be for like running errands and dancing or other stuff like that?
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    One pound = 3500 calories. To loose 2 pounds you would need a calorie deficit of 7000 calories in one week. Essentially a deficit of 1000 calories a day.

So, if your heartrate monitor says that you burn 2500 calories in a 24 hour period than you would need to eat 1500 calories for a 1000 calorie deficit.

However, there is a caveat and it depends on how much overweight you are. The general consensus is that you have to eat at least 1200 calories a day in order to get enough nutrition to support your body functions. So, if your body only burns 2000 calories a day than this site recommends that you not eat less than 1200 (or an 800 calorie deficit).

The higher your BMI the larger you can safely go on a deficit. If you need to loose 50 pounds or more you can probably pretty safely work on loosing 2 pounds a week. Otherwise, it is healther to plan on loosing a pound or less a week.

Hope this helps.